What are you doing today ? 2019

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2019, 10:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "Arnold"
Quote from: "phat46"We are currently under a Winter storm warning with 8-12" of snow possible in a narrow band along Lake Huron (lake effect snow) I'm a half mile from the Lake so I thought I better prepare. I went out to start the generator and snow blower. The generator stated on the third pull, can't remember the last time it ran. The blower started halfway through the first pull, it's been sitting since last Winter with a full tank. I take this as a sign we won't really get any real snow. If I were to actually need them it would have taken an hour and some tools to get them started! 😄

I'm on the West side of Georgian Bay..maybe a bit south in latitude from you.. a mile from the lake :lol: same forecast for today..Tuesday

We ended up with about 11.5" here, my brother just about 15 miles north, right on the Lake got 18". The snow blower got a workout, as did I, but things are pretty much running normal today, no stores closed, roads are good, no big problems. It does look like the 402 between Sarnia and London was still getting hammered from the lake effect stuff this morning.

Ya..the 402..can be a BIT iffy.. :lol:....from about late Sep. TO late May :roll:

phat46

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "phat46"We are currently under a Winter storm warning with 8-12" of snow possible in a narrow band along Lake Huron (lake effect snow) I'm a half mile from the Lake so I thought I better prepare. I went out to start the generator and snow blower. The generator stated on the third pull, can't remember the last time it ran. The blower started halfway through the first pull, it's been sitting since last Winter with a full tank. I take this as a sign we won't really get any real snow. If I were to actually need them it would have taken an hour and some tools to get them started! 😄

I'm on the West side of Georgian Bay..maybe a bit south in latitude from you.. a mile from the lake :lol: same forecast for today..Tuesday

We ended up with about 11.5" here, my brother just about 15 miles north, right on the Lake got 18". The snow blower got a workout, as did I, but things are pretty much running normal today, no stores closed, roads are good, no big problems. It does look like the 402 between Sarnia and London was still getting hammered from the lake effect stuff this morning.

Ya..the 402..can be a BIT iffy.. :lol:....from about late Sep. TO late May :roll:

I was out this morning and though it was sunny here, looking out over the Lake to the east of Sarnia the sky was dark grey and the clouds were heading south off the lake, still storming on the 402. The Weather Channel has a show about the Winter troubles on the 402!

Crosley.In.AZ

Calm saturday here...  over cast with clouds.

it was 53*F here the other morning.  No snow stayed around long..  :lol:

Fired up the smoker - bbq..  A few burgers, steaks , Italian sausage was smoked.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

Gee, Tony, the mailman must have lost my invitation. :) Is Showlow way colder than your area?
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"Gee, Tony, the mailman must have lost my invitation. :)

Is Showlow way colder than your area?

The burgers were good... the other smoked meat will be used the next 2 weeks or so.

Show Low AZ area is 25 to 30 degrees cooler at night this time of year.. 170 miles from here (north - east) and 4k higher elevation will do that.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

I finally stopped the leaks I had on these lawn irrigation valves.. I replaced all 6  tops on the valves.  Did not need to dig up the area.
Tony

kb426

TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I put the engine back in the Ranger again yesterday morning.  It fought me the day before but I determined that the aluminum valve covers were causing the problem.  I switched to the sheet metal covers to install the engine and then switched back to the aluminum after the engine is in.  The taller valve covers keep me from tilting the engine enough to get it in position.  Everything is so tight in the engine compartment.  Most things are fitting okay but I do need to make some minor adjustments.  The dipstick for the transmission is a big problem and I do not want to use a Lokar.  I will leave it in place for a couple of days while I fiddle with some stuff then out she comes again.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"Gee, I think I see a shoe. :)

Gesundheit.......
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

The rack and pinion on the 72 has been slowly leaking. It annoyed me enough that I have replace the unit this evening. I bought a low mileage unit from LKQ. I installed it but I didn't have time to do a front end alignment before I quit this evening. It wasn't bad to exchange but there was a few items that had to be removed from the fabrication involved on the 72. :)  I'm about to have cold weather again so it will get finished up when it warms up a little.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

spent the last 2 nights dis assembling and re assembling a 9" diff for my 65 Merc truck . Had to take the 28 spline side gears from one unit and install them in another . I am replacing a leaky tired 3.70 set with a better 3.50 set I had laying around . Machined a .040 shim so I could re use a crush sleeve and set the pinion preload with a new seal as well . Need to torque the ring gear and set up the contact pattern tomorrow . Hope to have it all buttoned up so I can measure for a driveshaft tomorrow. After that its time to rewire for the electronic ignition and make some exhaust , change out brake hoses and hopefully start driving this truck again. 351HO with edelbrock performer intake , mustang headers , quick fuel carb and a 4degree advance on the cam. It should be more fun to drive than the worn out 6 cyl it used to have . It would be nice to have something fun to drive again .

kb426

C.K., I have been using the solid spacers instead of crush sleeves with better results. I've had some leaking pinon seals with age and found the crush sleeve had lost it's effectiveness. It surprised me because that's all I used for decades on street cars.
This afternoon, I ran the 72 in and torqued all the fasteners on the steering gear. I was still getting foaming in the fluid. The service manual said to connect a vacuum pump and suck all the air out. That's what I did today. The fluid level went down. I filled it back up and it seems to be working properly. I have never had to do that before. Maybe I've just been lucky. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I found a nice '46 wheat penny today.  :)
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Worked on the car trailer today... mostly finished the wheel bearing & seals , clean out the brakes, lube stuff.

Found a Worn brake magnet.. worn into the wires.  Looks like the wires in the magnet were not properly located when the wires were glued in. The wires are near the top on the section that contacts the wheel hub to apply the brakes

Took the air dam off. base wood is rotted .... Aluminum base is cracked bad in couple spots.  Pictured cracks are about 10 inches long.

I will likely cut out all the wood base material and replace...Going to be some fiberglass work done... this trailer is near 30 years olde now
Tony

sirstude

Headed to the post office in a couple of hours to get my first time passport.  Montana's current drivers license won't work after the first of the year for airplanes.  We have a new special license with "Real ID" that can be purchased but the waiting list to apply for a new or renewal license of any type is about 3 months and the passport was 2 days.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us