What are you doing today ? 2019

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2019, 10:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

This was the last nice day for a while again. I changed oil in the daily driver and fixed the stereo. Occasionally, the right channel would drop out. I replaced the head unit a few years ago thinking that it was just another aftermarket short life unit. Well, in a while I knew that wasn't the problem. It would randomly drop out and then come back on. A few months ago it dawns on me that one of the wires is about to break apart. :) After I pulled the head unit, the 1st speaker wire I pulled on came apart at the crimp connector. I repaired that and I believe I'm good for a while. :) The next item may be of no interest to some of you. I purchased a raspberry pi computer. I'm going to see if I can learn python programming to use this as an interface for obd2 feeds and gauge clusters. I assembled the unit and ran the setup. It's been running for the last couple of hours performing a burn in. My past exp. has been that somewhere around 5 to 8 hours is where the initial failure occurs if you have a defective unit.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

It bothers me that the leads on the back of battery cut off switches are exposed and it would be easy to short either of them to ground.  Most new cars have some kind of cover over the positive battery terminal.  I made this simple rubber cover by punching two holes in the ends of a 1 inch wide strip of rubber.  These holes are slightly larger than the terminal so that they will not interfear with the connection .  I then added a zip tie to gather the rubber strap in the middle.  The strap hole goes on first and then the cable.

This is not fool proof but I think it makes the connections a little harder to short to ground.  The photo angle makes the terminal look more exposed than it is.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I started my day at daybreak, running the snow blower to clean the drive and walks. It had quit snowing by then so I think that will be the end of that for a while. Nothing else worth mentioning.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

Sunny and 26* this morning. We haven't had more than a total of 6" so far this winter. I like it!

I'm getting ready to refit the 350/4 speed back in my '40 Ford coupe. Then I can finish the mechanical clutch linkage. I'm a dinosaur and dislike the hydraulic throw out bearings with a passion so it's worth the effort to do levers and a z-bar system...'55 Chevy dumb so to speak.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

58 Yeoman

About 30* here today, and it took me a couple hours to clear most of the driveway with the Toro power clear snowblower. I measured 11" in the middle of the driveway where there wasn't any drifts. Very wet, so the Toro had to really work today.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Sunday morning, it was 44*F here...  We had fog again.  Not as hvy like weeks ago.  We got thru it again.

I sprayed the front desert rock part of my yard with pre-emergent product to slow the growth of weeds.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

416Ford

Installed air lines in the far side of my pole barn yesterday. I needed to take the wheels off my 55 and the hose froze up that reached from the compressor to the far side of the barn. I have had the parts to do if for over a month now but I always had something better to work on.
16 here this morning and I we have only had about 3 inches of snow so far.  );b(  );b(
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

It's time to replace my wife's car. This is an every 6 to 7 year escapade. I spent the afternoon in front of the puter doing research. My eyes are sore and my brain is tired. It hasn't been very enjoyable the last 2 times and I see no reason to think this time will be better. Cain't wait to go to a dealership and get started. LOL
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "kb426"It's time to replace my wife's car. This is an every 6 to 7 year escapade. I spent the afternoon in front of the puter doing research. My eyes are sore and my brain is tired. It hasn't been very enjoyable the last 2 times and I see no reason to think this time will be better. Cain't wait to go to a dealership and get started. LOL

You think that she would be interested in a Ford pickup :?:  :?:   I know where there might be one.... :idea:
Pretty reasonable too...Should be available in a couple of weeks ... :lol:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, unless a heat wave arrives, a couple of months will be more accurate. We had icy fog yesterday morning. That was a lovely way to start the day. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

This arrived yesterday afternoon. I unpacked and plugged it in. It powered up so if it will warm up enough to work, I'll get it mounted. After reading the manual and thinking about it a bit, I think I'm going to have to learn Chinese and go back to algebra class for a refresher. There are several youtube videos to watch so some of that will be simple. relearning algebra might take a while. :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I finished up the chassis wiring of the 1959 Anglia "Felix" and then I cleaned the shop a little.  I got word today that the engine computer should be on its way here soon.  I have been reading the instructional manual online.  It will do a lot of interesting task including sequential fuel injection, ignition timing on each cylinder, and a lot of things that we will not use.  Here is a link to the computer.   https://www.fueltech.net/products/ft600-complete-package-builder

Here is another picture of Felix.  I am learning to edit and post photos with my mew computer.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, I looked over that website. It appears that it's not self tuning. Is that correct?
I took a little road trip today. I went almost 500 miles round trip to retrieve a 1994 Tbird irs rear suspension. This is am 8.8 but it has drum brakes. It's real ugly and I don't have a absolute plan yet. Those rears are tough to find in my part of the world.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I'm in Las Vegas picking up a car I bought last August. Daily driver type, but low mileage and no rust. My son has been driving it for the last several months until I could get out here. I am leaving to go back next week, yesterday it developed a miss on number three cylinder. So I have to remove the intake plenum to get to it. I ordered six coil packs, and a new set of plugs to install this weekend. I am only going to do this once.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Did a quick painting, trying some new things, about two hours from a blank piece of hardboard to finished product. I like this one. It's 12" X 16"