Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Model A man says the supercharger is a sure thing. Boss is ready to see some mud on it. I am about ready to button up door openings, etc and get the aprons back on. I stuck a back tire under it for a few minutes during the customer visit today, to stare at and perpetuate enthusiasm. They were working at colors to paint the wheels which I bet will be here in April or May. My mind is starting to go on the '51 already as I finish this It was a messy weather day for some around here today so I spent the first half of the AM sanding Cat grille shell pieces.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426":)

I find myself thinking of it in past tense, KB.  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Oh, but she's a fighter... :roll:

The bead was too flat there at the bottom-

So... :roll:  :roll:

I cut it at the gap, about halfway up, and tried again-

Alas, a flat spot remains up where I didn't go far enough  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

So there I am, and here we are. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Tap, trim, bend, adjust, done.  :D

Gaps ok, seal fit OK, bondo under 1/8" OK, function OK. IDJ, OK.

So I squared up the tag pocket with cut n weld-

Just a corner showing how gap is filled by mockup weatherstrip pieces-

Connected the cable, sort of  :lol: -

and-

More trimming needed but this ought to suffice for getting gas in-

Of course the flap and quarter positions weren't still exact so adjustments were required. I remembered needing to extend the arm tangs and that helped. So did making a stubby allen wrench to clamp arm to hinge-

Stuck the front tank house wall back in-

Matt

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Oh, me and my overly elaborate gimmickry  :roll:

Gas flap arm didn't clear the cap anymore. It was suggested to trim the cap so I did that-

Working to mount right apron currently-

Matt

idrivejunk

As you may remember, I folded back the part that sandwiches between body and frame originally-

I put a row of screws there-

Still has too much gap under the body for my liking-

So I marked apron at body edge for a new row of holes about an inch in from there-

Tried the door sill I had made back on-

But I have since had an idea for a better way or ways. Stay tuned. Here are areas where the right side fenders need work at corners-

Matt

idrivejunk

Retrimmed the apron, put screw holes out near body edge. Installing apron between pan and floor rail to help the body to apron gap-

Was unable to get screws through below the cowl. Too many odd thick layers and welds, broke all my bits and shoulders plus spine are on the verge of inop. Had to stop there. Gap looks like so, which satisfies me-

I had to just pick up the mess and start a sit down task. Was ready to hang front fender but there was my erronious cut from the rough sketch phase in it-

Beats nothing, I reckon. I am sore and bed is calling.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

jaybee

Wow, little bitty adjustments just all over the car. Reminds me of a 48 Buick I saw one year in the showcase area at Des Moines Goodguys. Among everything there this one just sucked me in because the whole car was gapped like a Lexus...perfect and uniform everywhere you looked. The owner was there, he admitted it took a whole lot of time and work to get it that way.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)