Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Got that top row welded up, and some other various stuff. Found a use for the old shock bolt hole covers too.

This goes inside the roll pan underneath the trunk latch support-

This will be a third layer at the lower, lapped seam-

Goes in like this, but is shown just kind of pushed into place and not fastened. A forward extension of the roll pan. Need weld holes on edge of pan but you get the idea-

Stick head in trunk, look toward knee. Back edge of trunk well pan welded to tail panel. Not a nice looking seam but secure-

I'll need to epoxy stuff before that piece goes in, of course.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

jaybee

Dang, that last pic you posted is the best one yet! This is going to a hot looking beast.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

I still only see one tail light opening. Is this being rethought?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

The car does have some squatty attitude at low angles.

Once I had a tail light spot in there it occurred to me that the angle of the top may need adjustment once the car is at an established rake with meats in place. Parallel to the floor may appear to stick up and I don't want an uphill pod but slightly downhill as it slopes to the bezel. That and the body will undoubtedly be the first thing tackled after me, parts probably later.
Matt

idrivejunk

Leveled the car, checked bottom of roll pan... nailed it.  :D

Moving onward and upward, checking other key horizontal elements, the roughed-in trunk rear gap needed more whittling to make the gap not only consistent but also level. The tail panel bottom bead droops on the right side but is within range of reasonable mud shaping there and already knew that. Same with the sort of sloppy tag pocket opening and the slightly off back window opening but those are metal fixes if determined to be issues. Starting at the bottom and working my way up. Towards that day when I, and we, can look at it from behind and be satisfied.

Sliced and tapped the top part down-

Took Frank's advice this time and welded thick metal onto that right side.

There was trimming and welding on the left half of the lid edge also, and it is still just roughed in because the foldover on the inside is kind of a mess still.

Checking stuff-

New meat-

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

chimp koose

idrivejunk

Spent most of the morning measuring that fastback. Owner wants it in primer. An individual put floors, rails, quarter, etc on it for him. It had been sideswiped and rusted. Looks like the B pillar caught a sawzall as part of the "collision repair process"-

Left side done-

Trunk side gaps are awful tight. Using a fresh posterboard edge, checking for even tighter spots-

Lid sides are nice and I can move it side to side a little. Main qtr lump over here, I can solve while closing in that left corner-

Still pretty tight. Doesn't need rattle room, can be snug but the right side is about as maximum tight as I would like while the left is just barely tighter than that. I made it that way because in this case wider is not better, with the perimeter seal surface so narrow. Figured I could shove the jambs apart with a friction jack at this point, with quarters just tacked to jambs. That did not work, I tried. Too rigid, I was going to hurt stuff pushing it.

So how do a sixteenth side gaps grab ya? :?:  :arrow:

Matt

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Getting started at front of trunk. Gaps all around are at about 1/8" now and heights are OK but the bead going across the window panel still sits high on the right. I had to level the Mustang on stands and re-measure it. Somehow I messed up, probably didn't crank the jack handle hard enough. Today I mostly just got it semi leveled and got a quick few measurements. Enough to see its not that bad.

Heres where I left off the A. I don't doubt that once I get the bead down on the right, I will have to bring the roof down as well. Which means the structure behind that, too. We will see.

Matt

idrivejunk

I have one trunk front corner welded-

At long last, I am satisfied and verified, confirmed and committed...

Except for the way too narrow trunk lid side gaps. Sooo, this cut ended up going the whole way down-

The plan there is to move the lid to the right and only cut the already a mess side. It will work. I shall try to build a case for fabbing a new bead rather than causing a bondo guy to need psyche help later.

As she stands... (I was caught up in my own Mustang measuring quagmire part of the half day) Seemed like a long week, man.

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt