Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Quote from: "jaybee"Wow, little bitty adjustments just all over the car. Reminds me of a 48 Buick I saw one year in the showcase area at Des Moines Goodguys. Among everything there this one just sucked me in because the whole car was gapped like a Lexus...perfect and uniform everywhere you looked. The owner was there, he admitted it took a whole lot of time and work to get it that way.

This wasn't a maroon 48 Roadmaster convertible was it? I was involved in the build of one like that about 25 years ago. The bodyman worked on that the best part of a year, full time. One of the few unlimited budget cars I have worked on. The body line on the front fend ran from the headlight to the rear bumper at the same angle all the way.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

I don't know where the "unlimited budget" idea comes from but the fact I am fixing these spots really shouldn't wow anyone. Unless "anybody" would paint the car leaving them alone. People don't come to us for garbage. Look at the befores again-

Matt

enjenjo

I don't know where the "unlimited budget" idea comes from but the fact I am fixing these spots really shouldn't wow anyone.

The unlimited budget comment was not directed at you, and what you are doing. In the case I am talking about, the owner paid my labor rate, plus my union health and welfare benefits for me to build his chassis while I took a layoff from my regular job for 5 weeks. The car we started with was a nicely restored car with no problems. Even though it was a very nice car to begin with, every panel was reworked. For instance the rear fenders were cut into 17 pieces and reassembled along with parts of another pair of fenders to get the shape he wanted, and all seams were hammer welded and metal finished inside and out. It was upholstered in white leather.. twice, the owner was not happy with the color the first time. He spent well over six figures to have this car done, and likely half of that was wasted on things that made no difference in the finished car.

idrivejunk

My gruff stuff wasn't directed at you or anybody enjenjo, it just has nowhere else to go. I am not too good at boxing up personal frustrations and they come out. I ought to immerse myself in the treasure trove of newfound rod reference materials I stumbled onto and relax.  :wink:

Some of the 40s-early 50s builds seen and read about are out of this world. I can only imagine the one you got in on is right up there. The scale thing has always been and always will be tough to grasp. Hungry artists destroying themselves to be part of glorious constructions of wealth is timeless. My mantra, credo, rule or whatever... is to do all I can to see to it that the customer has it their way as much as possible. Newest guy was inquiring today about where-to-stop guidelines, frustrated over clarity of instructions and I laid guidelines as best I could. Once a task is yours, you will make some decisions on it BUT... you better have a clear picture of how the boss sees it. I found that asking, upon reciept of new big task or parts to repair or prepare, for a number between one and five or ten as to quality can help translate wishes in a nutshell.

I spent at least an hour conversing today, mainly with Pantera and 51 blown Coyote pickup dudes but also boss and bodymen. Lots to think about and the customers are so pleased it is unreal sometimes. Lots of returning thank yous and giving handshakes and getting donuts and pizza and treats. Little old dusty smelly us appreciate that. Got a good story off Pantera guy today and Mr Biscayne & '51 shared ideas he likes... see thru speedo cluster a'la later T bird or Fairlane and the car tail lights that are an oval laid horizontally, 50 or 54. Conversations run together at this point, visited my folks today too. Friday half days are starting to be distraction days. :roll:  

But I made some progress which I will gladly show you as I wind down conversation mode for the day. :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

I figured that cowl lip is the dead simplest thing I can tack up there that Mike or I could potentially just fill in between it and the firewall. Cowl needs some touch up welding and such, and theres finishing to be done on the front fender next time it is off as well. I did take that angle iron off the cowl-hood today.

Couldn't finish another week without something going on the cowl. After some rest and with some new 1/8" bits I'll tackle the left apron stuff and whatever board bracket refitting is necessary. I do hope that fabrication continues to be part of my work but just repairing for awhile might be refreshing, as it frees my mind to process life more as opposed to forcing a stream of creativity as in fabrication. Looking forward to new projects but I will kind of miss this one, it has been quite the teacher.

I will let you guess whats in these boxes-

Matt

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "jaybee"Wow, little bitty adjustments just all over the car. Reminds me of a 48 Buick I saw one year in the showcase area at Des Moines Goodguys. Among everything there this one just sucked me in because the whole car was gapped like a Lexus...perfect and uniform everywhere you looked. The owner was there, he admitted it took a whole lot of time and work to get it that way.

This wasn't a maroon 48 Roadmaster convertible was it? I was involved in the build of one like that about 25 years ago. The bodyman worked on that the best part of a year, full time. One of the few unlimited budget cars I have worked on. The body line on the front fend ran from the headlight to the rear bumper at the same angle all the way.

This one was a metallic forest green with saddle tan top and interior. Credit the owner for not trying to take all the credit. Without hesitation he said he just paid the bill, his bodyman was the real genius.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Hey guys, silly question(s)... is it safe to assume no sunvisors?  :?:

Is the whizbang interior man going to want to use a cardboard headliner?

Will he need an extra flange just behind the windshield bed?

Do we want the metal or the upholstery to make the corner where jamb becomes interior?

Thats the tip of the iceberg in the interior attachment dep't which is in my pro-active thoughts.

I think if I finish all that out and get the cowl lip and hood latching rig in place but leave radiator mounting and firewall / front floor / toe board area and dash mounting unfinished, that will be best for Mike to pick up and carry onward. But I am now thinking of what sort of "leave" (in billiard or golf terms) makes an easy putt for the interior guy too. He is a seasoned pro, I am green as grass in that area.

Your thoughts, advice, input, examples, etc are invited. Based on what I have shown along the way. Help me generate sensible options. I don't want what I do to dictate what goes in it, but do want to provide an easy foundation to build on. Around the side and back windows and in the trunk I have good mental pictures already but the rest is just so wide open. :?:  :idea:  :arrow:  :?

Thank you much.  :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

enjenjo

I kind of like the first one too. But if you know who is going to do the interior, I would ask them what they prefer.

idrivejunk

I am going to set it up like a modern pickup door jamb, weatherstrip and all. I think. You'll see. I have the left side pieces attached and gapped but the left rear fender is off to weld a fix where it meets apron. Rushed out so just this pic today-

Matt

idrivejunk

I just trimmed the front lip off the big flange from the new cowl top panel, patched where the center dip was, and used it.

This is the 56 pickup dash to be recombobulated for the A-

Matt

kb426

I'm looking forward to see how the dash evolves. I have 2 50 Ford car dashes that I bought to put in the 32. I saw one that had 13 pie cuts to make it work. I became too busy driving it so I have the dashes stored for something else.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

The cluster is intended to end up in the center. Cutting of new part required just to see if the cluster fits it. The fiberglass piece may only get used as a reference for a new construction, I am told. I doubt I will recieve the task myself. I produced a rendering that can be found somewhere in this thread which depicts round vents at each end. An aftermarket cluster using a stock bezel has also been shown previously.
Matt

idrivejunk

I may have talked boss into having a metal lower dash and upholstered fiberglass upper. Today I started just wrapping up various loose ends, the 51 job begins Monday per the current plan.

I finished that thing in the last pic then did door jamb stuff but didn't take any pics this afternoon.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt