Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crdnblu

My thoughts:  It's a model A; trying to make any parts "swoopy" kind of takes away from the charm of the older body style.  Simple rolled edges should suffice; no need for flairs, or numerals, to detract from from the clean lines that you have created, IMHO.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "crdnblu"My thoughts:  It's a model A; trying to make any parts "swoopy" kind of takes away from the charm of the older body style.  Simple rolled edges should suffice; no need for flairs, or numerals, to detract from from the clean lines that you have created, IMHO.

So thats a vote for plain holes in hood sides (with rolled edges) and no cattle catcher? My thought is that with no bumper, the protruding sheetmetal appears unfinished. Mike wants a plain long bumper if it gets one. But it won't get anything, if I had to make a prediction. The bumper mock up really doesn't make the part below the grille look any less crappy to me as I had hoped. Tore it off this AM, didn't throw it away. I tried what I could think of. In my opinion what it might be (for others) wise to consider is just something that looks like a deuce spreader bar. I don't like the idea of wheels and tires being the first thing destroyed in an impact, and I think full width bumpers jab tires when hit. Neither is good. In toward the center, control arms being the actual roadkill interface object has little appeal as well. You gotta be able to steer after a small impact.

Now lets see... tapered top chop, smooth deuce shell, fender bob, flush gas flap, roll pan, flush shaved doors with hidden hinges, tucked drip rails, ribbed roof insert, shaved trunk, inset tail lights, motorcycle headlights, headlight bar delete, both bumpers and spare tire delete, smooth running boards, smooth cowl top with no seams, tail panel with no seams, flush stationary windshield, rumble seat delete, wheel tubs, modern chassis for altered stance...

Which among those belong on the flares and lettering aisle? I am assuming you meant stuff from the last couple days, you weren't specific.
Matt

idrivejunk

The two (of four required) pitted running board brackets I have, that were on the car, aren't long enough at either end and interfere with the aprons. Nobody I asked about it was willing to go more than a minute before saying just make some. I will. While I waited for feedback on what to do, I started on the gas flap task. Didn't get very far but stuck with that for today.

Made a metal tater chip to practice with so hopefully can use the actual cutout as the door. Set the supplied hinge bracket aside after try #1. Try 2 in progress with brackets made of scrap and not to a point of being in proper position yet. Hinge or door. None of it. Only thing these pics prove is that I made a little bracket so the flap can unscrew from the arm, and that the parts are in the hole. Very last picture shows what I envision as the nozzle approach trajectory. The owner is right handed.

Matt

chimp koose

I kind of lost track of how many mods you had made to the car over the course of the build :shock: That is quite a list!  The thing that makes this hobby interesting is when someone tries out something new and it works out .

crdnblu

Proposed hood-side changes caused me to pause.  I thought "clean lines that you have created" showed support for your excellent work; just to clarify.  My apologies.......

idrivejunk

No apology needed, but I will take the clarification. I got your positive tone, just wasn't able to muster one at the time of my reply. Thanks and I didn't mean to step on a toe. Disapproval is fine but I take issue with vague explanations of it.

My Grandpas would not approve of ANY modifications but some, you guys expect. Nobody probably ever wanted a top chop until they saw one.  I was born too late to have the what not to do when putting a 2011 engine in a 1930 car traditional rodder reflex. The shape of the mustang opening just happens to fit. Nothing has to stick out except engine. The car doesn't have to have hood sides. I just have to know which seal to build for but the only path to that answer leads through the hood sides forest. Instead of stamping my feet and bawling, I generate options and try to sort the best of those to present. It truly makes no difference to me what style they pick.  I try to pull folks, not push. :wink:
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"I kind of lost track of how many mods you had made to the car over the course of the build :shock: That is quite a list!  The thing that makes this hobby interesting is when someone tries out something new and it works out .

Thats what I thought the rodding tradition was about... new solutions, not replicated memories. Loose allowance for change, not strict. Wide open.

Thats why I get so puzzled by all the lines people draw and say you can't step beyond or you have violated something sacred. Rodding is ate up with that, and the musclecar crowd is not far behind. I say be who you are and live a little. You want some mustang stuff on your model A? I will see where I can work it in, past the naysay filter. I never know what will catch on. :?

No pics today, didn't take any. Looks about the same. I figured out the hinge orientation I want, and with the scrap brackets I was able to see it fit and work, almost exactly as planned in my head. So I flapped the flap several many times just to be sure that was real. Then I began swapping back to the provided bracket and repeating that. Needed to extend the bracket a small amount to connect it to the structure. Ran out of time.
Matt

enjenjo

Go here  https://www.mcmaster.com/magnetic-catches  and look at this one for a latch 15735A66. You push in to unlatch it, it pops out to get your finger under the lid to open it. Slick deal, and only $2.54 each. I have used them several times on gas doors.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

It has one magnet pocket in the hinge to draw down the arm at the base and another cylindrical apparatus with magnet in the pocket for the fill neck which draws down the tip of the lid. Could very well be a plunger thing, so it may be constructed that way already but I haven't messed with that part at all.

Is heat the only reason not to weld near magnets?  :?:  :?  Just checking.
Matt

enjenjo

heat is not the only reason, but heat can weaken a magnet
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hagan-FDTL-Universal-Gas-Fuel-Filler-Door-Magnetic-Touch-Latch,46228.html I used one of these on my glove box door.  Works like the ones on stereo equipment.  You push on the door and it pops out so that you can grasp it and open the door.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

I posted a link on July 31st.

http://www.haganauto.com/product_p/45tdc.htm

I posted a pic on August 7.

There they are again, for your convenience. Your ship has sailed, gents.

Its magnetic, open and shut. It is Hagan brand.

You guys are wanting us to buy what we already have. :?  

What did I say wrong? :(

Video showing operation is on Hagan and Speedway site, embedded and I can't find how to link it.
Matt

WZ JUNK

I thought you were having trouble with the magnet part.  I was trying to help you find a replacement.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I thought you were having trouble with the magnet part.  I was trying to help you find a replacement.

Oh. I must have worded something in a way which led you to that. Will investigate later, gotta run eat at boss's house. Thanks, sorry. No trouble with them. I have not welded anything yet. The hold open magnet works, have not tried out the latch and had not watched the video myself.

It should be pretty neat with that setup. I didn't even get a pic yesterday but the flap works like I want with the hinge stuffed into the front outer corner of the opening in the quarter. At about the seven or eight o'clock position. Clears roof by plenty. Figured I could get my bracket with latch connected in time for a pic but nope. Should be close when I make that connection.
Matt

idrivejunk

Getting started on running board brackets. There wasn't enough inch and a half square thick wall to do four so I ended up with 14 ga 1x2".

Matt