Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"mustang fastback IS roomy , you fold down the rear seat , slide the buckets all the way back and fold them forward . Bring a pillow to cover the console and for talking later  :D

Fer dat... I had a 75 Nova hatchback at the time, and the main she had a Sunbird hatch. :wink:

Oh my.  :twisted:
Matt

idrivejunk

Oh and I edited that reply a couple times  :-o
Matt

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

idrivejunk

Matt

chimp koose

idrivejunk

Glad you guys approve of the end result  8)   They could actually be welded at the Y because unbolting the assembly and tilting it forward to remove it is possible from the front. All I did to these leftys was weld that one last pesky spot I forgot, at a bolt hole.

Whittlin' away at a righty-

Matt

idrivejunk

I have been matching heights at the carriage bolt on the fender lips. Which of these 3 points is the primary one to match sides on?

:?:  Highest point on top of fender

:?:  Lowest point of tip at front edge of fender

:?:  The carriage bolt attaching fend to brkt

:?  :idea:  :arrow:

Both bolts are 38" off the floor here, with frame level. Mght be an inch difference at the tips. Tops eyeball OK, I think. :)  Beat on tips?

Matt

idrivejunk

No takers?  :?

Just pictures then, easier for me to just let you ask if you wonder. :arrow:

Matt

chimp koose

I like the flair on the hood side openings 8)

jaybee

It took a lot of pondering to make something that looks that simple but fits so well.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"I like the flair on the hood side openings 8)

Thought you might.  :wink:  Traced a 67 Mustang quarter and the height was just right. For the right side anyway, with whats there now parts-wise.
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "jaybee"It took a lot of pondering to make something that looks that simple but fits so well.

I wanted to do the reversed Mustang scallop shaped cutout the whole time so it was quite pre-meditated but only in mental format. Sure was pleased to see it and have it be a cinch to mock up. Only one guy looked at it and his reaction was same as everyone gave to the fender bob. Bad- ***!!!  :!:

The fender braces were a prime example of non-pre-meditated endeavors.

Some of you may remember forgetting the four hood side variations I rendered in March. Thats a grand total of seven choices offered by me plus the smooth side with enormous funky shaped teardrop from Mike. Somebody ought to be able to say which dadgum kind of hood seal, rubber or cloth, will be used! I need to complete a cowl flange!

As soon as I had the Mustang hood side mocked up, I sent boss a pic and he said "I think thats headed in the right direction.". He had expressed interest in a simple slot as shown in the Pfaff rendering, so I included that in the cardboard set. Doesn't work out like the picture, but there are a lot of variables as in incomplete driven accessory set and final engine location, that I cannot know but that may affect any of the designs.

However, the last cardboard one could be turned to metal immediately if chosen, and does provide the option to add closed side panels simply later if desired. So I consider that the small fry choice to watch for, since it is cheap to make and picking it moves the job along. Compared to fabricating the Mustang sides, yessir. I don't think anyone has any interest in the rainy day hole inserts, but those could be fiberglass and could be vented at bottom were a couple additional thoughts. The covers might not appear so nonsensical if done in black, or if chrome 5.0 emblems were on them.

I pretty much don't do well in any other aspects of life, so I stick with this because its fun thinking sometimes and hitting on success now and then. Here are the first four ideas I threw out, but I banished the Mustang one initially because of how the Mustang interior was recieved. Owner loved it, Gary and Mike tolerated those as cute jokes not worthy of serious consideration. Respectfully, I and the car owner were "humored". I'd bet you a can of bondo that if the owner sees the Mustang hood side he will react the same way he did to the back fenders. All over it. :)

I'd also wager that no design which comes from me will be accepted by those two, on hood sides. Watch and see. It ain't my aim to claim fame but everybody is a bump on a log until hey man... theres no other work I can do around the unmade decisions without knowingly throwing away labor. At this rate, I will only be involved in eight or ten more builds before I am used up. Provided I don't give out first.

My favorite is the top one and I still think its a solid choice.

:arrow:
Matt

jaybee

I'm a huge fan of that reversed Mustang side scallop look. I don't recall ever seeing anything like it, the thing fits the engine perfectly, it looks very aerodynamically sound as an extractor vent...I really think it has everything going for it.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Quote from: "jaybee"I'm a huge fan of that reversed Mustang side scallop look. I don't recall ever seeing anything like it, the thing fits the engine perfectly, it looks very aerodynamically sound as an extractor vent...I really think it has everything going for it.

Thanks. I like it too, it IS a good fit there. Speaking in terms of height of the stock scallop vs hole height needed. The flared front shape may help facilitate accessories. I have a supicion that Mike may have moved the engine Friday. Fingers crossed! :)
Matt

idrivejunk

I put this hub bearing in my daily driver's compressor pulley oh, about a year ago. Thats how long they last, or so the parts lady told me when I got it. She meant it. Went up in smoke last week.  :shock:  :arrow:

Worked on that for an hour or so last night, ended up running out of posting time. :roll:

Been working out left running board fit, and got fenders tucked under the grille shell now.

Emblem thoughts-

Mike liked the Mustang hood side like a bowl of Life. He told me that on the driver's side, the offending bolt boss down low will be lopped off of the head, and the wire clip up high goes away also. With that new information, I made one with the smallest hole possible-

I couldn't stand it for long... that morphed into this-

Which also has potential. Could have a just about flat grille, screen, or cover-

As if that weren't enough to upset the apple rodder cart, step around front-

I'd like to see the fender tips bobbed enough to bring that back about an inch. It could flow right into the rolled fender ftont edge contours at angles like that last pic. This was just a quick, rough interpretation of an even rougher thought. As it developed I just thought hey I'll notch it do the fender edge kinda grows out of this bumper thingy. If I could slice and lay the fender edge rods back starting about  half a foot up, the odd angle view cpuld have a line flowing all the way across, visually. I don't have a speakable opinion on chrome or painted. Depends, I guess.

Thank you for your patience, heres an elCo bed and fastback with some parts hung.

Forum purrs like a kitten, thanks Frank. 8)

PS, the engine hasn't moved. It might, but if so, more like an inch. :arrow:
Matt