Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Just a thought . Would you consider mounting the lights from the sides of the rad shell ala some fenderless roadsters ? You could hide some beefy mounts .

idrivejunk

It took awhile but I figured out a brace. The thing is too three dimensional and complex for others to concern themselves with, not being there. Mike is on board with my concept though, I made certain of that. We also spoke of a fender shield. While I studied the car, an idea for slicker and sturdier running board brackets also hatched but has been discarded.

This cardboard strip represents the location of a forward brace made of tubing. It won't go that high but will connect to the stock brace at approximately the old light bar's bottom bolt hole location. Top section of old brace stays and another top extension may be added to another planned tubular vertical leg behind the suspension, which connects to a plate bolted to the side of the frame rail like this one does at the horn. Then a link will connect the fore and hind legs plus possibly also the clearanced stock brace. Above the shock tower. No rubbing allowed but no wheels to check with. All removable, two pieces per side. 14 ga 1x2" tubing is the choice made for this, along with much thicker mount base. For now, cardboard.

Here is the passenger door to apron gap-

Here is the trimmed for function and silver paint marked for final trimming with it off the vehicle... driver's door. I did run a couple screws through to the floor rail, attaching the folded edge of the apron below this spot. Nothing changed. The corner was scraping. Now it does not-

This shows how the salvage engine seems to be mounted too far forward-

This shows (yellow pencil marks) the visible collision damage to the front of the engine. Valve cover, throttle motor, water pump, crankshaft pulley. Mike had not noticed this and is very concerned about damage to the crankshaft and other engine parts-

These are my preparations for gas flap discussion with the car owner-

This is a mockup of my drip rail tuck-

This is weatherstripping for the perimeter of all apertures and possibly hood. I wrote down specs, boss got this.

Looks like we did fine. Here is an A pillar sample-

Trunk sample-

I like the looks of the fastback color so far-

Mike's world today-

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"Just a thought . Would you consider mounting the lights from the sides of the rad shell ala some fenderless roadsters ? You could hide some beefy mounts .

Whatever they choose for headlights is what I will construct, install, or render for evaluation. Same with grille, I will have no further involvement until decisions are made and parts are had. Boss was web shopping for ideas yesterday on grille and lights. Customer had shown us a pic of a black deuce by Foose which had what he wanted. Everyone wants to control the decisions for him. I create and offer options that I am able to. I just want to provide the tools to help them decide, if needed. I have thrown out all my ideas and dumped much, much precious personal time over it but by default all that gets is glance-and-ignore, at best. Just like on forums. So they can just catch up to me. You all are free to speculate to your heart's content. I have learned to avoid having a preference, but if parameters are rough I have always just filled in the blanks. I have shown and told you guys everything so far. I am just waiting to have the next visit so that I can tear it all apart and begin finishing the build. :arrow:
Matt

enjenjo

How about two braces in a V or H  shape with the wide part of the V at the frame, or two seperate braces in front of, and behind the tire?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"How about two braces in a V or H  shape with the wide part of the V at the frame, or two seperate braces in front of, and behind the tire?

OK. Please read first two paragraphs and see first picture in post made earlier this evening. Thanks.
Matt

idrivejunk

I am probably over the grumpys for this week, they wore off around mid-day. :)

This morning I asked boss for tubing. Then yanked all the blue taped pads outta the jambs and used up that roll of weatherstrip replacing them with 2" pieces. Trunk is delightful to operate and doors are pretty nice too but I had to tweak adjustments on them for a spell to make that so. I will be chasing those until the bitter end. But at some point I just grabbed the B pillar and shook the car on the suspension for whatever reason. That made me smirk, it is downright megalithic. :D

I wanted the owner to be able to play with doors and trunk and be reassured if so. So I added some wire latch pulls to the doors-

Our man with the tubing got back about then, so I set about the task of cleaning it and preparing my work area...

...with a little help-

Loaded up a fresh wheel, got the extra frame support from the Cat out, for making base plates-

Got my before pic-

Went to lunch. Got back and remembered I wanted to throw the tank house walls in and zip bolts in. Well, that last round of left tub work changed the fit on the rear one. Ended up breaking the last bolt with my 3/8" Earthquake air ratchet. :roll:  

So I stopped and quit burnin fender brace daylight. Got 2-3 hours in on that. What do you get when you stomp an H or invert a V?

An A, of course.  :)  Frank, you do qualify for a tasty chicken dinner. Ding ding ding!

Where'd it go? :?

That should serve as a start. It was fun but tubing is hard for me yet. Heres a treat for good ol CK that I had no part in-

It may not have alpha jewels boat flake on yet but mmm mmm thats a good blue. Candylike. :shock:

Matt

idrivejunk

Today's stuff is tough to spot. Not much to show or tell.

Matt

kb426

The mustang will make the owner very happy.  :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"The mustang will make the owner very happy.  :)

Blue and white is a winner. :)

Second design, fender brace-

Matt

jaybee

I really like what you're doing with those braces, should have plenty of strength while remaining mostly hidden.

I like that Mustang a lot. Great color, great car.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

my first car was a 65 mustang fastback , i painted it electric blue . It was in national dragster in july 83 . i miss that car

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"my first car was a 65 mustang fastback , i painted it electric blue . It was in national dragster in july 83 . i miss that car

Boy I bet you do! Mom had a plain 35,000 mile 200 CID auto and all manual coupe, gold /gold w blk stripe and under dash A/C. Around 1982-3. Don't miss it but do miss the times had within. I used it for dates with the snooty high school chicks, but the interior wasn't very roomy. When Mom met Dad she had a Borgward. You can guess easy what brand he had.

Have you ever seen a fastback Cougar? Those have potential. :shock:
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "jaybee"I really like what you're doing with those braces, should have plenty of strength while remaining mostly hidden.

I like that Mustang a lot. Great color, great car.

Thank you on the bracing, I had a mental block going on the design. The first one is what happens when you really need a vacation and gotta force an idea out. I am pretty happy with what I have to show you next but not so much about the time involved. Sometimes it be's thataway.

I like how the fastback color appears to be a reddish hue. Wonder if the pearl is gold or green, or just blue. Its candy-like. Might be what I'd have called dark royal blue in the past. That one is maxed on budget, so boss was deliberating how to finish out the paint work exactly. Glad I am an employee! :!:
Matt

chimp koose

mustang fastback IS roomy , you fold down the rear seat , slide the buckets all the way back and fold them forward . Bring a pillow to cover the console and for talking later  :D

idrivejunk

It took days for me to figure out what this piece looks like. K.I.S,S.  :roll:

It goes here, as left front fender brace reinforcement-

This little tacky dude in the spotlight is the hero-

The brace needed a small extension and relocation at bottom, and since no headlight bar will be used up top, I swiped one of the old hole reinforcements and stuck it on the side-

This plate is in the way a little bit. It was the first thing tacked to hold the added length-

Gonna slice this patch down the center, trim, make other side fit, then add edges. Then take the first piece off and go from there  :arrow:

Heres the other hero in this story, the far end. You can see how I slit and manipulated it. To be welded...

Matt