Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Matt

chimp koose

idrivejunk

Too much crown on top of the left fender when viewed from rear, in comparison to the right. So-

Job for Monday there. :roll:  :arrow:

Fastback has final urethane primer on it now. No after pic yet, he was hosing when I split. :P

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Thats my artistic license plate to go with the army theme thing. Hope they like it. Made more sense with the quad .50 crosshair style wire spark arrestors in the tips but they kept disappearing when I resized. Hey, bayonet lugs and flash supressors, yeah! :D

Not.  :roll:  :lol: Yes, thats a tan pumpkin.
Matt

enjenjo

I like the last one the best.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"I like the last one the best.

I think everyone will. Thank you, sir... for your valued opinion  8)  You're the one who said widen, and wow people online and in person are blown away by how it turned out. Much obliged.

Could not resist changing the tag up. From that angle, it had the "Back Off!" mudflap's dual six gun attitude. I also thought of putting "1OFOURS", to be read as "One of ours" but it just reads "ten fours".

I need to see the color in person but I like the more authentic, well-worn look of the green. If I can get smoother gradated tones, I'll start calling them renderings and sign them. I am just glad we are moving away from the old Explorer EB paint scheme. I think a white body line pinstripe may be in order, not sure until I see a sprayout.
Matt

idrivejunk

This strip fits a template made from the right side-

Looks like it might work. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

The fenders match up now. Found an issue with the left quarter (pancaked by a fender hit at some point) that has eluded me and it affects this. So started to correct it. The left quarter outside the trunk bead and above the main body bead has a much tighter radius than the left and thats been the source of much optical confusion. Stared at it holding up a stir stick and with matched fenders and finally saw it. Aha! :)  Fixing it may help other misunderstood mysteries come to light. The path becomes clearer. And longer. :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

When I said the fenders match up in the last worded post, I spoke only to the contour of the top, viewed from rear at any distance and height, approximately and solely by my judgement.

I proceeded to the 2" 36 grit twist lock disc stage on the outside, then removed the fender to grind the weld smooth on the inside because planishing is needed-

While it was off, I notched the roll pan for fender and tub in this side. Also removed the reinforcing strip temporarily to allow marking locations of washers under fender bolts inside the adjusted fender. To provide adequate length of slots, I welded shims to the fender as shown-

With those things being done, I installed and adjusted the fender then got in 3 or four minutes of dolly and slapper time and one additional minute with bald 80 DA so you could better see how it looks. Couldn't get around the glare very well-

I have not reassessed the contour being corrected. In addition to the quarter panel shape issue, one fender may need to have the lip cut off and reattached lower or higher to match the "wheel gap" around the tire. Theres around a half inch difference to the best of my reckoning at this time.
Matt

idrivejunk

Welp, Mike says it looks much better so yay. Bumping it all back into shape after welding was a fun challenge but the question of whether I had removed the right amount of metal was a nail biter clear up to the end. Right now it feels good to a weary hand. What a relief! All the credit goes to my trusty rounded anvil dolly, what a lifesaver it was on this.

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt