Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

crdnblu

I must have missed it, so OK, I'll bite; where's the A heading?

idrivejunk

Quote from: "crdnblu"I must have missed it, so OK, I'll bite; where's the A heading?

Oh. I was working on it in the front building and another job "only" I needed to do came up, so we took it back to the second building back for Mike to have some time with it for things like exhaust. To study / figure / plan next steps with mechanicals while I fix the Pantera.

If you are just missing the daily updates to look at, see the "Pantera job" thread and follow the action there.

I hope to not be tied up on that job for many more days but always, I just go where the task leads me and do my best.

Thanks for asking! I did put a clue in the subject line of the last post. Finally figured nobody caught it.
Matt

idrivejunk

That fastback is in primer now. I went to get the A back today but found out I'm not done with the Pantera yet.

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Those tub top braces seem to be all it needs.  :)

Now lets invent a groovy way to hold the fenders on-

The fender now stands up straight and is secure. With decreased danger of cracking.

Fortunately I contained R&D damage to one side.

Matt

idrivejunk

Still working on the weld there.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Hoped I would not need to but did... have to extend the fender like the other side. Got that welded up and stopped there-

Made the new left inner tub wall with plenty of overhang at the bottom for nice trimming later-

Matt

jaybee

I love a well built, full-fendered car.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Thanks. Where did you see one? :wink:

Murmurs about rubber bands are all my telepathic powers were picking up on. :lol:

Next time nobody is looking, I'm hacking up a fender. :)

Did you guys get a load of that tire size? Dadgum!  :shock:  The tubs swallow 'em right up though.

Trunk is pretty much squared away at this point. I do have the left roll pan end tacked up as well.

Added some flange to the left rear fender also, to make it work like the other side. Just nuts and bolts for now.

So I moved up front and created a firewall. I predict that this will end up actually being an inner firewall. I intend to make five strips to complete the area: two cowl front edges with seal bed, and two vertical and one horizontal fillers between wall and cowl edges. My design will allow the firewall's fore/aft position to be adjusted by moving screw holes if needed by Mike. Here is the basic wall in my proposed position.-

Matt

kb426

Is the double firewall for component hiding or heat control?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Component hiding, main concern being the trans controller and it's wiring.

In the current position, it is far enough forward to allow a medium sized A/C box. That leaves 3" of space out front, to the hood seal line. The store bought and now cut up firewall's ribbed top section fits my plan as a removable cover. I will go for a finished cowl and leave the firewall as movable as possible because I suspect that the angled part of that top part will need some bumps or notches at least,. If he even uses it at all.

Ignore the bolts and clamp but this is the part I mean, in black.

I don't have a pic with it bracketed in there but it sits just against the knee in the brake pedal lever. I don't plan to attempt a toe board now but could build one to suit. Leaving Mike as many options as possible. Any bracing I build up there would be in the way of something. He just couldn't get going without knowing where the firewall is so I am providing a launch pad for the thought process and just finishing cowl reconstruction.

Matt

jaybee

I really like the way the tubs have been installed and braced to the body. You'll end up with a much stronger, more solid car than the originals.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)