Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

I been slacking on narration. Boy am I a zombie today, whew. But guys, believe it or not, that quilt I have going is looking alright. I mean, making that piece would be a big job. Its looking like welding it up might fly. I just have to go where it leads me and let intuition reign. Later today, you'll see how its coming. Thanks for your comments and I'll try to keep the grouching down to a dull roar. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "GPster"I thought the cuts in the quarters had to do with your boss's idea of what classy Model A tail lights would look like. I try to pay attention. GPster

That dash has duolamp shape all over it, don't it? The center pod sticks out.

You're doing fine, men. More observant than I would be, for sure.
Matt

idrivejunk

Boy, howdy. (thats a complete sentence, in Texas.)  :lol:

Maybe I ought to make a habit of stating the current mood in the subject line. :idea: So everyone can post at will rather than "at your own risk". If I didn't feel comfortable here, I wouldn't let the ups and downs show and give Bob a hard time randomly. Feel free to clown it up, yuk-yuck. Just know that at all times I welcome technical task comments and that I have always been awkward with praise. Honesty is what I expect, with respect. Don't be vague and do state the context so I don't get confused. Everybody is welcome and Frank's fuzzy yellow forum is my internet oasis.  :)

That being said... we are back to boy howdy and my relieved old man finally sitting down sounds (Hooo! Pschhhh. Maaayun! Hmmph. Aaaaah. Etc.). Had sense enough to rustle grub before I sat down just now and when I get up next, I may just plop onto the bed. In any event, I will relish composing today's A work post. But I took a motherlode of pix to be sure theres a handful are good takes to illustrate the task clearly. Culling to do yet though. Not sure how my gumption will hold out so before I relax all the way plumb, here are the other stuffs  :arrow:  :arrow:  :arrow:

All Grand Prix, all the time :D  They are just pure sexx, ain't they? ~:)

Thats Super Betty and Betty, my twin black junks. On a calm, mid-60s° day. 8) I think each is remarkable in her own way.

Theres the Mudstang as it stands. That new guy is just fine but is plagued by his personal vehicle scenario a bit, hurting attendance.

The Pantera has epoxy on by now. I'll have to stop wanting to call it a DeLorean. That new guy got his epoxy training today. He is eager, diligent, and reliable if he minds his blood sugar. Needs some metal prep technique coaching though and wow he spins tools fast. Makes us elders cringe.

As a segway back to my stall, here is a Mini Cooper sedan that went home today after a collision repair. Posting it because when I showed Mike my dash sketch, he said I gotta go look at the dash-

Well, I'll be. Definite dash arrangement similarities. :shock:  Imagine that. Even more shocking was Mikey's like of my design. I may be improving. :D
Matt

idrivejunk

Uh-oh. Bad things came up. Mental tidal wave. Mood is in smithereens. Staring at ceiling is probably all the rest I can get. Soon as I can fake "normal", I will continue. Just leave me be until I resurface, please. Thanks. :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

enjenjo

Good progress, I can't wait to see what you do next.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"Good progress, I can't wait to see what you do next.

Thanks. Would you buy the patch panel, fabricate a new panel based on this quilt, keep going with the current method, or keep going until the shape is there then make and replace a section at a time going for fewer seams?

Making the whole part in one piece is above my pay grade.
Matt

enjenjo

Quote from: "idrivejunk"

Thanks. Would you buy the patch panel, fabricate a new panel based on this quilt, keep going with the current method, or keep going until the shape is there then make and replace a section at a time going for fewer seams?

I am not the person making decisions, but I think it would be cheaper for the customer to use a patch panel to replace as much as possible. Then fabricate whatever else is needed.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"

I am not the person making decisions, but I think it would be cheaper for the customer to use a patch panel to replace as much as possible. Then fabricate whatever else is needed.

The patch is a foot high and I wouldn't anticipate it matching right up to anything. Thats my thought. Really tough for me to advise, not having seen one. Knowing the quarter has been badly out of shape and banged on so much, up past a foot, really tough to say. My instinct is to be as mean to it as necessary until I have it fitting but rough, then to tidy up the area by making what sections of it I can for the fewest seams. My fear with getting the patch is that some elaborate moves might be required to match the looks of that sufficiently to the other side. In light of the difficulty of making any part of that bottom foot, unlike most pieces of cars, manipulating and splicing the existing then improving it via the quilt approach seems most logical from where I stand. Trouble is, the original beads and curves don't want to give without kinking. Thats why I just kept on cutting and moving bits of it. I can see me making the beads and the curved face parts seperately which is also a great deal of splicing. No easy way I can see.
Matt

idrivejunk

Today freaked me out. Having a little trouble shaking off a metal shaping smirk. ~:)

On pure instinct, I grabbed the first flat scrap I saw. Big enuf? Yep. To the English wheel I went. A few halfhearted passes and hey, thats almost a fit. Ended up making just 3 trips. :shock: There were a few bites with the jaws then.

OK... next scrap goes in the brake, first this way then that, then loosely into the vise to flatten the sides about right. Tapped around with it on the anvil, then used mainly the shrinker to get a curve, and here was I-

Overlapped them and cut off half the first piece-

Remarkably small amount of drama thus far. :D

Ran the edge of my scrap through medium stepping dies on the bead roller-

bzzt, bzzt-

grind, grind... Hey!  :-o  :D  Lays pretty good on there!

Hacked out the quilt and sunk the patch and tacked it, bumped it around some, then cut out the bead section-

To my amazement... I think I done good! So far, anyhow.

Matt

enjenjo

I'm proud of you. :D   I knew you could do it.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"I'm proud of you. :D   I knew you could do it.

Its a miracle that only good vibes from nail-biting forum well-wishers could cause. It seemed unbelievably easy. :)
Matt

idrivejunk

Oh yeah, and... thanks Frank. 8)  And everybody. For the kind words of support all along. :D  :!:
Matt

chimp koose

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: atta boy !

idrivejunk

Wish I knew who got my metal files.

Thats a roll pan end. Starting Pantera fender and rust Thursday. Boss sez "That'll give you a break.". Yeah, I might break. I hear a new fender is ten grand.

I started the next piece, had some minutes left in the day. Hurried and messed it up.
Matt