Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"looks ok but for one proportion , the windshield is flush with the door frame so the dash will fit farther into the car than your drawing shows . I would also put the eyebrows of the dash level with the bottoms of the door glass . I wonder what a 65 ford truck dash might look like in there . Since it has no upholstery it could be finished in a metalflake the same shade as the rest of the car ! 8)

Its not an altered stock dash, but custom from scratch with the exception of heater controls and tach/speedo bezels. The rear vertical face of the A pillar is not flush with the windshield.  Locating the eyebrows at the level of the bottom of the door glass would expose the full width of the arched top of the A dash and I don't want that. The owner never mentioned wanting a truck dash.
Matt

idrivejunk

I have set some cardboard aside to make a mock up dash pad with. Doing the drawing at home on my time is so I don't squander paid minutes doing so if its just going to look bad.
Matt

chimp koose

with custom from scratch you could do some neat stuff . I did a custom dash from scratch on my anglia  . I think I have pictures on photobucket under chimpkoose  . I always liked the style of heater controls on early mustangs .

idrivejunk

I figure it will end up with some sort of sticky-outy dash pad but thats it.
Matt

chimp koose

rumrumm

I think you are going to find it is much tighter than your drawing indicates when it is all said and done. It is surprising how much room the seats take up in a coupe body. I've had a '29 and now have a '32 so I know about these space issues.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

idrivejunk

What goes in the car will not be whats in the drawing.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Also slapped out some bolt tightening warpage on the cowl top and had the right quarter and door off to fix a couple minor issues on the right lower door hinge.
Matt

idrivejunk

Guy working on the Mustang has switched to the VW.

Today was as good as yesterday was bad. First thing I got a lighting upgrade in the stall, then I completed rust repairs on the A. Then the customer visited and sheepishly I showed him my interior sketch. It was just what he was thinking. While I had the ball and boss was still out to lunch... I let him have the full raft of ideas logjammed in my head. Think I spewed them all but now another batch is brewing. Because durn near every suggestion I had was unanimously accepted. How the heck did that happen? :shock:

We have similar tastes, I reckon. With all due respect, tradition is not a factor on the build. Its a new car. But, it will look like a steel A with a Coyote hanging out.

Drip rail tuck, cowl molding shave, gas flap, bedded windshield, bobbed hood, hybrid deuce / A shell / grille, A tail light bezels shaped like upside-down Mustang backup lights, Dusenburg style exhaust... not sure what all else. But the vision he had Pfaff render is same as my mental pic, almost. I voted blackwalls. I was concerned about wind under the visor at speed and the rendering depicts a floating visor mounted like a close-fitting wing spoiler. I like that.

For being a good boy, I may get to stay on the A and only coach on the truck roof fix. So now comes the fun parts. I have enough info to get a firewall roughed in and thats what everyone wants to see, so I'm marking for cuts via CAD and getting a big enjoy from being at this stage.  :D  

Matt

idrivejunk

Quote from: "rumrumm"I think you are going to find it is much tighter than your drawing indicates when it is all said and done. It is surprising how much room the seats take up in a coupe body. I've had a '29 and now have a '32 so I know about these space issues.

Quote from: "idrivejunk"What goes in the car will not be whats in the drawing.

I must apologize and correct myself... the Mustang interior is a total go. I was not going to show the sketch to the owner and had trashed the Mustang instrument panel tracing. But everyone loved it. It was the owner's idea and I am glad I took the time. That encourages me to do more. Mike wants me to make the dash. I do too, but not really the instrument panel. We shall see.

The seating certainly will be wall-to-wall and elbow to elbow, Rummer. The driver's head (not a big big guy) is alongside the B pillar and comfort expectations are duly reduced. Especially if you are the stovepipe hat type.  :wink:

Couple pics of first firewall stab, coming right up.  :arrow:
Matt

idrivejunk

2" behind the body mounting holes is where the chassis says the firewall goes. So I trim off the shag and set 'er up that way...

...and thar she blows-

Um, thats as far as I got. Got sidetracked by windshield quandaries

This engine compartment is wired with a new product from NoSeeUm.

Just kidding, its bluetooth. Er, wait... it was Footloose what done it. :)

This here 'un is a brown, round S-10. Reg cab four popper, decent but muddy. Strip-bound GM 383 going in there, and where do they sell hay bale fuel cell covers?

Aw, look... its tonight's fabulous guest star... on the grille and in a couple glam shots I hadn't seen  :D

Matt

rumrumm

The first time I hit a bump with the carson-style top bolted on my '29 roadster, I learned very quickly to remove the button from the top of my cap! Ouch!!! LOL!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

idrivejunk

:ha)

:lol:

Well I made a wood, chopped windshield following the opening in the old frame. A magnet wouldn't stick to either one, so...

Would you rather see the frame used as an overlapping molding-

or-

Flush glass and metal with maybe a small rubber bead around it, then a small bead roller groove (or stepped and overlapped pieces for a groove) where the outside edge of the frame used to sit?

I think it needs a groove or seam to not look fiberglass  :idea: or am I daydreaming in left field again  :?:  :idea:  :arrow:

Yeah I cut the flange spotwelds loose and flipped it around then dropped the beaded panel down near the fuel rail.

Also cut the wall horizontally since this will all get shuffled around into toe boards and hidden compartments in the flat areas. Later. This morning I put the tunnel bend in the lower wall but that will probably become scrap. For now, its a reference.

Newest side view. I could edit this angle but boy this is a busy background.  :shock:

Speaking of busy... just a peek around grey room projects. This is the donor roof for the blue truck-

Blazer, Jimmy or whoever-

Yep, caught a flat

Its a mudbug!  :lol:  Not to be confused with crawfish.

Matt