Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"This, according to my best reckoning... could work without much work. :shock:  I am stoked, can I hear what you think?  :?:

How are you going to allow for frame and motor mount flex? How are you going to facilitate installation?  None of these are stoppers, but they will have to be taken care of to make it work.

You know what a Marman clamp is? They make a leak proof exhaust joint. Invented by Zeppo Marx in the 1930s. It's a reliable connection that can be installed and removed multiple times.

Can I say "not my department"? :(  I think I have probably read about those clamps. Flex joints seem to be Mike's go-to solution. The one barely visible in this Cat pic may just be for mock up but they have a favorite one that doesn't normally have issues.

Clamps... probably the good kind yeah, I just don't know. I do know all these questions and their answers will rise to the surface in due time, and that my objective is pretty much whats been referred to by racers as a "body, in white" if you know what I mean. All panels fitted and swinging but meant to be gutted from cowl to tail between rockers as soon as I can turn it loose.

That being said, I designed whats in the edited pic with the plan being to remove fender to remove header. The headers do not pass through the fender or apron in my design, the panels go around the tubes with adequate rattle room. I found this too difficult to illustrate for free due to the angles needed but by what references I have, it is feasible. I took one shot at sketching it just so I'd remember how I noodled it out. Going inside the rails is a severely snotty booger with the Coyote.

At the moment I am trying to establish if there are further steps I can take to complete the cowl sides, thats it. Heres a suggestion from a friend who saw the first hood side-

Mike did say he will do everything in his power to see to it that I am the one who constructs the dash. He even dug out an old dash pad to cut up if needed. :)

My most bestest thing I wanted to know is do you-all think that bottom front corner of the cowl looks OK.
Matt

jaybee

Quote from: "idrivejunk"The job has been a challenge because I find that I have to bring the whole body along in stages, addressing intertwined issues in layers. Kind of like a camera coming into focus slowly. Can't really say "Doors done" or cowl done or trunk done and move on like I am accustomed to in doing repairs. Fab first then repair seems counterintuitive.

Radical, extensive modifications are a whole tangle of complications, aren't they?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

416Ford

Thanks for the info on the welds Matt. I didn't want the body guy thinking I was leaving all kind of work for him that I should have been taking care of myself.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

idrivejunk

Metal shaping guys frown on even using MIG for sheetmetal. Its a matter of scale. Like you said, its only a matter of satisfying the person who works on it after you. Par ain't the same on every hole, for lack of a better analogy. :wink:

Jaybee, I am sure finding that out.

Can anyone see what I did to the cowl corner? If so, how offensive to traditionalists is it?
Matt

chimp koose

I think if I were to do anything different than what you have , it would be to match the lower edge of the hood sides to the angle of the valve covers . I think it would have a better 'flow ' of the visual lines . Also just to throw it out there , one long horizontal  louver like found on a 36 chev might look tidier down the hood side .

idrivejunk

Thats interesting. I had considered one bead there like above the louver panel on a stock hood side. Boss wanted to send both of those images to the owner. :)

Today for a moment I had the trunk lid up there just to peek at the right quarter tail section. Could be worse. Mighty rough.

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

chimp koose

kind of overkill on the latch lock . The hole drilled thru pin would have to align with the rod going through it vertically and horizontally over quite a distance so alignment would get picky . How would you tighten the pin , they have been allen head on ones I have used . That would get drilled out in your set up . Nice clean setup as far as being out of sight but might be pretty hard to set up .

idrivejunk

I am brewing another idea which will likely trump that one anyway. Mustang door lock knob right at the bottom front corner of the side window, being in control of a pin directly under it passing through the upper hinge tube at the hook bend in the hidden hinge. Its an idea in progress but the concept is liked. If I could use a Mustang door latch for the lock mechanism... well like I said... currently in development but considered nifty.

I am gonna have to just zip through tonight with little explanation, but please do ask away if the pics fall short of their thousand words.

Mostly on the A today, I deleted the redundant shelf area tube. Not needed, made corner pieces to the other bar. Other tubing will also disappear. Then I marked tubs at quarters, split differences in variations and matched tubs to one another and have one screwed in. Trunk lid pushes quarters left when closing but it won't be able to once the tubs are in. Spacing the quarter wheel openings evenly from the tub outer edges should start to set things right with the quarters.

Hood side edits based on inputs, sketch because I could hardly explain all that faster

Here goes :arrow:

Matt

idrivejunk

Another plumb tuckered out day and I am weary but encouraged. Having tubs in makes a world of difference. Several minor but elusive issues came to light as I sought symmetry and just like any other car, you reach a point where everything is where it goes. Enough so you can confidently repair whatever is left. Man, is that ever a load off my mind. All this tail end stuff is gonna work out. Mike convinced me that I can set body rake without a radiator. Obstacles have cleared out, I see enjoyable right-brain work ahead.  :)  :arrow:

This shot illustrates the hinge lock idea-

I had already trimmed the quarter wheel opening lip short so this side is tacked in-

I don't see why we can't plug weld rear fenders rather than use bolts.  :idea:

There are issues with both the front trunk gutter and window panel patch area and the tail panel to lid contour, BUT the quarters look a whole lot less scary now-

I was moving toward putting a fender on when somebody yelled epoxy-

Footloose Jr done that. I doctored the passenger side of the cowl front flange to end hood interference-

Much better!

I am of a mind to see how many parts I can hang on that puppy how soon and get some wheels on there. So's we can all stare at it. :shock:
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Showed that mockup pic to my Dad yesterday and I couldn't help but share the top pic which he sent me this morning. Greatest before and after ever, if you ask me. Some kids rode horses  to the first day of high school, but not him. 8)

Matt