Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Quote from: "chimp koose"I think people are sort of ok at visualizing but not near as good at communicating . In the machine shop a vast majority of "errors" are communication based , a good drawing minimizes that . A good communication exercise is to sit back to back with someone and explain to them how to draw a shape or object , then look at it when finished . A good idea is to show them pictures of a vehicle with the mods that you are trying to do to get their opinion . Kind of hard when you are trying something new .

In art school they called it verbalizing. A concept. A critical skill in commercial art.

:idea:
Matt

kb426

When I looked at the pic of the light and the rear of the car, I thought if the tail light was recessed the same depth of the tag recess that it would apply some symmetry. Just a casual thought, not intended as a criticism. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Likewise, Bill.  :)  Unity may be a better word on that. Symmetry means both sides of something match, as I understand the meaning. You may get your wish, the bottom piece has not been trimmed yet, possibly making the recess appear deeper than it will be. Might turn out closer to what you suggested than it looks.
Matt

idrivejunk

I have it where I want it now and the bottom is an inch from lens, tag pocket is around 1 1/4.

Here is the backside. Started with just the strap, got lamp in position then cut the new top piece. The strap allows a certain degree of bend to fit adjustment. Used the old top as the new bottom because it was there. The upper and lower eyelids were then joined to bracket so the whole mess can be adjusted with lamp in before welding. I may untack it and snag a pattern to cut the other side from without so much piecing together.

Matt

kb426

I think that will be good.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

One complaint off the laundry list: Actual wheels and tires and maybe spacers... are on.

Other known issues visible:

Suspension / steering adjustment needed at every corner
Trunk lid loose
Grille crooked
Fenders loose
Not finished, etc.

Matt

kb426

The younger people used to say "that's rad, man". Seeing it outside and along with the regulars knowing what went into this, that is going to be a very kool car. I always wondered about model a tolerances and after seeing what was done to this and seeing this stage, everything made it better. I want to be the guy that stabs the throttle and see if it goes straight or it's a spook. :) That's a lot of horsepower in a chassis without upper reinforcement. It's my believe that if you spring it soft enough to enjoy the ride that it will be wild when on the gas. I know time wise that the completion is a long way off but I'm looking forward to the end. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"The younger people used to say "that's rad, man". Seeing it outside and along with the regulars knowing what went into this, that is going to be a very kool car. I always wondered about model a tolerances and after seeing what was done to this and seeing this stage, everything made it better. I want to be the guy that stabs the throttle and see if it goes straight or it's a spook. :) That's a lot of horsepower in a chassis without upper reinforcement. It's my believe that if you spring it soft enough to enjoy the ride that it will be wild when on the gas. I know time wise that the completion is a long way off but I'm looking forward to the end. :)

"Everything made it better"... I think that fits  :)

"Rad" also fits. The tire size and HP anyway yep.

The spooky factor I wondered about when moving the rear meats around because loose on shiny concrete it is super easy to push the tire slideways but not back and forth. I can't really lift the tire / wheel. Have to let the jack down to it mostly.

All along I have pictured it's done personality as Labrador puppy. So ready to play, and friendly. I hope it isn't the burp it and wait for the chassis to recover kind. Driving... rocket-go-kart-on-rails-like or do you and her lean in like on couples skates?

Be interesting to find out, wouldn't it? He may have to charge for rides in it, to offset build cost. :idea:
Matt

idrivejunk

So Gary and me are standing here having a short stare before he locks up and I says:

Kinda tough to evaluate with just one lamp huh?

Yeeeah. Wonder how come we just have one?

They come with one. (gesturing)

(nods)

Yeeeah. :)

I felt like a rodder at that moment but I know he knew he just had spit out a sticky job and had already disengaged from business in a relieved mode. :wink:

Had just told him a smirky story though, too. I was fairly ecstatic on a bodyman high, having yelped in suprise :-o  at what I found...

After all the estimatin' and extrapolatin', ciphering and carrying the naught and what-not, with proper rolling stock and stance in place we pushed her back in and I set about leveling the chassis again so I could proceed.

With it sitting just as-is, me and the trusty broke 6" magnetic torpedo level went hunting fault:

Roll pan spot-on, check. "Shelf" under back window, check. Top of windshield opening, check. Nice! :D

:roll:  Now lets see where I gotta move my tail light I just did to...

:shock:  Never seen the bubble quite that centered. Hoot! :D  Yippie-yi-o that don't happen every day. I had to show 3 people! Dad might get goose bumps offa that, I nearabout did. Bullseye. Now the right side is just hold and tack, done. That makes me a happy man. 8)

Matt

jaybee

Beyond cool. I love it. That thing is going to be violent when you step on the loud pedal. Sitting still it looks like you don't dare walk in front of it.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

RipVW

Hey Matt,  Is that a secret agent IDJ Antenna protruding from the right taillight???  

Just rattling your cage!!!! 8)

idrivejunk

Rave reviews! :)  

Just wait until hood-messin-with time. :wink: Listen for more loud screeching from the primate cage or keep an eye to the clouds for the IDJ-signal.

Ripper, that there is Aunt Anna's double naught fully erect prewar Ford mood indicator appendage, you just can't see it wagging in the pic. :lol:

Busted telescoping pickup magnet pretending to be a tack weld. :)

To the Mattmobile! :-}
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

moose

Matt, Installation looks good. Just curious what tool you use to smooth out the tight inside corners? I use a 1/8th inch belt sander.

moose