Model A job

Started by idrivejunk, July 25, 2018, 08:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Only trouble is that leaves the latch bars showing. Which maybe ain't so bad. Hollering down the hood well doesnt't even get an echo. :?  But like I think I said, the customer wants to be able to run with or without hood sides. A mobius wish, a conundrum, a loop to infinity I suppose. I just don't know anything about plans for the car anymore.

I heard mention of using two accent colors and saw this going on:

How about a nice pallate cleansing all-Pontiac interlude?
~:)

Saw this GTO when I hit the clock-

Why the grand sport corvette stripes? Dunno, getting bumper painted.

No late model beer can trucks for me today, I got tasked with un-oil-canning the roof on a 68 Firebird-

A caved-in roof brace is never a good sign-

Digging out brazing and dents left by our "panel guy"-

To conclude the interlude, heres the spot where the chicken crossed the road to save me some grief the other day-

Matt

idrivejunk

Last of the Pontiaction. We used a scissor jack and four hands on the roof brace some. Roof skin has two applications of filler across it now, no pic. But man, the guy used that Norton vacuum sanding machine and while noisy, it sure helped to not gag me out. Sandman said cutting was easier as well.

The Firebird owner stopped in for pix and talked some Pontiac-speak. He seemed quite a bit younger than us bodymen but has had it 16 years. Had a Camaro rear spoiler on it when he got it. I showed him a 69 T/A wing. ;)

Then, also no pic... you may have seen pencil lines at the trunk / qtr bead intersections on qtr pnl tips. I spent an hour or so with a 9" block leveling out the line with a bit more accuracy and attention to radiuses than what was there.

Heres another color sampling and hey... thats starting to look like a combo now... and it can substitute for the blocking pic.

Those ^^ are chunks of leftover Firebird wheelhouse.

This  :arrow:

...is I just couldn't resist. :D

That needs to be a little deeper.

Took a little over an hour to get this with my feeble skill at that.

But I figure you gotta give em something to say no to. That gets the ball rolling sometimes on things of this nature. :)
Matt

kb426

An acquaintance of mine, Dave Crouse who used to be Custom Auto in Loveland Co. had put bubbles on hoods with louvers in situations such as this. I thought it was the best compromise but it's not my car. :) He and I had a discussion about that at a car show about 11 years ago. He asked me how I would do that. I said to put the bubble on and then do the louvers. He smiled so I don't know if I had the correct answer or failed the test. :) I wonder if something like the chevy vent panels that were flush mounted and connected to a thermostatic control operator would be cool enough to make the owner happy?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I can't picture either thing. What year Chevy? I saw blinds in front of a 46 Cad rad. Do you mean using a stock louvered hood side and putting a solid lump amidst the louvers or would the louvers be lumped? The tall side louvers like stock look OK to me but with something sticking out of them, be it lump or engine just doesn't imagine right for me.

At the risk of alienating my almost only commenters left, I gotta say any louvers at all look cluttered and dated to me. I guess thats why flush, manually openable vents are where I gravitate to. I considered scoop suggestions but know those would get radical opposition. Heat needs to come out the top, if you ask me. Where it builds up.

Boss said blister looks good, flows with fender some. I noticed that when I saw it taped on but wasn't going for that. Darndest thing though, I don't know if his comment means continue or not. Sent pic to guy who made the hood sides but never get responses. Wondered if these were similar to what he had in mind. All the blatant noncommitalism  :lol:  really cramps a guy's style trying to finish a build. I really don't know what is expected of me and won't just assume authority because thats how labor gets wasted.
Matt

Rochie

Matt, check out 33/34 chev louvers . They might look good

idrivejunk

The less numerous and horizontal style there is definitely more appealing to me. :)  With a lump though, still seems awful busy.

As you see, I have abandoned my own thoughts on it and stand ready to build whatever is desired. Thats just not been specified. My speculations about what might look good are moot. I think any suggestion including louvers will get the same lack of response.

If only one of the issues (cover engine, ventilate compartment) were decided, that would be a step in the right direction. I guess I'll start the day investigating what happened to the trunk lid bolts and trunk latch or trying to bolt the radiator down, or putting the aprons on as intended, modifying my fabbed running board brackets to fit again, or finding out why the gas flap is not fastened. It is a big pain to fasten to the hinge.
Matt

rumrumm

This was my approach to venting hot air. Originally, my idea was to build a cowl induction hood, but I tossed that idea early on knowing I needed to vent hot air since I didn't have vents in the hood sides. The reverse scoop keeps people guessing, and I have only seen one other one on all the street rods I have seen.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

idrivejunk

That kind doesn't bother me a bit although the one shown may be a bit lofty for my taste. I already envisioned an L-88 scoop and cowl lump but either in stock or aftermarket form, they dwarf the A hood top. I sure could come up with a pile of ideas if somebody does say hood scoop. I just expanded that one blister to maybe real size and went to ask Mike if it was what he had in mind but he is on vacation. :-o  :(  Attempts at contact are futile. I'll have to pursue something else for the time being. I don't really understand how this hood and latch / rad is supposed to be put together. :?
Matt

idrivejunk

Heres this-

and that-

I put tag holes in it. Found some screws to replace now missing ones for the trunk lid. Had to remove the struts hanging from studs added to the hinges to do so. Story below pic-

The evidence is pretty obvious as to why the trunk lid now looks bad crooked whether open or closed. Struts were hung from hinges and one sat down on the tub then the lid was left to hold its own weight or closing pressure was applied.

That bent the hinge area on lid and you'd have to review the process to understand why that grinds my gears. Not only was it a nightmare to fit, I asked and asked and asked if I could reinforce the area while the lid was apart. :evil:

So thats ruined and the latch has been removed and sat aside because neither bondo guy or mechanic could figure out how to open it by the wire I had in place.

I have been reviewing the "punch list" and crossing things off but without the body off for one bolt hole thing... or making a mate for the blister... I am out of things I know enough about to do anything with. Leaning towards the reality that the hood hubcap idea will be considered comical by most so not exploring that.

If I explain to boss, well thats more attention span than I can expect so probably more random fill in tasks would be the result of asking what to do.
Matt

idrivejunk

Well I'll be a Nehi hubcap's uncle, heres my best english (wheel work) to date-

That wasn't so hard but I might not be to the hard part yet.  :arrow:

Gack, cough-

Matt

kb426

Blisters are looking good.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Many thanks, Bill.  :)

I just had an idea or two, spurred by walking in from the garage... past the 65 GTO scoop leaning against the wall.  :idea:

The size is better. The reversed profile is not too tall and is good looking. The view of it from the driver's seat would be wicked. View from street smacks of cowl induction but ain't. The openings are in a cast insert which if hinged open, could move a good bit of heat. I have it, serving only wallhanger duty and it was salvaged from work anyway, its a gennie cutout... might need a thin pie slice down the middle, maybe not.

That strikes me as a whopper idea but knowing me I'll skin that back to a definite hmm and lay the afterthat idea out too, before somebody else says it...

What if the blisters were shakers? Same thing, smooth, just bracketed to engine and with folded over edges on holes in hood sides? No welding and probably do fine in most rain.

Double hmm. Any takers? :?:
Matt

jaybee

I like the GTO scoop reversed as an extractor. At some point a cowl induction hood has been done on virtually ever sort of car. It's because it's a classic look which nearly always works, but still...this would be a new wrinkle which is always something which draws interest as long as it's well executed.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

I don't think the shaker idea has been done before. That could have merit.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Google this "Pontiac Super Duty hood scoop" It was originally a Ford truck part used by Pontiac in 63 on the A/FX cars.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.