What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

This mornings local newspaper, the Joplin Globe has as its featured front page article a story about the history of our local drag strip, MOKAN Dragway.  The lead picture is of Hooley's  "Okie Twister"  I hope this link will work.  http://www.joplinglobe.com/news/local_news/mo-kan-memories-on-display-at-pittsburg-museum/article_ab98b0ce-a57d-5be6-816b-c0742d3d8359.html

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

UGLY OLDS

HEY !!!  Hooley hits the BIG TIME !!!!  8)  8)  :b-d:  
Nice article ..  This means Hooley buys the first round... :idea:  :idea:  8)   Correct  :?:  :?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

Hummm,  I know I'm not real bright, so I'm confused.

I recently ordered two 215/70x15 BFG Radial T/A's, for my 61 Chrysler, from Summitracing for $269 total shipped. Unfortunately the lead time was came about at 06/28/2017.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bfg-94777

I thought this was a bit much to wait for, so I went back and looked for something better and found a listing for Coker BFG Radial T/As, what appears to be the exact same tire, listed for $236 total shipped with a lead time of 3 to 5 days.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-5797650

I canceled the BFG's and called Summitracing and asked to order the Cokers and to apply the refund to the Cokers. Looks like a done deal.

But I'm still confused by the two different listings for the same tire.

Are Cokers actually a different tire?

kb426

George, I don't have a good answer, just a thought. It's increasingly difficult for a consumer to find the best deal of most anything. There are so many ways that products are marketed that you can spend hours researching. I spend a lot of time when I start a new project. It's painful to find out after the fact that there was a substantial better deal on the exact product. The good news is you're getting new tires. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Got the spacers right for the rear section under my trunk today . welded them in and a shot of por15 . Hopefully tomorrow I can put that panel in for the last time . After that its install trunk floor and rear bulkhead between trunk and drivers compartment . Then its por15 for all of the inside floor pans , trunk and interior . It will be nice to see something shiny on this car .

idrivejunk

Walked past this in the mech shop today, it goes in a Chevy II  8)

Matt

chimp koose

Panel is in , trunk seems to fit nice. trunk floor and bulkhead are metal prepped waiting for por15 .

kb426

CK, how can a teacher and machinest not post pics???? :)
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

a mechanic i know stopped by today..  he was working on probably a 1930 cadillac V8.. had fuel issues.. ask me about rebuilding the carb.. it looked ok in pictures..  he found a carb shop that said they could do it. said it would take a week or two to get all the parts in and get it done.  during that time.. the carb shop owner died.. the shop is locked.. nobody answers the phones.. nobody picks up the mail.  and the carb for the cadillac is somewhere inside a tightly secured building..

how many times can you say... SCREWED UP Royally..   this is one of the updraft carbs.. that go to a TEE manifold to both heads..  i think but i could not get a straight answer but i think they dropped off the tee shaped manifold also.

some images of perhaps the same style carb..

http://imgur.com/a/grHRK

i don't know what they are going to do.

chimp koose

KB I am sorry . I do not do CNC either . The last time I programmed a cnc lathe we opened a door on the side and fed in a punch tape full of holes . That was the program for the part . We used to store the programs in film strip tubes . We were told that one day someone in the upstairs engineering office would be able to send a program to the machine from their office .  I laughed at that one , SURE they will  :roll: .

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "chimp koose"KB I am sorry . I do not do CNC either . The last time I programmed a cnc lathe we opened a door on the side and fed in a punch tape full of holes . That was the program for the part . We used to store the programs in film strip tubes . We were told that one day someone in the upstairs engineering office would be able to send a program to the machine from their office .  I laughed at that one , SURE they will  :roll: .

That's why we love ya Chimp.... 8)  
 YOU can make the machine do what YOU want it to do & more important, you are willing to pass that knowledge along to those that want it ... 8)  );b(

My lathe still has a "lantern" style toolpost with various tool holders. ... :?   I feel so  behind the times ..... :oops:  :lol:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

Wow!! Ordered the Coker BFG tires from Summitracing on Monday and had them sitting on my porch Wed morning. A lot better than waiting till 6/28/17 for the BFG factory order.

Got them mounted and balanced and rolling down the road Wed afternoon.

Chrysler is doing good now. Most likely the last tires I'll ever buy. The tires they replaced were only 21+yrs old.

Coker BFG's just had a sticker on the BFG Tire label with a coker Item # and statement saying shipped from Coker warehouse in Tenn.

chimp koose

Trunk fits with less than 1/8" gaps , back brace is riveted in , firewall is finished welding , top side of roof opening is weld repaired and por15 coated and I am ready to por15 the interior side of the floor and firewall . While the first coat is drying I will either finish up welding up my smoothie running boards or rivet in the trunk floor . I have been really sick for at least the last 2 weeks but I am still happy with my progress on the coupe lately . We have our annual car show at the school on may 27 and I would like to show some progress from last year .

chimp koose

Well I did not get near as much done as I had hoped . A former student popped in for a visit , he is on a team building a mileage contest car . Got up to speed on how that was going , he will try to bring the car to our car show . My buddy shows up with an engine for the chopper we are building. 110" evo motor with pan heads . Builder thinks about 100 HP . This bike has a springer front and a rear suspension with the shocks hidden under the frame so it looks like a hard tail . We had to put the motor in and then like a biker , go for a beer . I did manage to get my floors painted . The parts for my smoothie running board project need "refinement" (BFH), so no progress on that . Tomorrow I will attempt to make my seat mount and paint some more stuff . Shiny parts make it look like I have done something !

kb426

For most purposes, I finished my "quiet amplifier" this evening. I had been waiting on the man in Sweden to get his tremolo kit on the market. The first one arrived damaged so I waited a little while longer. It is all together and working now. :)
TEAM SMART