What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

From the description it sounds like the cut is on the face of an exterior panel. That means butt weld or see it again later. If it is visible inside the jamb and there's enough overlap, plug welds are in order. If none of the above apply, overlap and tack might do. If it's a seam you'll want to bondo over, you would want it at least welded entirely. Thats just my non-hobbyist's opinion.
Matt

idrivejunk

Last night when I went for gas in the 69 GP, a young couple suddenly came to a halt beside me and I heard the dreaded "Whoa!". Dude tossed it in park on the spot and they both got out and wanted pics of the car. Its filthy and I was pumping gas in it. Anyway he went on and on and kept scrolling on his phone frantically searching for pics of his 68 Malibu. I eventually told him I know what they look like and had one when I was 17. His has a 327. I had a 307. Ok. "Well my friend built a Camaro with a 502 blah blah yack yack" he says. Finally Mr Talky noticed me and his chick both looking at him funny. Then he seemed to realize he had parked strangely and started backing off. I promptly beat feet. Do you guys get this stuff? Its getting wierder and wierder and its starting to freak me out. Is there really better living through chemistry? Maybe its just time to plasti dip it but that don't change the shape.
Matt

UGLY OLDS

Gee ...We street rod people go through that everywhere ... :roll:   Ya need to get used to it .... 8)

I normally get: "Golly ..Uncle Fred & Aunt Martha had an Hudson/Dodge/Plymouth/Ford/Chevy/Studebaker JUST LIKE YOURS   :!:  :!:  :!:
But they had a Four door/Coupe and it was green/orange/gray/brown/black/etc....During the big snow of '56, they................. :roll:

It kinda comes with the territory..  I have on occasion let seniors take photos sitting in the Ugly Olds /Kidd's Dumb Dodge... It kinda makes their day.... 8)  

I even heard one older lady remark to her, (Hopefully), husband...Look George   :!:  Look at the size of that back seat   :!:   Remember those   :?:  :?:  :oops:  :roll:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

IDJ , sorry I neglected to say that the entire seam is hidden behind the T strip that the panels bolt together through . When assembled it will be completely covered by the T strip . I think I will do an assemble job with bolts in place of rivets for now to get the trunk gaps right and then when I have the shims for proper gap done I will por15 everything and re assemble with the rivets .

idrivejunk

Oh OK CK, I think I picture it now.  :idea:  Yes, mock-up is king :!: To the previous Q- well, you know what I do. You'd be less apt to encounter filler cracks that could migrate beyond the T strip over time if you weld the whole seam. While you're at it you could take the panels that meet the T strip to the bondo stage while its bolted, then go ahead and apply your final coatings before rivets. Could save you having to bondo up next to the strip. If I'm picturing it right. We know how that is.  :roll:

Bob, I reckon you are right. Get used to it. I'm just more of a storytelling jpg-monger than a saying hello to strangers type  :?  but I always say thanks and ain't shy to talk about the car. Back seat activities is where you gotta draw the line, ain't it?  :lol:  :oops: :lol: :)(  ~:)

Drove the 69 GP to my folks' place and back just now. Pretty day. Drove my old GT a little too, with Dad while I was up there. Revived it's A/C, fixed "low wash", swapped two wheel / tires and aired up the others. Now the wheels all match and the dash doesn't flash. :)  Did a little painting, remodeling cleanup, unboxed Mom's new stove and got fed. It was a good day, my parents are amazing.

On the way home, a Cherokee thats been hiding behind my right sail panel for a couple miles listening to the 455 song gets next to me at a light and says one I have never heard before...

Thats the best thang smokin!

I says well I don't know about that, but... yeah  );b(

Maybe its worth fixing up again.
Matt

enjenjo

Went over to Josh and Angela's house and installed two new windows. One opening was 3/4" out of square. I did manage to get both of them in square and level.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

Mock up on the T did not go well today .I finally got it figured out and trunk gaps look good . The last bit of pulling had the body moving visibly near where the fender meets the roof but everything measures right on diagonals including diagonals at the uprights right under the back window . A quick panel rub did not reveal any bulges or differences side to side so I think I will be alright . When all is together I think I will do some tapping with a mallet to relieve some of the stress in those panels . Might be a good time to wet down the panel to look for anything out of the ordinary . I will have to cut into the drivers side later on to put in a gas filler and I don't want any surprises then .I figured out the needed shims , welded them together and will weld them to the T strip before reassembly . It is a right royal pain trying to hold the shims in place when bolting this unit together . IDJ the panel actually bolts to the T strips , its the lower crossmember at the bottom of the panel that has to be riveted .

idrivejunk

I am going to refrain from offering any more input to anyone about Model Ts in the future. I have not been offended or anything, just don't know anything about the cars and ain't willing to keep guessing. Until I have worked on one my advice has no value. Sorry CK. Hope your project goes smoothly from here on out. It brings me joy knowing you conquered trunk gaps! :)
Matt

chimp koose

IDJ when I ask questions about body work it is your suggestions that I am most likely to follow . After seeing some of the messes you have cleaned up , I am inclined to value your opinion as someone who has 'been there done that ' . I am a machinist , not a body man . I know enough about body work to know that I don't know much about it . If I ever learn to post pictures it would probably help in getting my questions across except that I am certainly no photographer either . I will go back and finish welding the sides on my repair panel , por15 , and bolt er up ! I am certainly happy that I walked away for a day or so and then came back to this trunk gap issue as it is now nearly solved with results I can live with . Thanks to all for your input .

idrivejunk

I can imagine how lost I would be in a machine shop  :oops:  :roll: so its all fine. I need gobs of machine work but unlike bodywork, thats not a garage deal. Glad you get something out of my shotgun approach to picture stories. I do have a small blast of pics for the roundtable today, but another suprise popped up that I just gotta share...

Who remembers the root beer float '65 GTO convertible I've posted about in recent years? Well it finally got a write-up. I didn't do much but did do some on the car- initial block sanding, my first Kindig-It door handle install, and I shaved the dash speaker plus partially did the wiper cowl shave. Here is a link to the article-

http://www.timelessmuscle.com/features/feature-cars/pontiac/car-feature-billet-gto/
Matt

papastoyss

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Gee ...We street rod people go through that everywhere ... :roll:   Ya need to get used to it .... 8)

I normally get: "Golly ..Uncle Fred & Aunt Martha had an Hudson/Dodge/Plymouth/Ford/Chevy/Studebaker JUST LIKE YOURS   :!:  :!:  :!:
But they had a Four door/Coupe and it was green/orange/gray/brown/black/etc....During the big snow of '56, they................. :roll:

It kinda comes with the territory..  I have on occasion let seniors take photos sitting in the Ugly Olds /Kidd's Dumb Dodge... It kinda makes their day.... 8)  

I even heard one older lady remark to her, (Hopefully), husband...Look George   :!:  Look at the size of that back seat   :!:   Remember those   :?:  :?:  :oops:  :roll:

Yeah, I've seen plenty of older couples point at rumble seats & nudge each other & grin." Precious Memories, how they linger"
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

enjenjo

My Mom called and wanted me to taker to Costco to get her hearing aid fixed. When we were coming out they had a new Dodge Challenger R/T coupe 6.4 hemi, 8 speed auto trans in a bright yellow. I told her if she bought that car I would drive her any where she wanted. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Those are cool, a friend let me drive his Plum 5.7 R/T once.  8)

Boss did some squeaky wheelin' and got our name inserted into that GTO article today  :)  plus they fixed a load of typos.  :roll:
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"My Mom called and wanted me to taker to Costco to get her hearing aid fixed. When we were coming out they had a new Dodge Challenger R/T coupe 6.4 hemi, 8 speed auto trans in a bright yellow. I told her if she bought that car I would drive her any where she wanted. :lol:

In recent months: I had both my hearing aids repaired out of warranty at Costco.  I tell people I had the twin turbo upgrade.  LOL

No R/T coupe at our Costco  :twisted:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"My Mom called and wanted me to taker to Costco to get her hearing aid fixed. When we were coming out they had a new Dodge Challenger R/T coupe 6.4 hemi, 8 speed auto trans in a bright yellow. I told her if she bought that car I would drive her any where she wanted. :lol:

Don't hold us in suspense...... :roll:

What color did she order  :?:  :?:

More important ....Will she let YOU drive it   :?:  :?:  :lol:  :lol:

1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****