1969 Camaro bodywork

Started by idrivejunk, May 01, 2016, 12:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I did some research. The newest post I read was from 2011. Let's just say that there will be plenty of work to do. The manufacturer talks about better metal alloys and assemble process for collision purposes. They may have improved the assembly process so you don't need hundreds of hours to get a body painted. I'm a little surprised that with today's technology that the bodies wouldn't be really good. Color me naive.  :oops: There was also a discussion about the original vin. That seemed to be the decision maker for lots of people.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I would think that a "body replacement" would be what most of those are sold for, where a person already owns a nasty one with clear and genuine title. I bet it really is tough to get straight and current answers about them but I will say one thing...

Based on what I have been seeing over several years, Dynacorn stampings have improved by leaps and bounds. To that, I will add that the work isn't terribly difficult to do if you want to re-skin one like this. Logic indicates that even a new body with doors and lid hung is going to require some of this type work. I would be interested to know for example, the steel thickness used for rockers and rails. But I reserve judgement on the new bodies because I'm unwilling to speculate. Any findings from your research would be welcome here, KB.

On to the work at hand :arrow:

Might have sprayed epoxy today if I hadn't needed to spend a couple hours taking undercoating off the inside of the left quarter. On weld flanges and all. Dear Lord... why? The e-coat cleaned up fine.

Then I was able to finish this up-

This is the inside of that after grinding and fogging-

The outside-

... and fogged to keep humidity out-

That bottom corner is too close, needs a little more work.

The car just wants to go git'um that Falcon-

But I screwed the quarter on, to protect things during a break in activity. Then pushed it into a corner to make way for the '68.

It might be a spell before I'm back on this job. Time to work on the other one for a bit. To be continued...
Matt

idrivejunk

Well, slight change of plan today. Going to switch to the '68 on Thursday instead. Fine by me, I kept moving on the '69.

Made these. Took almost all day to make and install them.

They go here-

Don't be fooled by the next pic. I used a brake, shrinker / stretcher, drill press, and plenty of screws to form and fit the parts to the car. The anvil was handy for final shaping though. Sprayed some rattle etch on the backside and the car, then cleaned up weld spots with a drill bit once they were screwed down tight.

Plug plug plug. Grind grind grind.

So theres that, done-

Matt

idrivejunk

Tired of looking at ugly stuff? Your day is finally here.

Spent the morning warring on rust. If I didn't win... well I left a scar on it. Did what I could for it and called this the stopping point. It will last a long time.

One or two good soggy coats of DP90LF-

Heres the last glance at anything very ugly-

Screwed it on, and here we are. A good Thursday should have that welded on and smoothed out. Maybe I can get the roof on Friday if I hurry. Have not started prep on that part yet. I was supposed to work on the 68 today but that changed. I'm glad because I'd like to take this one past third base on the metal work, before I stop running. Did at least pick up junk around the car before leaving today!

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

chris spokes

he who has the most toys wins

idrivejunk

I thank you, Chris  8)  As you can see, I believe in plenty of welds  :shock:

It seemed like a lot, anyway.  :roll:

Onward ho  :arrow:

Today I blew some time on shop equipment maintenance and assisting others, so I kinda had to hurry and kinda wished I had got more done. But I refuse to rush the sail panel seams. Got a good amount of help too, though. Had an assistant help me handle the roof skin so I could use the drill press to make almost all the plug weld holes and that was a bit of a boost.

So the roof is welded on all around, except what you see here-

As you can see, I tacked in a filler rod to make up a little short edge part on the left. That seam will be so nice especialy on the right side...

IF I keep my cool!

Glad Dynacorn makes the skin this way, with no indent. The roof skin fit very nice. Trouble is, I have welded for a day and a half but ground nothing, so that means I gotta hustle. All I can do is keep it moving, and I shall. There are a few other nit-pick items to weld on or tweak yet, including seat braces. But I'm liking the looks of it  with the skins on-

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

GM put some funky little braces right here in the corner of the roof rail to quarter joint. I made abbreviated versions-

I ran and ran a did a lot of stuff that I didn't get pics of today.

Smoothed the welds at the front of the roof.

Welded in a floor flange strip that was ready from where I left off before.

Reinstalled trunk hinge spring rods, decklid, spoiler.

Tacked skins of trunk and doors to shells.

Patched the little gaps in the rear window bed lower corners.

Sliced and welded for gap on the right quarter where it was brazed.

Straightened and patched the left rocker's rear end.

Grinded the rear edge of the left door back at top and bottom corners then welded to correct tight spots in the gap.

Made those quarter corner braces...etc.

Its all finished now but this was all I got-

When I was about to get my end-o-day pics, boss walks us and says how we lookin. "Ready for mud if you want! Heres whats left blah blah" says me.

There were not a lot of blahs left, and we're in good shape. Thats huge, to be able to give the right answer about a deadline. Makes the hurrying seem worthwhile and satisfies everyone.

So, aside from a dent in the left rocker, some more flange strips inside, and making shifter and console holes, I think thats about it...

and there it is- a re-skinned 69 Camaro that won't need a great deal of filler work. Whew.

Matt

chimp koose

thanks for taking us along on this project . I enjoyed watching it progress

UGLY OLDS

What he said ..^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   8)

We are learnin' stuff ..  :D

This is another case where a picture is worth a bazillion words ..... 8)

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

34ford

Have enjoyed following along on this post. I've been looking for a 69 so it's been interesting seeing what you've been up against with this project. This got me to thinking that year one makes a new 69 body. So I called them and was told it is $13994.95 for the 69 coupe with doors and all the inner parts. I know that is a chunk of cash but it is all new with no hidden rust. I'm not sure of what the fit of the doors and deck lid are as well as other areas. I'm sure you have a lot of hours plus the parts that adds up to quite a sum for the one you are working on. Just thinking our loud. Keep up the good work.

Rrumbler

A good thread, thanks; interesting and informative.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

chris spokes

it's been an awesome build to follow this and the 68 you do very good work  8)
he who has the most toys wins

idrivejunk

Thank you gentlemen  :!:  :D

But the fat lady has not yet sung. You'll see it green before its over, so no epitaph yet required.

I was alarmed at how LOW the price was on the DC metal. Doors and roof hardly broke $500. I did all this in five weeks, working what hours most guys do maybe a little less. If you have a Camaro already, well...

Aw not the new body thing again... aborting that sidebar  :P

I have 20 pics for you today. I did not quite finish up, I have flange strips on the driver's side to go. BUT- At the beginning of the day, boss re-appeared and returned my written log... and said that we hit the hours right on the predicted nose. Amazing, to me. I did sprint the whole time. Again today, too. Lets look-

This was S.A.D. (sandpaper-aided design). Its the template I made for those roof rail corner pieces from yesterday.

This is where I had to create some clearance at the bottom corner of the door-

And at the top-

Last thing I did before I split, driver's side seat brace-

Passenger side flange strips from across the interior-

RF corner trunk gap fix (where it was brazed)-

Window bed corner patch-

Driver's side still waiting for flange strips-

Passenger front floor-

Driver's rear window corner patch and stuff-

That rocker fix from yesterday. Both rockers have big dents still. That will be grouped into the mud work phase, labor-wise-

Up front-

See the factory "stud goes here" triangles?

Passenger rear flange strips, from above-

Passenger front again-

Wouldn't want to leave anything out, its all important but isn't all exciting.
Matt