1969 Camaro bodywork

Started by idrivejunk, May 01, 2016, 12:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

I've been following & enjoying all your build posts, you are the man!! What is your opinon of .023/.025 wire for sheet metal welding?
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

idrivejunk

Thanks!  :D  8)

I think .023 MIG wire on a good 110V welder is perfect for sheetmetal.

Used some .035 and some .030 on this job, both on Miller 220s with 75/25 gas, and .030 was a good pick because there was a great deal of 16 gauge involved.

Today I got done with this stage of the job. All the flange strips are in and I can't think of anything else to weld. Took it outside to blow it off, and its still filthy...

Then out came the epoxy primer on a brush. Flooded all the new seams with it twice. Of course I did spray rattle etch on the backsides during weld prep.

Epoxy almost dry here-

Tomorrow I'm working on the '68. These cars are a simple pleasure to work on, body-wise.  :)  8)
Matt

Beck

There have been cars I have sold and cars I didn't buy because of sheet metal work. ALl of it was minor compared to these 2 Camaros. If I would have known someone like you to handle that part of the build I would still own them or would have bought those for sale.

I refrained from looking at a 90 Fox Mustang a few weeks ago. I knew if I went to look it would have followed me home. I am kind of regretting not going.

Interested in doing some mini tubs, torque box reinforcement, and frame connectors on a Fox?

idrivejunk

Always interested in fixing or modifying another Mustang. I did a bunch to a Fox not long ago and its still stored there in primer, waiting for funds to build back up.  I sprayed epoxy on a '66 stang core support before I left today. We love Mustangs. Bring it.

Forum manners prevent me from posting the shop's info (not here to advertise, just to share) but send me a private message for the contact info or link to shop's website. We do have a great crew and stay busy.
Matt

idrivejunk

Double post, sorry  :oops:
Matt

idrivejunk

QuoteUsed some .035 and some .030 on this job, both on Miller 220s with 75/25 gas, and .030 was a good pick because there was a great deal of 16 gauge involved.

Quoting myself because a correction is needed. Model number of the welders is 212. I called them 220s.
Matt

papastoyss

Quote from: "idrivejunk"
QuoteUsed some .035 and some .030 on this job, both on Miller 220s with 75/25 gas, and .030 was a good pick because there was a great deal of 16 gauge involved.

Quoting myself because a correction is needed. Model number of the welders is 212. I called them 220s.
I asked because I saw you were using the heavier wire. I use the .023 in my Lincoln 180c for everything up to 3/16 metal. I'm not brave enough to turn the heat up enough to use the .030 wire on sheet metal but your spot beads look much better than mine.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Beck

Quote from: "Beck"There have been cars I have sold and cars I didn't buy because of sheet metal work. ALl of it was minor compared to these 2 Camaros. If I would have known someone like you to handle that part of the build I would still own them or would have bought those for sale.

I refrained from looking at a 90 Fox Mustang a few weeks ago. I knew if I went to look it would have followed me home. I am kind of regretting not going.

Interested in doing some mini tubs, torque box reinforcement, and frame connectors on a Fox?

You inspired me to go check out that 90 Mustang. This car looked very good in the photos and had the right parts on it. You guys have all been in this situation. As soon as the garage door was opened your mind screamed - JUNK. The owner and I were obviously on "different pages". I couldn't leave fast enough.

So no mini tubs, torque box, frame connectors needed at this time.

UGLY OLDS

QuoteYou inspired me to go check out that 90 Mustang. This car looked very good in the photos and had the right parts on it. You guys have all been in this situation. As soon as the garage door was opened your mind screamed - JUNK. The owner and I were obviously on "different pages". I couldn't leave fast enough.

So no mini tubs, torque box, frame connectors needed at this time.

Good ol' Illinois "Brown Bottom Disease "   :?:  :?:  :lol:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

That Fox body that I recently did was an eye-opener in a way. When I tried to work the quarter on it, I immediately was reminded of the old piece of plain tin that Dad kept around to make stuff with when I was a kid. The steel seemed like there was too much tin in it or something. I am no metallurgist but its the only car I've noticed that on... kinda like theres no memory in the steel for lack of better words. But there was little rust. I wonder if newer Mustangs rot as bad as the old ones. I'm sure we can find you something :wink:  

Anyway... There is 69 Camaro news and its good. Used the new glass for the '68 to check fit on both these Camaros and not only does it lay in there nice but it fit both cars about the same. Thats an indicator of success   :)
Matt

Beck

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Actually the car was rust free, just trashed. Unless there was rust under the repaint. Under the car it looked good. I expected I should have been able to tell it was black, but months of dirt hid the color nearly completely. I didn't expect 4 flat tires either.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Beck"
Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"

Actually the car was rust free, just trashed. Unless there was rust under the repaint. Under the car it looked good. I expected I should have been able to tell it was black, but months of dirt hid the color nearly completely. I didn't expect 4 flat tires either.

Not to worry .... Mustangs make GREAT parts cars ... :idea:   Just ask KB... :roll:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Bob is my hero!  :lol:

Mine, too!  :D
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "idrivejunk"

I have a 210 Miller.  I use the .035 wire  in it.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)