1969 Camaro bodywork

Started by idrivejunk, May 01, 2016, 12:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Heres that wheelhouse all welded up, smoothed on both sides, and fogged with black. I didn't have enough battery for flash inside the wheelwell, but I assure you there are no pinholes and nothing to grab a sidewall there. Feels smooth. Have not yet re-tried the quarter on. The wheelhouse lip may require additional light bending to fit closely.

Did some more sanding then rust converter application in the area shown-

This area is next up. Theres a rip in the metal where that clamp is.

There are a couple patches required down low in the B-pillar area-

Matt

idrivejunk

Today I added this tab where the rocker wasn't connected to the wheelhouse-

Did those two patches-

Decided I'm gonna need visual progress real soon since I've spent days behind this right quarter, so I sanded, cleaned, and applied epoxy to all thats covered by the new panel. Yeah I missed a spot or two at the front but I did brush under that new flange above the rocker. If the quarter still fits well enough (after some work where I split it and some weld prep), it won't have to come off again.

Matt

UGLY OLDS

Nice work as always .... 8)   It is a reminder that rust hides everywhere ... :x
Wasn't there an ad that said "Rust Never Sleeps"  :?:  :?:
 Did I mention that I HATE rust  :evil:  :roll:  :shock:  :lol:

Good thing the owner realized early that there was more there than he could handle .... Now it will be repaired correctly & be as strong as new ..... 8)

Bob..
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Thanks! I was amazed how much those little patches stiffened the inner quarter. Some of the old welds just rust away. it will not rust in peace on my watch ha ha. But yes theres so much of it which never gets tended to. At least its minimal on this rig.
Matt

idrivejunk

Test fitted the quarter with the modified outer wheelhouse and some beating was required but nothing major. So I marked weld holes, planned a bit, and decided to spend some time at the drill press, brake, shinky stretchy, and blast cabinet.

Made this-

...which doesn't look like much until its attached-

Then welded, lightly smoothed, and fogged with etch-

Got the next section made but thats it. I'll get the hang of it.

Then it was five-

Matt

idrivejunk

Since the rest of that can be easily reached from inside the car, I once again went for visual external progress...

Not much to show nor tell today but the right quarter is on it for keeps. That part is in place with screws, ready to begin my welding process.

Here is a sampling of the activities-

Backside of where I cut for fit right next to the tail lamp (quarter is laying on a stand in pic) was actually not too bad. Welded one little hole and lightly grinded-

There was a little crack here by the top outside corner, at the tail panel. Lo and behold, thats brazing rod on a brand new quarter. On a crack! Nifty.

Welded that after cleaning out the brazed material.

Yesterday I made this outie corner of the qtr an innie because it was hitting the door. Got gap now.

There was drilling and fussing over this and that-

Then on it went, for good.

I may just get the other side to this point before I plug weld. The sheetmetal shop's (Miller 220) welder with .030 wire has a trigger issue so right now I'm using the mechanic shop's one with .035. I'd rather get back to .030 for this.
Matt

kb426

Nice progress. I am so glad that you are doing this and not me. I'm with Bob, I hate rust! :)  I've done collision repair decades ago but never had to take them done to this level. Every time my son asks about a new project, these kind of images are in my mind. :)
TEAM SMART

chris spokes

some nice work there well done  8)
he who has the most toys wins

idrivejunk

Another rainy Monday!  :roll:

Thanks, guys  :D  8)

I decided to weld the quarter on. It was too tempting  :idea: sitting there all prepped. I nearly finished.

The bag full of new tools I brought in sure made this easier :!:

Here is a sampling of fresh plug welds-

After grinding-

I relocated this corner bumper brace to where the quarter wants it to be-

Remembered I needed to slice this front trunk corner for gap, but saw gold soon as I touched it. More brazing on a new part, and its hurting the fit! I'll dig it out later.

Matt

UGLY OLDS

More " Connect the dots" ... :D   Gee .....You're getting pretty good at this... 8)
Somebody fixed the metal shop welder, huh   );b(

Is it normal to find braze material in parts or is that more of an "import" thing  :?:  
 Is there any application on these panels for weld through primer or does the E-Coat provide enough protection  :?:

It's looking good .. 8)  
Now if we could just get some photos from Chimp so you can give him his final grade for the semester ..... :roll:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"More " Connect the dots" ... :D   Gee .....You're getting pretty good at this... 8)
Somebody fixed the metal shop welder, huh   );b(

Is it normal to find braze material in parts or is that more of an "import" thing  :?:  
 Is there any application on these panels for weld through primer or does the E-Coat provide enough protection  :?:

It's looking good .. 8)  
Now if we could just get some photos from Chimp so you can give him his final grade for the semester ..... :roll:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:

Dot dot dot Zapa zap zap  :D  Easy peasy!  8)  (he says, after days of laborious prep)

I have never seen or heard of brazing on new parts. Its usually OE or very old or old school repair when I hit gold like that. Wonder whats under there.

I am from the "No thanks on the weld-thru primer" camp. I believe it interferes more with a proper weld than any benefit it may have is worth, as far as corrosion protection. Nail polish is possibly a more stable coating than weld-thru. Any 2K coating tops that for protection near welding. Leave it on the shelf and don't mess up the e-coat or epoxy on mating flanges, except where the weld kernel will be. Anywhere you get a chance, brush flood epoxy into flanges.

Thats just my opinion!  :wink:

Thanks again for the interest and kindness. Let us embark on today's epic adventures-

I finished welding up the quarter blah blah blah. Didn't get a pic of the welds at the drip rail, those were tense and I kept them only lukewarmish if you know what I mean. No warps though.

Down at the front of the wheelwell on the rearward end of the rocker there was a mess. I had been stuffing rust converter in behind it all along, and now was the time to fix. It was really mangled looking, I tapped around on it and tacked it before pic to avoid the barfys.

I just kinda listened to music for a spell while playing bodyshop and then there was this.

Then I remembered to take a flash pic inside the front of the quarter looking down at the rocker. Even if only half of those stuck, I'm satisfied. It only had about half that many.

Then I ground the row of welds everyone is tired of looking at on the tail panel behind the bumper. Then I started eyeballing that left quarter...

Big ol wide gap at the top. I took some measurements and established the quarter as the culprit. The outside edge of the notch for the U-seal was vertically flush with the flange for the window fuzzy on the other side, but not on this one. So the quarter stuck out a little too, at the top corner.

So, I thinks. Then I chops.

Then I bent, the edge only, forward.

Cut it all the way through at the top and just set the gap like I wanted-

In that pic, you can see that the top of the quarter now aligns with the door. I had to push it in. Then I trimmed the old edge that was sticking out past the face of the panels and tacked patches in. I don't want to stick this to the inner so I'm being careful and may just tack it and finish with the panel off.. I do have a screw holding the inner to the outer for no suprises later.

It will work out, you'll see-

Matt

idrivejunk

Today I beveled that corner back to where I want it, added a bit of rod at the bottom of the split, and smoothed the existing tacks-

Tacked some more-

Marked welds and took the quarter off-

These welds at the base of the B pillar rusted off just like the other side-

Nothing new here-

OK, one new thing-

Sanding and dot welding and more rust converter-

A new patch on the left and brace on the right, down at the rocker-

That about covers today's action!
Matt

kb426

Looking at this leaves me with one thought: Dynacorn. :)
I'm not thinking I would want to do this much work. Good work, Matt.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

When you open your corn crate, post some good pics of the gaps please! :idea:  I would like to see at least one.

I'd much rather wreck in a GM car.

Thanks, KB  8)
Matt