68 Camaro bodywork

Started by idrivejunk, March 11, 2016, 03:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

Glad we have this so we know where the shiny parts screw on at-

Assembly is like a tall staircase with steps missing here and there, as always. It would be nice to complete one section and move on methodically but I think you all know how that goes... so we end up seeing this gradual formation of the car as a whole like its growing as a tree would. Suddenly one day theres a mighty oak. On that day I'd like to snap after pics that match the befores.

Here, watch your step and peek around at the goodies-

As with anything tubbed, the quarter windows will be stationary, mounted on "bobbed" regulators  :lol:

It gets the full load of chrome, rockers and all. A couple teamwork things happened on this car... the longer the crew stays unchanged, the more we can communicate and cooperate. The bonded glass beds have only epoxy over steel showing (no paint), for proper glass installation. The seam sealer in the drip rails was neatly kept from the rail where the trim snaps over, and that helps eliminate installer grief. If you have any curiosities about what you see just ask.    8)  :arrow:
Matt

kb426

I'd like to hear the owners reaction after he drives the finished car. I'm assuming he had driven it before it was disassembled and brought to your shop.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"I'd like to hear the owners reaction after he drives the finished car. I'm assuming he had driven it before it was disassembled and brought to your shop.

I don't know if this is a sentimental history car for the guy or not but he is a different person now than when we started. He keeps funneling parts in and the frown is now upside-down. Giddy on the loud pedal and giggling like a school girl is how I picture that first drive. That must be why people build these things! For me, the end crowns the work. Finis coronat opus is whats on my family crest.

For this guy, its a dream coming true whose seed was planted twenty years ago. Its been a project that long. I hope it does everything as imagined, so he can beat on it confidently! I did hear a something about a planned track day :wink:
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

chimp koose

looks good . Please remember that when the nitrous is in the drivers compartment that it requires the blowoff valve to be vented to the outside of the car to have a "track day" at an NHRA track.

chimp koose

Again , nice car ! I just saw the last two pictures as my computer is very slow to load pictures lately . I would remind the owner that a trunk mounted battery requires an outside rear located battery kill switch and that the battery hold down needs to use 3/8 or larger fasteners to secure the battery . Not all battery kits have the required size hold downs for NHRA acceptance . A good place to mount a kill switch is on or beside the licence plate . If the kill switch is mounted with a remote switch (push pull ) the switch must shut off when PUSHED in and the positions must be labelled ie. ...push off . before this rule many operated the other way and were labelled " * off ". I saw this many times in my years as a tech inspector. I am in no way criticizing the build or in any way saying this stuff has to be done , but in order to have an enjoyable track day , passing tech is the first order of business . The hard part for me if this was my car would be having to drill a hole anywhere in that car , it is too nice !

idrivejunk

In the one sentence where I heard track day mentioned, it was in the context of having rented the track for just this one car to find out what it will do. As far as I know there is zero plans for competition or even test-n-tune. Of course the cage is just for looks and scope out how much rubber fuel line is there. I am clueless what goes on in the back shop and why, I just prepare them for shiny stuff. For all I know, the man has a 1/4 mile driveway and wants to check the mailbox in a hurry!

I am just not involved in that part of the builds, Only put together two of my jobs in over 5 years, both stock muscle. The rule book for an intended facility should be consulted during the design of any drag car build. This build started in the 90s when rules were probably different.

Last time I took my GP to Tulsa to drag, I was sticker-ed for no catch can but they let me run. That was ten years ago and probably my last pass ever. I don't even know that there's a tech inspection if you rent the track.
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

The owner came and picked it up this morning to go install the engine and trans then it will be back. Put-together man got a few pics for me...

Matt

kb426

I hope the owner is experienced and careful. If it was me, there would be a scratch somewhere, even if it was on the bottom and only I knew it. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Well look at it this way, little dents or scratches fix as easy on this now as on a five year old car. Now if theres a picker mishap, o boy! I think its actually a relative of the owner, who built and will install the engine. Somebody used to doing that. I bet they are all over it as we type, lol. Blankets, lots of blankets!
Matt

UGLY OLDS

I would be afraid to work on that car .....Like you said ....Blankets, tape & more blankets .... 8)

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

chris spokes

c 8)  8) l ,matt you gotta love that sound
he who has the most toys wins