68 Camaro bodywork

Started by idrivejunk, March 11, 2016, 03:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

I do and it smells good as well  8)  The tune is just a pup at this point.

Maybe a little tame sounding for the giant tires but theres also that giant bottle :idea:  :wink:
Matt

idrivejunk

Matt

kb426

Sounds ready for my test drive. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Good lookin car.  Sounds like fun to be had there.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

idrivejunk

It has electric cutouts on the exhaust, I bet that sounds more hairy! Saw it with all the windows up yesterday, and gawked at the pretty but subtle nitrous plumbing. One of these days I'll get decent pics of the trunk gaps, its ajar in all the other pics. Coming together nicely!

The current scuttlebutt has it at Mo-Kan in mid-November for some closed-to-public test-n-tune runs, and swears the engine (now saying its an LS4) is 6.0 or 6.2L and dyno'ed at 500+ HP. I surely hope the shakedown runs go safely, its real easy to make a mess out of one if it gets away from ya.

Case and point- A mechanic got into trouble with this one on the road. I looked it over Friday. You wouldn't think a 69 Camaro could be a total loss but this one probably is...  What a tear-*! The pic does not do justice to the damage.

Matt

kb426

Ouch! I would hate to be the guy that had to call the owner and tell him I just killed his car.  :oops:
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

That would be a horrible call to make but even worse to get!  :shock:

The owner couldn't bear to go look, but I did. Its plenty bad. I want to show that pic to the '68's owner before he goes to the strip. Because its so easy to get wrapped up in the fun and excitement and let physics slip your mind for a moment.

It was a sobering experience looking at the wrecked car. Even though crashes are a big part of my life and I am somewhat numb to that, I felt like an ER doc comforting a dying man when I was with the car. :cry:
Matt

idrivejunk

Here is a link to the new folder containing the missing pictures from this thread-

http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/66chevroldsmobuiac/library/1968%20Camaro

Currently at page two with re-uploading them. Thanks for your patience and apologies for the inconvenience. I will continue the uploads as time allows, and update with anything new I can get. Thanks for watching the IDJ show.

Heres a before-and-after:

I hope to get some better "afters" in the future. Befores are at the above link until they can maybe someday be restored to the original posts. Never had a chance to get any glamour shots of it amidst the flurry of finishing touches. :roll: The owner was supposed to have some drag runs last weekend but I have not heard how that went yet.
Matt

idrivejunk

It went 12.75, would not hook up.
Matt

jaybee

Get it to hook up and it should be really fast.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

We didn't ask if he was using his slicks or not. I do think it got a good shakedown at the strip anyway. He stopped by with it and I got a grin out of him pretty easily by asking about the number on the window.   :0-0  :D

I just uploaded hundreds of pics, up to page six currently  :arrow:  8)
Matt

idrivejunk

It has slipped my mind of late, to get the rest of those pics uploaded  :roll:   :oops:

But Ol Yella was in today, and I asked the man if he had slicks mounted on his dragstrip shakedown. Nope, working towards that now. But he has been cruising it some, however not without issue. Said he has put two clutches in it, all McLeod stuff. Throwout bearing blows a seal, and apparently his ain't been the only one to do it. I asked the brand on that, then he began the next tale. Balancer trouble of some sort. He was out in the styx cruisin', lost gauges. Peeked and his 8-rib serpentine belt had become a 7-rib. It slipped past the end of the A/C pulley and wouldn't you know... the flinging strand of belt snatched a sensor harness and..... well I had to go back to work. Its a hot rod.    :wink: :-}
Matt

idrivejunk

Hot diggity I finally got some what I call glam shots of the finished car today. Out front and ready for action! After any big build like this, and especially one where customer has engine installed elsewhere... after all the shakedowns and a little usage, most are allowed this return visit when paint scuffs and such can be addressed. She sure is lookin fine these days, so heres a walkaround in not-so-blinding light and no I don't think the driver's door is shut all the way :arrow:

Matt

idrivejunk

Here are some detail shots  :arrow:

Matt

kb426

Hi there, yellow taxi? Could you send one of those yellow taxi cabs over to 495 beechwood drive? :) Car looks good. 1 question: do you have any idea why there is a steering wheel cover on what looks like a new steering wheel?????
TEAM SMART