2021: .. Tool reviews & suggestions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 18, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I bought that one a Lowes for the 99 buck deal a couple of months ago.  Nice sized drill.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

just an update on Home Depot brand Ryobi cordless drills....  they have a new offering with one 1.3ah battery , charger and 1/2 inch drill for 70 dollars.

They seem to be blowing out the olde design drills that are Not brushless motor.

The Brushless drill kit I bought , went up 30 dollars to 129.99  ......t that kit has the brushless motor drill, 2 batterys that are 2.0ah units and the charger.  A carry bag too
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Been looking at current cordless drills ... again.  They sure are looking the same design style now a days.

According to enjenjo's tool manufacturer list: these 2 are both built by Stanley Black & Decker.

Others look similar too.  Just interesting the direction the industry is going on design and manufacturing.

Smallish batterys at 1.3ah
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought another cordless drill this week.  and:

Lowes dropped the price on the Kobalt  drill kit with Brushless motor 1/2 inch drill, charger, 1 - 2ah battery and cloth tool bag.  Price is down from 129.00 to 99.00 dollars.  I bought another 2ah battery for 20 dollars , that bring the price to 119.00 dollars.  I was happy with that.

So far:  the power is good.  The trigger throttle is very linear , very easy to control speed.  Chuck works well.  Automatic Brake stops the spinning quickly after the trigger is released ... I may like this drill better than the Ryobi  drill  I bought a while back.

Also:  bought the 3/8 inch impact gun.  It is Brushless motor too. Tool only, no battery, no charger. Price  was dropped to 79.00 dollars.

no photos yet...

Also:  Lowes has been issuing coupons at the check out...  Coupon is good for usually 7 days.. out here they start on a thursday and stop on the next wednesday.  10 dollars off the next 50 dollar purchase.  Of course , lots of small print on the coupon. < sorry about that, Bob
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quik update.. tip.

You may know or not of Mike Rowe the TV guy.  Various TV shows.  Dirty Jobs is one.  Mike has a foundation that provide funds to folks looking to get into the trade schools for employment.  Mike believes there is a need for people in the trades as there are many un filled jobs out there

He posted a video year ago on Rev Mark Pen company.  they build markers of various types in the USA.

I bought a box of the Mike Rowe Works pens from Rev Mark..  Some money from the sale  goes to Mike's foundation .

These markers work very well on metal and other materials in the hotrod world..  Durable tip. Much longer lasting  tip than the common sharpie marker tip.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

couple photos of the Kobalt brand cordless tools I bought recently.

Happy with them so far.  For my use , they fit well.

Interesting marketing ploy here with the 24 volt max .. they provide a graph on how the battery puts out 24 volts for a short initial  time , then drops to a fairly consistent 20 volt output till the battery runs low.

I have found the 2.0 amp hour battery works well for my use.  Many of the drill kits come with 1.3 or the 1.5 amp hour battery.  They work well for home use
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought a couple of smaller jack stands.  18 dollars for the pair at Harbor Freihgt.

Looking at the folding engine hoist they have..  I have  a super  coupon for 99.99 dollars for one
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Took my Kobalt cordless tools to work.  been using the 3/8 drive impact for about 2 weeks now. Most of the work on the bench is mild torque required.  30 foot pounds of torque on some bolt on bell housings is the upper lever I need.  Many items where  the torque setting is verified - tighten up with a torque wrench

I admit I like being able to carry the impact away from the bench and NOT  deal with an air hose
Tony

enjenjo

It looks like Sears is going to file bankruptcy soon, maybe as soon as friday.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"It looks like Sears is going to file bankruptcy soon, maybe as soon as friday.

I read that on a few news websites.  They have a large payment due soon & no money to pay it.
Tony

sirstude

we have a "down home Sears" or whatever they call it here in Helena.  It was sold a couple of months ago and the new owners have a new building planned.  I wonder what they think of this whole mess.  Also, wonder if the old owners had information, since they had held on to the store with an iron fist.  Many offers to buy it, but no sale for years.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"It looks like Sears is going to file bankruptcy soon, maybe as soon as friday.

I read that on a few news websites.  They have a large payment due soon & no money to pay it.

and:  boom.  Sears files chapter 11 bankruptcy .  Should be interesting from here on out.
Tony

kb426

I did read that the ceo was also the hedge fund company that had been doing the bailouts since Kmart melted down. What little I read made me think that his investment in Sears would be valuable even if it folded completely. Am I missing something in this scenario ?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Eddie Lampert was thrown out as CEO of Sears several months ago, but he is still Chairman of the board. But a company he owns bought most of Sears real estate a couple years ago, and leased it back to Sears. He also spun off Sears Home stores, sears auto centers, and Sears outlets. And of course Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Stanley back in january. All of these were to raise working capital. His fund is the biggest creditor of Sears, so he will end up with a bunch of cash out of the bankruptcy. Just another corporate raider. The real losers will be the shareholders.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.