2021: .. Tool reviews & suggestions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 18, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Here is a Ryobi driver I use on Valve body screws on transmissions. Really saves my tired olde hands.  About 1 year old.  Lithium battery.

It does not have an adjustable torque setting  head on it.  I have not missed that feature yet.

You can rotate the sections at the center.  Turn the unit into a straight driver, not the angled handle as I use it.  I am not easy on this thing.  It has taken more that I expected it to.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

We've never bought a new mower since we were married, and we're (she) is using a Troy-Bilt Bronco tractor to mow the grass. Her birthday is in November, so yesterday I (we) bought her a new Toro 4225 Zero Turn mower. We have about an acre of grass to mow and it takes about an hour with the tractor; takes me almost as long to trim with the weed whacker. They are delivering it this afternoon, and she's really excited about getting it. Neither of us has used a zt, although I've used rear steer mowers which is close. I'll let everyone know how well if works (after she tells me, haha).
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

Phil, I have used a Walker front mount mower for ten years. It is possible to rip out the grass with a tire if you turn to short. I don't know how your Toro will be but the Walker is the roughest riding piece of equipment I've ever run. I installed a suspension seat on it to make it not painful. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"We've never bought a new mower since we were married, and we're (she) is using a Troy-Bilt Bronco tractor to mow the grass. Her birthday is in November, so yesterday I (we) bought her a new Toro 4225 Zero Turn mower. We have about an acre of grass to mow and it takes about an hour with the tractor; takes me almost as long to trim with the weed whacker. They are delivering it this afternoon, and she's really excited about getting it. Neither of us has used a zt, although I've used rear steer mowers which is close. I'll let everyone know how well if works (after she tells me, haha).

She will love the zero turn. I have a Toro 5550 there is a bit of a learning curve operating one, what I did was use the slower speed until I got the hang of it. Mowing time with a two acre lawn is about 90 minutes vs 3 hours with a conventional mower. I noticed you need to keep the blades sharp because of the higher speed, but that is the only down side.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Oh gee, I recently took an older Dixon ztr mower in a trade deal just to see how it worked.

After my first try at mowing I realized I'm almost too old to remember my left from my right let alone how to go forward, backward and turning.

By the time I got the yard mowed after many trials and tribulations I was plumb wore out. My arms were aching just from pushing forward to go in a straight line, almost as bad as using a push mower, but at least the yard got mowed.

Sure hope Roger/t-vicky gets my lawn tractor working soon.

kb426

I bought a set of Eastwood stitch magnets on an introductory offer about a year ago. I dug out the box and tried them today. They are the strongest magnets I've used. Way better than all the rest of my welder's magnets. Lining up panels are where these have a purpose. I'm reasonably satisfied. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

I made the decision ...  bought the Ryobi brushless drill kit.  2 batterys, charger, drill.... priced dropped to 99.00 at the Home Depot.

After I few days.  I should have an idea if I made a bad or good change.  90% of my drill use at work is light duty stuff.

I will put the Craftsman stuff on eBay.
Tony

WZ JUNK

Tony, that looks like one of the ones I have had for a couple of years now.  It will be interesting to see what your opinion of the tool will be.  I know that you will use it more than I do.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Tony, that looks like one of the ones I have had for a couple of years now.  It will be interesting to see what your opinion of the tool will be.  I know that you will use it more than I do.  

John

the brushless design is suppose to be the "new " deal  in cordless tools.

So far: One difference between Craftsman and Ryobi drill is the trigger response.  The Ryobi is much quicker to respond than the C3 stuff.  I needed to relearn my trigger action.  Not a problem.  Just different.
Tony

papastoyss

Quote from: "Crosley"I made the decision ...  bought the Ryobi brushless drill kit.  2 batterys, charger, drill.... priced dropped to 99.00 at the Home Depot.

After I few days.  I should have an idea if I made a bad or good change.  90% of my drill use at work is light duty stuff.

I will put the Craftsman stuff on eBay.
I have an older model Ryobi drill that has served me well. I also have a leaf blower that uses the same battery. Look at their flashlight that uses the same battery, it's real handy,esp under a dash.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

58 Yeoman

Last week I bought a DeWalt 12V drill, battery and charger at a garage sale for $3...it said the battery was bad. I bought 2 generic batteries off ebay for $15 free shipping. Now my wife has her own cordless drill to use out in the yard instead of my 20V. She has two augers that drill holes into the ground for planting small plants.

Phil

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

That could be real useful. The height of it might be a problem in some areas. Your hands should be a lot less sore when using rivnuts. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Home Depot has a 99.00 dollar deal on  20v Dewalt cordless 1/2 inch drill kit:

Clik here

You order online , ship to store.  Batterys are 1.3ah ... kinda light, but will work
Tony

58 Yeoman

That looks like the same one that I bought a few months ago (or maybe a year, I don't know), but I didn't get it for that price. But I did get the 10% veterans discount.

Phil