2021: .. Tool reviews & suggestions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 18, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Just a coincidence my YA212A welder from snap on broke yesterday. It's not feeding wire properly. I have a spare feed motor, so that won't be it. It is likely the power relay, cheap, or the circuit board, expensive. I'll have to diagnose it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

I was mig welding something a couple weeks ago with my Hobart, and I reached over to turn down the voltage. It wouldn't work after that, so I stopped and disassembled the cover to see if I could find anything. Nope. Checked online and found a common resistor, or something that is the most common cause. Went out and looked. That's when I noticed the the voltage switch was in between two settings. Moved it to the lower setting, and it worked. I lucked out.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"We have a new Snap On tool dealer.. again. About 2 months now. Then last week a new guy shows up. The new dealer fellow hired this guy to operate his truck and the truck owner is process to buy another truck for a different Snap On route.

Monday I hand the new guy 2 broken tools.  A  #27 torx 3/8 drive  bit  and 3/8 to 1/4 inch adapter tool.  About 30 minutes later:  wondering where my tools are at , I walk outside.  Truck is gone.  I ask a young co-worker: where did he go? I receive a lengthy explanation.

Maybe next monday I will get my tools back.  Broken or not?

good news:  I received my tools back today.  broken tools replaced.  I had to go onto the Snap On truck to receive them.  This new dealer guy thinks he is gonna sell me something.  I keep explaining to him:  I am old and have double or triple of most tools.

i told this dealer guy today:  Next year, I am retiring and will likely be selling many of my tools to these young guys...  there were 4 of the younger guys standing there.  LOL  I have many transmission specific store bought tools and custom made tools I use every day.

Actually: With 2 of the guys at work,   I have 3 pending sales at the moment.  When I receive the remaining money , the deals are done.  These are larger items:  Roll cab with top box...  hydraulic shop type press
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

I went to use a C-man 1/4" drive ratchet the other day, and found that the spring and ball was missing. I went to another tool box and got one that was complete. While we were driving around on Saturday, I stopped at the only large Sears store and asked if they had a repair kit. He said he was out, but to try any Ace hardware store. I stopped at an Ace, and he told me that they just replace them. I said that I didn't have it with me, and that it's USA made. He then said that the C-man tools have gone downhill, and that I would be better off keeping my ratchet. I agreed, but said that the repair kit is probably made in China anyway. I'll try Sears again next week.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

purplepickup

I ordered this adapter so I can use Dewalt 20v batteries on Craftsman 19.2v tools.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADAPTER-FOR-DEWALT-and-Milwaukee-BATTERY-Convert-to-CRAFTSMAN-19-2V-PLUG-TOOL-G-/133120834287?txnId=1622960208003.
I switched from Craftsman to Dewalt years ago and am happy with the yellow & black tools but I still have some good sears tools with no batteries that I hate to just throw away so I'll give the adapter a try.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "purplepickup"I ordered this adapter so I can use Dewalt 20v batteries on Craftsman 19.2v tools.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADAPTER-FOR-DEWALT-and-Milwaukee-BATTERY-Convert-to-CRAFTSMAN-19-2V-PLUG-TOOL-G-/133120834287?txnId=1622960208003.
I switched from Craftsman to Dewalt years ago and am happy with the yellow & black tools but I still have some good sears tools with no batteries that I hate to just throw away so I'll give the adapter a try.

Looks bulky in the photos... let us know how it works out.
Tony

purplepickup

Quote from: "Crosley"
Will do, when I get home from my cabin in a week or so.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought a plastic rack for tool box drawer.. Holds pliers of various sizes, shapes.

Ernst Manufacturing brand.  On eBay, this one is #5500 ... $15.99 delivered.  there are other Ernst brand tool holders on eBay and other web sites.. I have so many types of pliers I needed something to organize them.

I may buy a couple more.

One photo has a 8 fl oz   Lucas oil bottle in it for size indicator on the organizer rack.

Real happy how this works in the drawer.  Need a drawer that is 3.75 to 4 inches deep so the pliers can stand on edge. I am trying to get a little better organized on my tool boxes.

Placing some xtra  tools on eBay... Blue Point #1020  spline type extractor kit sold in about 12 minutes..  Must have been a bit low on the price?
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

bought a couple  plastic budget end wrench holders.  16 slots.  Bought on eBay, shipped via Amazon. Seller is based in Vietnam.

Also:  bought another holder for pliers..  straightened up my drawer a great amount from the pliers laying flat.  Will see if I adjust to using it.  LOL

In the plier rack: I have some of the smaller snap ring pliers doubled up in one slot.
Tony

purplepickup

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Ok, I finally got home and tried the adapter. It works perfectly. Maybe a little bulkier than just the battery but not much and it lets me use the craftsman tools I was just going to give away. Well worth the $14.
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Ok, I finally got home and tried the adapter. It works perfectly. Maybe a little bulkier than just the battery but not much and it lets me use the craftsman tools I was just going to give away. Well worth the $14.

In your photo it looks less bulky ..  The adapter is a  good idea that helps  keep good tools going.

My attempt at rebuild Craftsman batterys did not go well.  I figure it was some thing I was over looking.
Tony

WZ JUNK

My grandfathers drills.  The one with the yellow cord is a Blue Point and the other is a Montgomery Wards.  They are both about as old or older than I am and they are in good usable condition. The one on the left is a 3/8 and the other is 1/2.  My moms dad, and my dads dad.  I rarely use one of these, but the quality of the tools are amazing.  When I do pick one of them up, I can not help but think of the guy who bought the drill.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I added this to my collection today. This is a pencil tig torch. There are times you can't get where you need to be. :) This may be a problem solver. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Only tool I bought recently was  a new Stanley utility knife.  One of those that you can quik change the blade... I had an older unit. The little rubber piece on the blade ativator broke and fell off. The nub under-neath sucked eggs, not comfy on the finger.

So.  I bought a new one. No rubber on the thumb piece  with this one.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Harbor Freight reciprocating saw... this has (had) a rotating saw head on it.  The yellow release button on it, broke.

So...  I disassembled the side of the saw... about 8 screws.  JB Weld epoxy was mixed up and applied in a few areas. The side was replaced. JB allowed to dry.  A working saw again.
Tony