2021: .. Tool reviews & suggestions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 18, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I needed a basic pop rivet gun.....  Since I could not find mine.  We were close to a Lowes store after breakfast.  Stopped in.  Bought this Arrow brand  unit.

Only used it for about 12 rivets.  Works fine.   Reviews on the Lowes web site for this gun were not stellar.

It was about 24 dollars.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

My Harbor Freight cutting torch took a dump today. It's about 15 years old. I will admit I was badly abusing it at the time, so it's no wonder it was destroyed. I had to dig out me old Airco to finish the job. I don't think it is worth getting repaired so I may just buy a new one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Lowes tool isles recently:

Craftsman brand tools  has very strong showing.  

Many Kobalt cordless power tools on sale.

Lowes admits that Craftman tools are moving in... yet they say that Lowes is committed to the Kobalt tool line. Committed how?  Getting rid of them?  LOL

:T)
Tony

enjenjo

I replaced my torch today. I bought a Victor 400 series. I'll let you know how it works out. Price was higher than harbor freight, but not dramatically.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Victor used to be it. I wonder if they look anything like they did 40 years ago.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

My first torch set was a Victor brand as I recall...  Around 1971
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"Lowes tool isles recently:

Craftsman brand tools  has very strong showing.  

Many Kobalt cordless power tools on sale.

Lowes admits that Craftman tools are moving in... yet they say that Lowes is committed to the Kobalt tool line. Committed how?  Getting rid of them?  LOL

:T)

cros, do you (or anybody else) know if they warranty any craftsman stuff?

I broke a 1/2" ratchet last week....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

58 Yeoman

tom, I went to Sears last fall to get a repair kit for a 1/4" ratchet, he said they were all out. If I had had the ratchet with me, he would've given me one. He told me to try Ace hardware, so I did. He said that they would exchange my ratchet for another, but don't give out repair kits. I would assume that Lowe's would do the same. Worth a try.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"cros, do you (or anybody else) know if they warranty any craftsman stuff?

I broke a 1/2" ratchet last week....

I have no idea on the warranty stuff.  Good question
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought a new drill.  Milwaukee 2803-20 unit..  Fuel model is suppose to have a bit more power and life on the battery.

So far, it works real well.  Chuck seems beefier too. I brought my olde Milwaukee drill home.

Bought this from a place called CPO Outlets with a 15% Presidents Day sale.  CPO is listed as an Authorized Online retailer for Milwaukee tools
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

About 1 week later:  I found my old pop rivet gun. Inside a small Craftsman tool box. The old silver grey tool boxes with lift out red tray.  Owned that box for decades.

i wonder who put the "good" pop rivet gun in there?  :shock:
Tony

58 Yeoman

I know the feeling. I had been looking for a roll of black/yellow "danger tape" for a couple years and figured that I must've pitched it. I found it on the shelf with the cylinder hone stuck through it to hold the stones together. Now I don't need it.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I know the feeling. I had been looking for a roll of black/yellow "danger tape" for a couple years and figured that I must've pitched it. I found it on the shelf with the cylinder hone stuck through it to hold the stones together. Now I don't need it.

Yes...  I knew where my crappy pop rivet gun was, it would not work for what I was trying to do.

Oh well.  Now I have 2 good pop rivet guns.  Multiples of the same tool is something I am trying to down size from as I enter retirement.  :lol:

oh, I tossed the crappy rivet gun in the bin. In 2 weeks , I will think of something I can use it for.
Tony

kb426

I was changing the tailgate from the 76 to the 78. One of the latches had been removed from the 78. I removed one from the 76 which was surprising as rusty as it is. I needed to adjust the remaining latch on the 78. This is flat head 1/4" bolts. I used my impact screw driver to no avail. I remembered that I bought this Eastwood tool right after it was released. I went and pulled it out of the package. It worked. I was a little surprised. :) It was inexpensive and well worth a try.
TEAM SMART

Canuck

Not quite a review.  The Screw Busters work great, made a DIY version years ago after it was posted on another hot rod web site.  Apparently a copy of a Snap On product that was then obsolete.

Started with a old air chisel bit that fit my air chisel (style doesn't matter), trimmed the end and welded a 1/4" "china" socket on the end.  Added a handle going off to the side and about 3-4" long.  insert a 1/4" bit of the desired style.  Set air pressure down to 20-40 lbs .  Give screw a bit of a rattle while applying gently pressure on the side handle.  A bit of penatrant makes it move easier.  Model A door hinge screws installed by Henry and use of a #3 Robertson bit took them all out in minutes.
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/