2021: .. Tool reviews & suggestions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 18, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I was looking at Tecton tools today https://www.tekton.com/  I picked up some 15%off coupons Code BCS098902 I have some, and they are very well made tools at a reasonable price. Look into them if you like. This is in addition to 10% back in rewards, and free shipping
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I was looking at Tecton tools today https://www.tekton.com/  I picked up some 15%off coupons Code BCS098902 I have some, and they are very well made tools at a reasonable price. Look into them if you like. This is in addition to 10% back in rewards, and free shipping

Plenty of basic hand tools...  I looked at the tool box drawer organizing stuff. Always looking.  LOL
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Visit to Lowes this sunday morning...  All the Kobalt cordless power tools on discount.

Some tools have the usual yellow discount tags...  other tools are heavier discount than I have seen before.  The 3/8 impact I bought 1 year ago was on sale at 99.00 , now it is 79.00

Most of the Kobalt hand tools are gone. Not many remain on the discount rack.

1 photo of the tool display this morning.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

I am on an email list for Lowes.. this week I received a sales email as usual.  There was a large section of all the Craftsman tools and storage boxes at Lowes.

If Lowes does not fully drop the Kobalt tool line, I willl be surprised.  :shock:
Tony

enjenjo

I stopped by Menards yesterday, and I see that they have a section of Craftsman tools also.

Crosley.In.AZ

I made an error in a tool decision purchase .. I needed a   cordless ratchet for work. A M12 Milwaukee unit would work with my current battery program.

Since the tool would not be used often and I retire in early 2020 : I bought a used cordless  ratchet from eBay. Seller had good feed back.  Described the tool well. Tool arrived.  As soon as I opened the box:  I smelled the released smoke from the motor.  I sniffed the tool (LOL) .. yep.  Bad motor.  With a fresh M12 battery , the unit ran maybe at half speed.... and it was laboring to do that.  The seller is "really sorry"

So the tool is boxed back up and on its way back to West Virginny. Lesson learned ... again.  New ratchet has been ordered.

I hate it when I know better and still do stupid S (stuff)
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

New Milwaukee M12 cordless ratchet arrived.  Functions as it should.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

yuuup.  I bought another flashlite.  At Home Depot.  Husky brand work light. It was 16.00 dollars plus the guberments part.

The light wand folds up against the main body.  I like that.  

USB charge
3 lite positions: High , Low and the end of the wand lights up.

Magnet on the bottom.

Very similar to the HF light.  Or the HF light is like the Husky?  :lol:
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought a carbide tipped blade for my multi tool noise maker.   Cuts thru my tile grout nicely. 10 dollars plus the VAT

Harbor Freight piece.  Fits the HF tool
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Harbor Freight has a 25% coupon for use on Labor day only.  So many exclusions on it , almost not useable.  LOL
Tony

enjenjo

I had occasion this week to cut a 2" hole in 3/4" steel plate. With the tools I had I could jig it and bore on my lathe,  bore it on the mill, or try cutting it with a hole saw. All three would be time consuming, so I looked into a rotabroach. The price was reasonable, so I ordered one. 10 minutes, and the hole was done, and the rotabroach looked like brand new after finishing.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I had occasion this week to cut a 2" hole in 3/4" steel plate. With the tools I had I could jig it and bore on my lathe,  bore it on the mill, or try cutting it with a hole saw. All three would be time consuming, so I looked into a rotabroach. The price was reasonable, so I ordered one. 10 minutes, and the hole was done, and the rotabroach looked like brand new after finishing.

that is a knarly looking tool
Tony

Arnold

I FINALLY got around to buying a ball joint press kit. I am looking back on  like 49 years of just at times..HORRIFIC!! filthy beating/pounding torching. I simply cannot believe that I never got beat at it :D. SOMEHOW I managed to get those jobs done..and never wrecked anything..even on other people's cars. Is/was there a method I did not use? I very much doubt it.

This was sort of a "treat" for me. With newer vehicles..ya..there just might come a day when I need the press. I doubt it :twisted:.

I did a TON of reading/research. FREQUENTLY coming up were OLD Snap On kits. OLD OTC kits. How newer ones were just nowhere as good..strong..etc.,ETC.,..and lots coming from guys who had..had had both. There are/were really NO old ones to be bought. Very rarely the odd one,

I bought the Astro Pneumatic Master kit..seemed to have very few poor ratings/problems.PERHAPS :twisted:  we shall see.

I still sort of have my eyes peeled on the lookout for an old one.

Arnold

And..a brake drum,rotor puller. Again..SOMEHOW 49 years later..I have managed to get the job done :D Sure..some have been torched/cut off :lol: Took me 5 hrs once to get off and salvage 2 $400 drums :wink:
 ALL of these things have LOTS!! of BAD reviews. I think a little common sense. They aint no magic bullet. They CAN HELP.

I feel so old I don't recall really ANY drums that could not be PRIED off  :lol: at the backing plate. My 98 truck you could use a crow bar in there :lol: Post 98 GM stuff..ya paper thin ROT (GUARANTEED!! To ROT) "dust shields"

I bought the Lang 833..supposed to be able to pull 17" wide. We shall see.

Crosley.In.AZ

We have a new Snap On tool dealer.. again. About 2 months now. Then last week a new guy shows up. The new dealer fellow hired this guy to operate his truck and the truck owner is process to buy another truck for a different Snap On route.

Monday I hand the new guy 2 broken tools.  A  #27 torx 3/8 drive  bit  and 3/8 to 1/4 inch adapter tool.  About 30 minutes later:  wondering where my tools are at , I walk outside.  Truck is gone.  I ask a young co-worker: where did he go? I receive a lengthy explanation.

Maybe next monday I will get my tools back.  Broken or not?
Tony