2021: .. Tool reviews & suggestions

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, February 18, 2016, 10:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

This week on the homemade tools email, someone had adapted a H.F. air over hydraulic cylinder to a tube bender. There are several versions of this available. I took advantage of the 25% coupon and picked up the cylinder these people are using. This is an 8 ton long ram. I will have to make a mounting bracket to hold the cylinder and a rod to attach to the bender. I have one of the original JD Squared tube bender that is about 35 years old. It is slightly different that the newer ones. I won't have time for a while but I'm excited to see if this cylinder can be adapted to several items in the future. I'm going to unpack it and make sure it works in the next few days. It's still H.F. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Bought this Mechanics roll cart from Harbor Freight.  I have this at work.  Decent cart for the 200 dollars out the door cost. The side tray was 30 dollars extra

I am tryig to down size at work.  When I retire:  there will be double of many hand tools when I bring the work tools home.  A fellow at work has said he will buy my Large Craftsman Professional series roll cab and top box.  We have not discussed price yet, so:  that may change.  LOL

I have a yellow large Snap On roll cab at home.  I will keep that and the US General cart.....  

I have another  Craftsman Professional  Top & bottom box setup at home too. That will be sold too.  I have way too many tool boxes.  

I still have my Williams small roll cab I was given when I was 13 yrs olde.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I was laughing a little bit ago. I took the H.F. cylinder out of the box. Not a scratch on it. I used the hand pump and pumped all the way through it's travel. I hook air up to the cylinder. It goes about 3/4 way of travel. I tried it 3 times. I put it back in the box. It's going back for a credit. I'll get a different plan. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"I was laughing a little bit ago. I took the H.F. cylinder out of the box. Not a scratch on it. I used the hand pump and pumped all the way through it's travel. I hook air up to the cylinder. It goes about 3/4 way of travel. I tried it 3 times. I put it back in the box. It's going back for a credit. I'll get a different plan. :)

I likely have the same ram on my tube bender JD2 model 32 unit. With the SWAG Hyd conversion for the model 32.  I needed to add oil to it for the air pump part to activate a full length.  Works well now.  

I have anothe r brand: STARK Tool long ram  here , I bought first for the JD2 bender.  Specs listed were close.  I bought it.  Wrong diameter.  Could not return it since it was a clearance item.  I dont even know if this Stark brank unit functions.  i was whizzed off when it was wrong diameter.  Put it on the shelf..
Tony

kb426

I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks, Tony.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks, Tony.

Photo of the long ram on my tube bender.  Number on the sticker is Item 94562 ..   Likely the number is no  good now since HF uses 2 - 8 different numbers for the same item. LOL
Tony

WZ JUNK

I use nearly the same cylinder on my engine hoist.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

Tony, I have the same ram. I put what oil I had leftover in and it works better. I'll get more oil this week sometime. I'm surprised that this jack isn't full of oil. I have a H.F. cherry picker and 3 other hydraulic tools from them. They all came with enough oil. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Here is a photo of the ram I bought , that was wrong size.  

Stark brand.

Interesting:  Printed on the box is the Item number #65082   , A sticker on the box is Item 56082.

This thing is heavy. I have never put air or the jack handle to it after I learned it was the wrong size for the SWAG hydraulic kit for my tube bender. ..  LOL

Maybe I will find a use for it
Tony

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"I was laughing a little bit ago. I took the H.F. cylinder out of the box. Not a scratch on it. I used the hand pump and pumped all the way through it's travel. I hook air up to the cylinder. It goes about 3/4 way of travel. I tried it 3 times. I put it back in the box. It's going back for a credit. I'll get a different plan. :)

Do you have a part number for that cylinder? It's not coming up on a search without a part number.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

realized today I am using an old Ryobi 7 inch grinder. Way  back when they were blue in color. I dont remeber how long ago that was.  I've owned this grinder a long time.

A 2 speed unit...  high n low
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Crosley"Drill bits with flats on the shank arrived...  these in photo are 1/4 inch diameter.  I ordered 4 sizes, 2 each size.

These do not look like the bottom of the quality food chain.  Test will be the use of these and how they drill or break. LOL

Update on the drill bits... these are working very nice.

Since I drill mostly aluminum alloy with these drill bits, they are not stressed too much. If the bit bites in , the bit does not slip in the chuck like before. I try to be easy on how I feed the bits into the material.
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

At my local Lowes this friday morning. To say that Craftsman tools has been moved in would be an understatement.  Craftsman Red is everywhere. Craftsman  Tool boxes are still  thru out the store

Kobalt hand  tools are all on a discount display.. The Kobalt power tool display is moved further away from the Craftsman.  I think by the end of 2019 , Kobalt Brand tools will be history in the stores
Tony