1950 Plymouth Suburban

Started by 348tripower, January 05, 2014, 03:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

Don Colliau

kb426

What are the seats out of and what are you using for wiring harness and ecu?
TEAM SMART

348tripower

Quote from: "kb426"What are the seats out of and what are you using for wiring harness and ecu?
Seats are out of a Chevy HHR.  The harness is from Hot Wire Auto in Arkansas.
  2009 Charger ECU, forward control module, ABS controller, A580 trans control module and a Charger shifter.
Don Colliau

purplepickup

Quote from: "348tripower"
 Seats are out of a Chevy HHR.  
Having a passenger seat that folds flat, like yours, is really nice in a 2dr wagon.  I'm putting Vibe seats in my Rambler wagon that do the same thing.  The HHR back seat probably folds flat and fits pretty well too, eh?  I never sat in an HHR but I have a vibe and like the seats so I used them.

I wish I had your ambition Don.  The project is looking good. :D
George

moose

The rear seats in my HHR do fold flat.

348tripower

Quote from: "moose"The rear seats in my HHR do fold flat.

What he said :D
Don Colliau

moose

kb426

Don, one of the largest downsides to modern conversions is the wiring and ecu's. I looked at the hemi, ls series, coyote, and quad four engines before making a decision about the powertrain for the 51. I wish there was an economical way to do this. I'm planning on making my harness from the mustang unit. Time will tell if that was a good decision or not. The eec iv harness was inexpensive compared to the newer stuff. It makes me wonder if we're not missing an economic opportunity to not try and serve this market. I like where you're project is headed. That should be a fabulous cruiser when you're finished.
TEAM SMART

348tripower

Earl,
The price of a conversion harness and buying the computers and controllers is enough to scare a lot of people away. I have about $3000.00 in that alone. I looked at this as my last major project so I have dove in pretty deep. I did get the engine and trans pretty cheap so it warranted the extra costs. I am also wanting to learn more about the electronics of these things. I think even a 62 years old that the more I learn the happier I am. :D
Don Colliau

kb426

Don, I am with you on the learning. About 3 projects ago I thought it might be the last one. The projects keep a smile on my face whether they are automotive or other. The creativity and feeling of accomplishment are real important to me.  :D
TEAM SMART

348tripower

Quote from: "kb426"Don, I am with you on the learning. About 3 projects ago I thought it might be the last one. The projects keep a smile on my face whether they are automotive or other. The creativity and feeling of accomplishment are real important to me.  :D

That is a very true statement. I really believe that exercising the brain is just as important as physical exercise. I would like to be the sharpest person in the home :lol:
Don Colliau

348tripower

Here are some more progress pictures. Add a Jeep 1 inch sway bar. FatMan dropped uprights. Console started. Tone ring and sensors on. Clearance in trans cross member for exhaust pipes.

Don Colliau

348tripower

Console extended to dash. We cut the lower portion of the dash off and made it flush all the way across. Put a blister on the top of the firewall for the wiper motor. Mounted all the computers.

Don Colliau

kb426

Thanks for the update. I understand about the computers. :)
TEAM SMART

348tripower

Here is what we found with the floors and the rocker panels. This is the poorest work I have seen to date. This will set me back months and about $2500.00. I have the original add from Ebay stating and I quote,
All new floors and full length rockers. There is no rot or rust in this car anywhere.  The rocker panels were glued in with what looks to be liquid nails. They were also slicing and dicing on the rockers. Last picture is of one of the piles of trash we have cut out. Time to seek advise for a fraud case. One of the reasons for this purchase was the fact I was assured this car was near perfect.

Don Colliau