Glen's new shop build thread

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 16, 2013, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

finally got the power hooked up this week.
90% of the electrical is completed, including 3Phase, AC, Compressor and lights.
The attic fan is awesome, I can turn it on and open windows on the opposite side of the room and feel the cool outside air coming in.  The addition of the ceiling fans makes it breezy.  I had those in the old shop, they are a steel blade industrial 5 speed fan.

The lights are up, I can already tell I went overboard on the amount of  fixtures.  I ordered a case of 40 bulbs for the interior and bought 8 loose bulbs for the carport fixtures. I put the 8 inside for now until the case arrives.  

I was really * when I found the concrete guys formed the seams
I wanted to saw cut the lines and I thought they knew that.  I used
this seam sealer and it flowed very nice.  I plan to clear coat next weekend.

some details too.

Glen

they got the final coat of stucco on the front and north wall today.  Its a synthetic blend stucco that is supposed to resist cracking.  It is also color matched to my sample so I don't have to paint it.  A friend has it on a 10 year old house and it still looks good.

also got the rest of the light bulbs in today via special order:

Crosley.In.AZ

Looks good.  A neighbor has syn blend stucco. his has worked well so far.

Why  special order light bulbs?   Problems with supplies?  LED bulbs?

I looked into LED bulb replacements on my shop.  The price about gave me a medical condition
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

They are T5 bulbs and HD and lowes only stock a few at $10 ea

I ordered a case at $6 each.  There are 48 bulbs including the carport.

enjenjo

It looks great Glen. What is the plan for storage? Probably not mismatched used cabinets like mine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"They are T5 bulbs and HD and lowes only stock a few at $10 ea

I ordered a case at $6 each.  There are 48 bulbs including the carport.

I'm thinking , you may mean T5 HO lights , not HD ?

My shop has the T12 single pin design fixture. The gubmint has forced the phase out of these T12 bulbs via legislation. I will need to convert or replace whole fixture if I remain at this house. Not sure how long the bulbs & parts will  remain available
Tony

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"

No, I was implying that Home Depot and lowes do not stock the T5 bulbs in large quantity.  The stock one small box only.  I was able to save a lot of money ordering 40 at a time but I needed 44 to complete the shop and carport.

In regards to cabinets, there are some companies that custom build garage cabinets and the price is unbeatable.  They make them with a 6 ft. base cabinet and then a 4 ft. additional cabinet on top.  They are sweet.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"
Quote from: "Crosley"

No, I was implying that Home Depot and lowes do not stock the T5 bulbs in large quantity.  The stock one small box only.  I was able to save a lot of money ordering 40 at a time but I needed 44 to complete the shop and carport.

In regards to cabinets, there are some companies that custom build garage cabinets and the price is unbeatable.  They make them with a 6 ft. base cabinet and then a 4 ft. additional cabinet on top.  They are sweet.

OK...  I did not think u meant Harley when you posted HD .  My bad.

Agreed, couple companies local build some dang good looking cabinets for garage use.  They look full custom , yet are less expensive
Tony

Glen

spent today sealing the floor and after it was dry I put the baseboard molding on.  I used this on the last shop and I like it, Most of my equipment/tables are on casters and are steel. if you bump the molding it doesn't get cut up like wood.

The heavy equipment will require a fork lift so I will wait a week before I bring it in.

bucketmouth

Glenn that studio apartment looks so good,so good in fact I have to ask....are you really putting cars in there :lol:
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "bucketmouth"Glenn that studio apartment looks so good,so good in fact I have to ask....are you really putting cars in there :lol:

That's MY room on the left  8) ....Remember ..I asked FIRST  :lol:  :lol:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Glen

now that everything is almost finished I have family coming out for two separate visits from Oklahoma.  Where were they last week?

This turned out pretty cool.  The beams and posts are sealed in a black transparent stain then a clear polyurethane over the top:

and got my trailer back in a covered spot.

Glen

I got tired of everyone asking if I was going to put a lift in so I did.  Never understood the fascination with having one, but its growing on me.

wvcab

Quote from: "Glen"I got tired of everyone asking if I was going to put a lift in so I did.  Never understood the fascination with having one, but its growing on me.

if you decide you don't like it or want it, i will take it :lol:

bucketmouth

Oh two poster bed yeah I get the theme ya going for :lol:
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.