Glen's new shop build thread

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 16, 2013, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

We will post up info as Glen's shop is built

I re-posted some of Glens earlier posts and photos here...  hope this is OK with him
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Glen's shop:

came home to a footer today.  They return tomorrow for rebar and cleanup.  Does anyone want a separate build thread?  I plan to take lots of pics.

Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Glens Shop:

this is really moving fast.  They return tomorrow to pour the driveway pad and the carport pad on the south end by the wall.

Tony

Looking good! It always amazes me when I see a large slab of concrete like that basically just poured on top of the ground in the warmer climates......A building that size here would require frost footings at least 48" below grade....and....if you didn't, it would probably blow apart the first Winter.Being in the business,I'll be interested to follow the progress and look forward to the updates.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Glen

Thanks Tony:

Trusses went up this morning and some sheathing.  Tomorrow we finish up the sheathing and put up doors and windows.

I tried to get a picture with a person in it, otherwise its hard to tell size.

Bruce Dorsi

Maybe I missed this:

What is the size of the building, Glen?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Glen

The pad is 1500 sq ft.  The enclosed is 1200.  30x50x12.

Crosley.In.AZ

looks good.  I see Laura is checking on stuff.  Always good to have a woman that helps, not gripe.
Tony

Glen

I should have waited until today.....these pictures paint a better picture.

Glen.....The building is looking great! I noticed the roof sheathing is OSB except for the couple of feet along the eaves and up the rake.Is this a common practice in your area? I am pretty "Old School" I still use 5/8" 5-ply fir plywood on all of our roofs though it's getting out of sight price wise. I suspect the basic lack of moisture in your area makes the OSB a viable option.What will you use for roof covering?
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Glen

Ya, the OSB is normal for the roof, they just switch to a nicer plywood on the ends so the eaves looks nice.  asphalt shingles for the roof, I would like to have flat tile, but then it wouldn't match the house.

The exterior will be sand coat finish stucco.  Believe it or not, stucco construction does not require the sheathing.  Some builders just put up the Styrofoam as their base.  I just couldn't do that.

The open area on the gables requires black fire resistant chipboard....it can not be wood.  If you look at the interior walls you can also spot the firebreaks set in the studs at about 8 foot.  that is required on a wall taller than 10 ft.

we passed strap and shear inspection today.  Doors, windows, and the facia trim goes up tomorrow, roofers on Wednesday.

Crosley.In.AZ

Yuuuuuup, make sure the roof material is on the roof for a few weeks to settle the building down with weight. Before inside sheeting and stucco ,
Tony

papastoyss

I noticed the walls are nice & tall , ya going to put in a lift?I did in mine, best $ I spent.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Glen

Quote from: "papastoyss"I noticed the walls are nice & tall , ya going to put in a lift?I did in mine, best $ I spent.

For the first time I think I might buy a lift.....never had one and never wanted to take up the space.  Now I think I have enough space to put one in.

Windows and doors went in today....they look great.  Roofers tomorrow morning.

papastoyss

Quote from: "Glen"
Quote from: "papastoyss"I noticed the walls are nice & tall , ya going to put in a lift?I did in mine, best $ I spent.

For the first time I think I might buy a lift.....never had one and never wanted to take up the space.  Now I think I have enough space to put one in.

Windows and doors went in today....they look great.  Roofers tomorrow morning.
I bought mine from Complete Hydraulics in Indiana, 10,000 lb clear floor twin post.I'm sure its  imported but is well made,  I've had a Chevy Suburban on it, no problems.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!