Glen's new shop build thread

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 16, 2013, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

woohoo.....Shingles, doors and windows.  The 8 ft. doors are awesome.  The dog looks small, he is 80 lbs.

wayne petty

when they spray on the stucco coat.. i take it that you are going to shovel back the dirt from the edges of the foundation.. so the mud coat seals to the concrete foundation..

making it really water tight..

on the inner walls... are you using something perhaps water proof for the first run around the shop.. so hose downs don't ruin the walls..

using something caulking dispensed adhesive along the sill plate edge to prevent water from wicking up behind the lowest panel.. or when you apply the epoxy floor coating.. you are planning on coving it  a foot up the walls.. to allow wash downs.. or spills..

and i take it that you will also take photos of the bare walls.. print them.. then measure them out from the widow openings.. writing that down on the image.. so you know exactly where the studs are.. or marking on the floor.. even with squares of duct tape..

years ago.. i was down near seal beach.. actually the sunset beach area where peoples garages flood several times a year during super high tides.. i saw a home owner ripping out almost new drywall.. i said.. why not get some shotcrete sprayed in between the bare studs for the first few feet.. leaving it to cover the stud faces.   smooth it off .. then go back with big ceramic tiles..  make it like the edge of a swimming pool..  those are not damaged by flood waters.. just hose it out after the flood..

there is also a way to use sodium silicate to completely water and oil proof the concrete .. that's what was used on gas station island surfaces. so spills did not soak in..  made the floors glossy but still did not reduce traction..

i would think that the people where the driveways get ice and snow might try that to see if the ice is removed easier..

Glen

Thank for the tips.

I have been taking a lot of photos with dimensions noted in the pics or at least some type of reference.

I keep staring at the walls thinking of things I want to do before drywall goes up.  Things like reinforcing for the tv mount etc.

The electrical is about 75% ruffed in.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"Thank for the tips.

I have been taking a lot of photos with dimensions noted in the pics or at least some type of reference.

I keep staring at the walls thinking of things I want to do before drywall goes up.  Things like reinforcing for the tv mount etc.

The electrical is about 75% ruffed in.

yes.  braces , like behind larger 220 lectric boxes or throw switch boxes.  I goof'd on mine,  had to go back and correct it.

What is power amp rating you will work with in shop?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

Quote from: Crosley
Quote from: "Glen"What is power amp rating you will work with in shop?

100 amp service.  

Explain blocking the outlets?  did you just nail in a wood support behind the box to help support it?

AC guys will be here tomorrow for installation.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"

100 amp service.  

Explain blocking the outlets?  did you just nail in a wood support behind the box to help support it?

AC guys will be here tomorrow for installation.

yes, any bracing behind or around  box.  So , when you push or pull the large 220 volt  plug the box moves very little
Tony

Glen

Ya, and I also told the electrician which outlets to buy....and which direction they go on the wall.....experience speaking :roll:

Godzirra is in my attic!  Ac install completed today, just needs the electrical connection completed after stucco.  I did not know it but code requires dual lights and a switch in the attic?

A Trane unit, it is huge, I poured a 3x3 pad and had to go back and pour a new 4x4 pad.  I slid the 3x3 pad over and will use it for my compressor instead.

We had an attic fan growing up as a kid and I definitely wanted one for this shop.  Having the ability to come home from work, open the windows and evacuate the warmer air via this fan will be great.

Crosley.In.AZ

Attic:  yes , lights and service outlet plug.  

make sure 110v outlets on exterior of building.  Near A/C unit when service needed.  

Couple 110v outlets on carport , plus lights under carport!

220 volt outlet close to exterior door for outside work
Tony

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"Attic:  yes , lights and service outlet plug.  

make sure 110v outlets on exterior of building.  Near A/C unit when service needed.  

Couple 110v outlets on carport , plus lights under carport!

220 volt outlet close to exterior door for outside work

Yes lights under carport and a 110 outlet to plug in the trailer or to do dirty work.  a 240 plug by the door in case I want to might weld a gate outside.  Got the plug in the ceiling for the drop cord.  One on the wall for the TV and one for the garage door opener.  3 phase in the ceiling.  And I stuck a dummy copper tube thru the wall for the compressor.  Outside lights on timers and dimmers.  Poked a hole for sprinkler wiring too.

Crosley.In.AZ

Ask sheet rock people about expansion joints. Your ceiling and walls are large enough for expansion joints. My shop ceiling is all cracked up. Splits along seams between sheets.

My sheet rock guy suggested them. I said : do it.... They did not
Tony

1FATGMC

Glen you are going to be very happy with the shop.

One suggestion is put multiple outlets on both sides of the doors.  I have 4 outlets there and wish I would of put in 8.  Most of the wall ones get covered up sooner or later and are hard to get to.  Divide the ones at the door between a couple circuits in case friends are helping and running tools the same time as you.

I also put in 220 for mill/mill drill and lathe and the lift.  Have the welding ones also by the door so they don't get covered up.  I have 3 for the welders around the shop and two long 220 extension cords so the whole shop is covered for welding.

I also have outlets on the front side of my work bench and those are really handy.

Think the same with air.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the projects that come out of the shop.  If the past ones are any indication there will be some great cars built there,

Sum

kb426

I think we might need to move one of my projects in just to check to see how everything is going to work. :lol:
It all looks great to me. My recent exp. with ac units is that they are all larger and the fan runs slower and makes way less noise. I replaced a bunch of them in the last 2 years. All the new ones are larger than the older ones.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

WOW .... :shock:    A building that does not have 16" of "Pink" in the attic....Very Unique .... 8)

Looks good Glen .. You place to rent out space  :?:  :?:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Glen

The insulation will go in next week.  I hope to get framing and electrical inspection on Monday.  My electrician needs to wrap up my 3 phase.

The foam went up today for stucco.  You can tell the wife unit has been priming too.

FYI...the labeled foam below has to be flame resistant/proof or whatever that is why its different.

a nice touch the workers put pads under their scaffolding to protect the concrete.

How is this for a timeline:

7.03 Permit submitted      
7.18 permit rcvd      
7.24 broke ground      
7.30 footer inspection       
7.31 poured main shop floor      
8.01 poured remaining pads.      
08.06 truss delivery      
08.08 lumber delivered      
8.10 framing starts walls go up      
8.18 sheathing completed      
8.19 strap and shear inspect      
8.20 doors and windows      
8.21 roofing goes on      
8.25 electrical ruff in      
8.27 ac installation      
8.29 Stucco foam and lath

Glen

Almost forgot the most important thing.  I added a coax cable today for the TV.  I like to put those items up high on the wall so there is a power outlet and coax cable next to the TV, I don't want cords running down the wall.

Almost finished painting the eaves and fascia.

drywall was dropped in preparation of install tomorrow morning.