Not Me

Started by mopar2dr, September 27, 2010, 07:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar2dr

Went to a traditional hot rod event Sunday. I was dinged for my "newer" chrome wheels, which aren't very new, and sent to the display area. That was OK with me as that parked me about where I wanted to be anyway. The car must appear to have only equipment available before 1965. There were some cars on display that were well engineered and looked to be great old school hot rods. My problem was with the ones that I wouldn't even drive out in the pasture. Some of the front suspensions looked like they would fold up under the car the first time you hit a major pot hole. It was a nice laid back event with great live entertainment, I would go again. Of course I would have to stick on those old skinny 15" wheels with spring clips showing, as I sold the hubcaps.
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

phat rat

Quote from: "mopar2dr"Went to a traditional hot rod event Sunday. I was dinged for my "newer" chrome wheels, which aren't very new, and sent to the display area. That was OK with me as that parked me about where I wanted to be anyway. The car must appear to have only equipment available before 1965. There were some cars on display that were well engineered and looked to be great old school hot rods. My problem was with the ones that I wouldn't even drive out in the pasture. Some of the front suspensions looked like they would fold up under the car the first time you hit a major pot hole. It was a nice laid back event with great live entertainment, I would go again. Of course I would have to stick on those old skinny 15" wheels with spring clips showing, as I sold the hubcaps.

Was that the one at Hickory Corners?
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Ohio Blue Tip

Sounds like Hickory Corners, we went there and they would not let my 34 in because the 5 spoke wheels looked to new.
My friend had a bone stock looking Chevy  64 SS and he had California flipper caps on it and they said they were repops and no go.  Strange folks?  We had fun anyway.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

taxpyer

Some years ago I had a 34 chev coupe, primered, skinny wheels/tires, just starting out with the car. :D  I went to this so called "family affair" event and I was the one asked to go to the back of the line! :cry:  Guess it's all part of the evolution of the hobby. :wink:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

phat rat

It sounds like they wouldn't have let my car in. So I'm glad I didn't waste my time or money going down there then.

unklian

They sound like a historical re-enactment event.

Or a Star Wars convention.

mopar2dr

It was the one at Hickory Corners. The three inspectors who decided if you were allowed in, looked like they were in diapers when Bill Clinton took office, yep, that young. I also felt out of place by not wearing enough black clothing. I was a kid in the 50's and a teenager in 60's and don't remember anyone, except the Hoods dressed kinda like that. Most car guys or as my conservative neighbors called me "that * hotrodder", were usually wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt. The color of the shirt didn't matter much as it some how always got oil or grease stains on it anyway. I suppose time has caught up to me and now I'm just an old stick in the mud hotrodder. It's about time to take the Mustang GT out and harass the rat rodders, if I can find one out there.
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

Charlie Chops 1940

I went to the show and sold in the swap meet. Did a little business and had a pretty good time.

I'm still trying to keep a pretty open mind to the new fad of "traditional" hot rods. There were a few there that I would put in that category, but a lot that I wouldn't bother with.

I have a philosphical problem with people young enough to be my grandkids - who weren't a gleam in their daddy's eye in the 80's, much less the 50's, telling me what is traditional. What they are really trying to do is capture a snapshot of some elusive period when hot rods were hot rods. What they have done and are doing is just ticking off the group they are trying to emulate. That said, I'm really trying to hear them and see what they have to offer. Never say never and always isn't.

Traditional meets goth and halloween.....

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

I also try to keep an open mind. There was a car show connected with the Stern Wheel boat races here a couple of weeks ago. There were three so called Rat Rods sitting together in one place. They were all owned by the same person and were all for sale. Their price all reflected Barrett Jackson value and they all had old bodies mostly truck cabs. They all were channeled (lack of service-able floor)and had old style wheels and tires on them. They also all sat on S10 frames. Now I won't "Bad Mouth" S10 frames because there is one under the Jeepster. This owner apparently didn't care as much for tradition as he did trying to supply a market for people that think they must be popular because they're on the cover of Hot Rod magazine at the news stand. Back when I started "Nail Head" Buick engines were new, not traditional.If someone wants to tell me what to build with they can give it to me. GPster

moose

I was also "relegated" to the sperial interest section. Reason given My dark steel wheels with thin rings and caps had slots similar to a rally wheel so that made my 36 too new......They still made me feel welcome.

I agree with Charlie. They are trying to create their imagined view of what is was like "IN the Day". Not totally successfully.

Oh well it is their party

Had a good time and caught up with several friends. Weather could have been better but the museum was fun going thru.

Tim

phat rat

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I won't bother considering it next year. For whatever reason there weren't guys/gals around me growing up that were inked up either. Nor all dressed in black with the big black shoes. Jeans, T shirts and possibly engineer boots

Carnut

heh, heh, I've always had problems with runs/shows that were too structured.

Several years ago i went to a nearby downtown street show that I had attended a few times and enjoyed just driving in and finding a spot and parking.

One year things were changed a bit and the officials moved it to different location and were putting a lot of effort into getting everyone parked where they wanted them to be parked. After I drove in with my 61 Chrysler and was parked where they wanted me. I sat for a few minutes and decided I didn't like where I was parked and just started up and left,

That was 10yrs or so ago and I've never been back.

Course the same thing happened to me several years ago at Louisville when the gate guard wouldn't let me in on my own mobility scooter. I just turned around and went home and have never been back to Louisville.

My loss I guess but that's just me. I don't fit in anywhere.

OldSub

I've dropped the HAMB from my daily reading list mostly because I'm tired of being told how to build my hot rod.

I'm only 53 so I don't remember much of the 50's but I do remember the 60's and so much of what is today considered traditional isn't part of what I remember.

The people defining traditional are sacrificing creativity and innovation to some imagined picture of a better day and time.  And those that don't conform aren't made to feel welcome.

And if the membership count on the HAMB is any indication a lot of people are following their lead.

Funny thing is I enjoy those shows like Billetproof more than the spit and polish shows.  I just have to be careful what I drive to them.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

chimp koose

Old sub, it seems like the retro,rat rod or whatever the term ,phase ,is coming full circle. What started out as a way of being different ,forget the paint ,see what Ive built, type of "fun with what you have "is growing into another 'faction' of the car world. People trying to outdo oneanother instead of just enjoying the hobby .I think all of us on this board  truly appreciate  good craftsmanship  and appreciate the ability levels of the other RRT members. Some build ,others buy ,but all of us appreciate what each member can do with what they have.I marvel at the knowledge and abilities some members posess and enjoy giving a helpful bit of advice when I am able.I think that trends in any car hobby quickly turn into marketing opportunities for publishers looking to sell more advertizing.Creating the 'must haves' through media hype, that the gotta out-do-ya crowd seem to lap up.Some of us just sit back and enjoy what we have,do what we can,and enjoy the company(even if only through this board)of others who think and do the same.

taxpyer

You hit the nail on the head bud 8)

Quote from: "chimp koose"Old sub, it seems like the retro,rat rod or whatever the term ,phase ,is coming full circle. What started out as a way of being different ,forget the paint ,see what Ive built, type of "fun with what you have "is growing into another 'faction' of the car world. People trying to outdo oneanother instead of just enjoying the hobby .I think all of us on this board  truly appreciate  good craftsmanship  and appreciate the ability levels of the other RRT members. Some build ,others buy ,but all of us appreciate what each member can do with what they have.I marvel at the knowledge and abilities some members posess and enjoy giving a helpful bit of advice when I am able.I think that trends in any car hobby quickly turn into marketing opportunities for publishers looking to sell more advertizing.Creating the 'must haves' through media hype, that the gotta out-do-ya crowd seem to lap up.Some of us just sit back and enjoy what we have,do what we can,and enjoy the company(even if only through this board)of others who think and do the same.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later