Not Me

Started by mopar2dr, September 27, 2010, 07:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzford

The thought process these kids have annoys me to no end. I swear, they are like a bunch of antiquers. "Oh, that's not period correct". I've been a rodder long before many of these kids were even born. Hotrodding is about improving the performance and looks of a car. I gotta laugh when these guys invest a bunch of money in a flathead that wouldn't outrun a Toyota. Disc brakes and modern tire technology are strictly avoided. Build what you want, don't tell me what I should build.

OldSub

Quote from: "zzford"Build what you want, don't tell me what I should build.
Exactly!

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

unklian

Quote from: "zzford"
Disc brakes and modern tire technology are strictly avoided.

Darwin was wrong.
  :roll:   :wink:

I always thought Technology evolved, because some
of the old stuff wasn't up to the task, way back then.
People found, and made, a better way.

unklian

Quote from: "moose"I was also "relegated" to the special interest section.

The Fashion Police deemed you Unworthy.

:wink:

junkyardjeff

The traditionalists are getting just as bad as the restorers in the AACA,I am glad I dont have cars that could be shown in either one of those type shows.

mopar2dr

Growing up on a farm, and having limited cash to spend on my ride, I wasn't above using what was available to keep my car going. But, to use barnyard cast-offs by choice, no. Can't remember anyone using those old cast iron seats in their ride. A temporary crate might be used to test your new road sign floorboard, before it got tarred into place. Then the seat went back in, girls were pretty fussy about where they sat. Let's admit it, girls were the main reason we fixed up our rides. Souped up engines were for other use that may have bordered on illegal activities. Guilty.
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

Danimal

I typically only go to the AD Truckers Social Group on the HAMB. Too much drama elsewhere.

S10 frames? Got 4.
Running what I got. Yep.
Upgrading parts as I go along. Certainly.
Learning what I can from the guys here. Absolutely.
Dressed in black pinned jeans with a DA, tats, leather, and no clue. Nope.

I've got a Vortec and a Hemi, too.

41woodie

Quote from: "unklian"They sound like a historical re-enactment event.

Or a Star Wars convention.

Pretty funny.....It's their event so they can do what they want, but it sounds like some folks need to relax and enjoy themselves.

moose

Quote from: "Danimal"and no clue. Nope.

\Some may question that part....... :wink:

Danimal

Quote from: "moose"
Quote from: "Danimal"and no clue. Nope.

\Some may question that part....... :wink:

Don't bring my wife into this!!

Boyd Who

I've been into "traditional" rods for long before they became trendy. And by traditional I don't mean tractor grills, spiderwebs, barbed wire, bird-poop welds, etc. I mean stuff that was built in the pre-billet days, say late 70's and older. I really prefer the look of early 60's and older. I plan to "update" my Essex to look like an early 60's ride.

I can be quite narrow-minded about my likes, too. Is rodding about upgrading technology and safety? Of course it is! However, it seems like it's also about the latest whizzy thing that the manufacturers and magazines push on people. Smoothed out billet-laden rides do nothing for me. I can appreciate the work that went into them, but I tend to walk past them with nary a glance at a show. There's a reason for my screen name.  :wink:

Same thing when I see ANY pre-1980 vehicle with large-diameter wheels. Sorry folks...an early car/truck with 18's or 20's (and bigger) and O-ring tires looks ridiculous.

Just my not-so-humble opinion, and I'm sure I'll catch alot of flack for it.  :P

phat rat

Quote from: "Boyd Who"
Same thing when I see ANY pre-1980 vehicle with large-diameter wheels. Sorry folks...an early car/truck with 18's or 20's (and bigger) and O-ring tires looks ridiculous.  :P

I couldn't agree more
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Boyd Who

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "Boyd Who"
Same thing when I see ANY pre-1980 vehicle with large-diameter wheels. Sorry folks...an early car/truck with 18's or 20's (and bigger) and O-ring tires looks ridiculous.  :P

I couldn't agree more

Thank you!! Good to know I have someone in my corner.  :D

OldSub

Quote from: "Boyd Who"I'm sure I'll catch alot of flack for it.  :P
Not from me.

Its my car or truck and I'll build it the way I want within the limits of my time, money and skill.  When I want suggestions I ask for them.  What I don't need is dogma on the one true way to build a hot rod.

When I go to a car show I look at the cars and trucks that interest me.  I walk right past the others.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Crosley.In.AZ

About 17 inch diameter wheels with a proper tire side wall is all I can take on old cars ... and that combo does not fit  or loook good on some cars ,

The bird poop welds I see guys putting on cars for the "old  back yard look"...  I hate to point out that there were (are) some dang good welders decades ago with the ol  stick welding buzz boxes
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)