What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Quote from: "enjenjo"I got the second case cleaned, blasted, and deburred, installed the new bearings, no problem. I started assembly.

I broke my T50 Torx bit, again, removing the reverse pivot bolt, so I went to the parts store to get another one. He told me this one had a lifetime warrantee. "So". I asked, "if I bring it back you'll replace it?" "No", he told me, " if you bring it back, we'll kill you". I bought it any way

I bought a whl. brng. recently and it had a lifetime warranty.
  For THAT bearing.. :?: Ya when that one quits they will give you another one. ONE. They explained that the "lifetime warranty" ONLY applied to the "initial" part.

There is NO warranty on the 2nd bearing.

I put the bearing in and it was noisy just as soon as I drove it :evil:

I seriously beat with a large sledgehammer and one of those huge OTC hub pullers..and was beat..then used the torch and was beat..at one point I took a break for a smoke and came back and started looking for snap rings  :lol: I am thinking of having to change the whole knee now :shock:   I finally got it off..this hub assembly..ya ya PB..penetrating..I often wipe stuff off with a rag with lacquer thinner anyway..
  So I phoned them..

I get 1 bearing then the next one I have to buy with another lifetime warranty. 8)

idrivejunk

Quote from: "enjenjo"Nice truck. I remember some pictures you posted last year. How many zeros was there in that bill. :D

Probably two...

Too dang many!

Seriously- Under the heading of none of my business I'm gonna say it was under 200K if I recall. Saving the gennie steel cost dearly. I think the hood and one or two fenders were for a car, and all of them were steel "leaf", almost gone. I should add in my tendonitis bill and the vacation I never took, haha.

FWIW, The salvage Coyote engine and trans really is a value-conscious choice for the no carbs and big numbers crowd. Blower kit was bling candy, but fitting the 32V mill to the skinny 41 was a big money bite too. Those vintage-looking tags are legal legit and cost over a grand for the pair, I do remember that. Custom areas that I did were probably high because I'm no race horse!
Matt

kb426

I'm back from Salina. Spending the day being "Mr. Bondo" on the 51. Not fun but necessary.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I am doing a clutch on my 81 Honda accord . Bought it last fall and have just started working on it .Clutch had a lot of pedal before it would release ,even when adjusted it didn't feel right .Pulled the old clutch off and it looked to be near new . I end up finding .140" end play on the crank! I will have to drop the pan now as it appears someone forgot to install the thrust washers in this engine . Honda has a thrust washer setup that installs in the main cap but is not part of a bearing shell . I think this car was someone's first 'fixer upper' . I also think the crank was being held fore and aft by the tension on the front V belt !!! Must be a new ricer speed secret !

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "chimp koose"I am doing a clutch on my 81 Honda accord . Bought it last fall and have just started working on it .Clutch had a lot of pedal before it would release ,even when adjusted it didn't feel right .Pulled the old clutch off and it looked to be near new . I end up finding .140" end play on the crank! I will have to drop the pan now as it appears someone forgot to install the thrust washers in this engine . Honda has a thrust washer setup that installs in the main cap but is not part of a bearing shell . I think this car was someone's first 'fixer upper' . I also think the crank was being held fore and aft by the tension on the front V belt !!! Must be a new ricer speed secret !

I keep telling people that this "sideways engine" thing ain't gonna work ... :roll:  :roll:
  Do they listen     :?:  :?:  :?:          NOOOOOOOO....  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

Quote from: "chimp koose"I am doing a clutch on my 81 Honda accord . Bought it last fall and have just started working on it .Clutch had a lot of pedal before it would release ,even when adjusted it didn't feel right .Pulled the old clutch off and it looked to be near new . I end up finding .140" end play on the crank! I will have to drop the pan now as it appears someone forgot to install the thrust washers in this engine . Honda has a thrust washer setup that installs in the main cap but is not part of a bearing shell . I think this car was someone's first 'fixer upper' . I also think the crank was being held fore and aft by the tension on the front V belt !!! Must be a new ricer speed secret !

It's been so long since I have seen an 81 Accord, I don't even remember what they look like.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

We got it in the fall partly because we drove one for 10 years when we were first married . Bought it sight unseen with the idea of using it around town as they get great fuel economy (51 mpg hwy on our last one ) and the insurance is about $11/mo . I have had no time to work on it and it has issues , silly purchase but I still like the car.It would be a scream with an E tech  drive train as it is about 700lbs lighter than any donor car .

58 Yeoman

I bought two used animal traps last weekend, and they needed some adjustments and stronger handles put on.  I also had to do some 'adjusting' on my new trap.  The last coon I caught ripped a large hole right in the side/corner of the trap. I had an older trap that didn't work anymore, so I took the end off it and put it on the new one.  We've got some mean ones here. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I bought two used animal traps last weekend, and they needed some adjustments and stronger handles put on.  I also had to do some 'adjusting' on my new trap.  The last coon I caught ripped a large hole right in the side/corner of the trap. I had an older trap that didn't work anymore, so I took the end off it and put it on the new one.  We've got some mean ones here. :shock:

I had one this spring that tore a new Harbor freight trap to pieces. Took me a couple hours to get it back together. The release door was held with diaper pin type clips that were totally mangled. I replaced them with spring clips and doubled them up. A couple days later I caught a coon, but I don't think it was the one that tore up the trap, too small.

I have been fighting ground hogs all summer. When I see them, I don't have the gun, and when I have the gun I don't see them.

Beck

My problem is skunks. A live trap isn't such a great thing with them.

If I catch them will you come get the trap?

I haven't figured out any method that makes them dead without making a stink. I wish they were extinct.

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Beck"My problem is skunks. A live trap isn't such a great thing with them.

If I catch them will you come get the trap?

I haven't figured out any method that makes them dead without making a stink. I wish they were extinct.

They make special traps for them; they're smaller so they can't raise their butts to spray.  Trouble is, you still have them to get rid of.  I shot a skunk once, and he ran off and hid in the brush, then died.  Rotting animal was bad enough, but the skunk smell too was too much.  I finally found the carcass under some bushes, and covered it up with dirt.  A week or so later, I could smell it again.  Somthing had uncovered it, so I buried it again.

You could always tie a rope to the trap and drag it down the road, and throw it off the Tallahachie bridge. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I bought two used animal traps last weekend, and they needed some adjustments and stronger handles put on.  I also had to do some 'adjusting' on my new trap.  The last coon I caught ripped a large hole right in the side/corner of the trap. I had an older trap that didn't work anymore, so I took the end off it and put it on the new one.  We've got some mean ones here. :shock:

I had one this spring that tore a new Harbor freight trap to pieces. Took me a couple hours to get it back together. The release door was held with diaper pin type clips that were totally mangled. I replaced them with spring clips and doubled them up. A couple days later I caught a coon, but I don't think it was the one that tore up the trap, too small.

I have been fighting ground hogs all summer. When I see them, I don't have the gun, and when I have the gun I don't see them.

George told me a trick that was new to me.  He uses the cheap Harbor Freight driveway alert device.  You put it in position where they are causing the problem.  When you hear the alarm, grab your gun, and take care of them.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

purplepickup

I had that problem too until I put a HF driveway alert sender next to the hole so when he comes out the receiver goes off in the house or garage and I have time to get the gun. They usually just mosey around if they think they are alone.

Neighbors get a kick out of watching me sneak around with my rifle trying to get a clear shot.
George

enjenjo

Quote from: "purplepickup"
I had that problem too until I put a HF driveway alert sender next to the hole so when he comes out the receiver goes off in the house or garage and I have time to get the gun. They usually just mosey around if they think they are alone.

Neighbors get a kick out of watching me sneak around with my rifle trying to get a clear shot.

I'll have to get one of them.

enjenjo

I bought a cheap rotary table for my Milling machine on Ebay, it came today. I opened it up, and put it together, quality is not the greatest, but it should do what I need done. Not a lot of backlash in it, that's good, and it came with three divider discs. The face and the back are not quite parallel, but I can shim that. I am making a transmission adapter.