What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "jaybee"
Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "jaybee"I sold my house today! The price is right where I wanted it to be. Now...where am I going to live next?

I hear Florida is nice in a few areas

QuoteWell, since I've been working in Kansas City for the past 10 1/2 months that seems to suggest itself as a good choice.   :P

Better take a  closer look...   I seem to remember that it snows there ...Isn't that a reason to remove it from the "list" ??

Bob ....
   :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

GPster

I'm still waiting for my ship to come in but the slow boat from China hasn't delivered my conductivity glue to repair the printed circuit board for my scared instrument panel. Trying to get my mind set off one problem at a time I referred to my plan of needing to get the engine running for enthusiasm. I remembered that I wanted to get a drive shaft for it so I could keep the tail housing from leaking because the "Park less" transmission would probably spin the drive shaft and the rear end (which will be up on jack stands). The floor braces that I had installed to hold things together until I had figured out where to build the tunnel sat squarely between the transmission tail shaft and the yoke on the rear end. So I spent yesterday afternoon modifying the brace for the tunnel. Now I can get a measurement for the length of the drive shaft. It has been years since I saw the drive shaft from the donor S15 but when I dug it out yesterday I found out that it was one with an enlarged tube in the center. The engine has been set to the rear of this chassis 7 1/4" and the rear end has been moved forward 4" and I don't think there is enough length it the small tube ends of this drive shaft to take the shortening. When all this snow melts off it will be too muddy to be looking in junkyards for candidates. My friends run a machine shop and as a side they will make drive shafts for 4X4s and pulling tractors and they have cut drive shafts in the middle before. Some way this will move on.  GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

I'm picking away at small jobs on the'40 Chevy convertible. It's been off the road for about 4 years while I replace the rocker panel, did some floor work and rebuilt 6 body mounts between the rear door jams and the rear frame kick up. Also re-skinned the passenger bottom inside and out. Just finished a new battery box for an Odyssey gel battery under the hood on the passenger side. A full size battery was always tight in that space.

Rebuilt a fuel regulator yesterday and today I put more peel and stick sound deadener on the front floor. I'm hoping for a decent day soon to open up the shop to pour some fresh gas in the tank and fire it up, It got a new carb and delivery lines this winter.

Since I traded off the track roadster for the '40 Ford coupe the convert was stalled until I got busy on it again this winter. I'm anxious to get it on the road again since this month is the beginning of the 37th year of ownership.

I kinda miss it.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"I'm still waiting for my ship to come in but the slow boat from China hasn't delivered my conductivity glue to repair the printed circuit board for my scared instrument panel. Trying to get my mind set off one problem at a time I referred to my plan of needing to get the engine running for enthusiasm. I remembered that I wanted to get a drive shaft for it so I could keep the tail housing from leaking because the "Park less" transmission would probably spin the drive shaft and the rear end (which will be up on jack stands). The floor braces that I had installed to hold things together until I had figured out where to build the tunnel sat squarely between the transmission tail shaft and the yoke on the rear end. So I spent yesterday afternoon modifying the brace for the tunnel. Now I can get a measurement for the length of the drive shaft. It has been years since I saw the drive shaft from the donor S15 but when I dug it out yesterday I found out that it was one with an enlarged tube in the center. The engine has been set to the rear of this chassis 7 1/4" and the rear end has been moved forward 4" and I don't think there is enough length it the small tube ends of this drive shaft to take the shortening. When all this snow melts off it will be too muddy to be looking in junkyards for candidates. My friends run a machine shop and as a side they will make drive shafts for 4X4s and pulling tractors and they have cut drive shafts in the middle before. Some way this will move on.  GPster

Let me know how long the shaft has to be, and I'll see if I have one.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

finally got all the brake stuff done on the Olds.  Emergency brake is working, and I found and fixed a small seepage on the rear calipers.  Next, is temporaryly mount the wiper motor so I can add some support to the steering mount.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

chimp koose

I have been without a computer at home for a week. No progress to report anyhow as I have been having grief getting a pair of lh/rh 11/16  18tpi taps. I ordered them as NF and got one 11 tpi and one 16tpi tap. Sent back , Friday I got a pair of 16tpi lh/rh , still no good . I have now been waiting on these taps for 2 weeks and I need them to thread the ends of my steering cross shaft for the T . I am at a stand still until I get them. Once the cross shaft is in I can position my home made unisteer under the car and make whatever else I need to get steering working . THEN I can remount the body to place steering column and master cyl.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "GPster"I'm still waiting for my ship to come in but the slow boat from China hasn't delivered my conductivity glue to repair the printed circuit board for my scared instrument panel. Trying to get my mind set off one problem at a time I referred to my plan of needing to get the engine running for enthusiasm. I remembered that I wanted to get a drive shaft for it so I could keep the tail housing from leaking because the "Park less" transmission would probably spin the drive shaft and the rear end (which will be up on jack stands). The floor braces that I had installed to hold things together until I had figured out where to build the tunnel sat squarely between the transmission tail shaft and the yoke on the rear end. So I spent yesterday afternoon modifying the brace for the tunnel. Now I can get a measurement for the length of the drive shaft. It has been years since I saw the drive shaft from the donor S15 but when I dug it out yesterday I found out that it was one with an enlarged tube in the center. The engine has been set to the rear of this chassis 7 1/4" and the rear end has been moved forward 4" and I don't think there is enough length it the small tube ends of this drive shaft to take the shortening. When all this snow melts off it will be too muddy to be looking in junkyards for candidates. My friends run a machine shop and as a side they will make drive shafts for 4X4s and pulling tractors and they have cut drive shafts in the middle before. Some way this will move on.  GPster

The best I can measure for what I need would be 41 1/2" center of joint to center of joint. This verifies the 11 1/4" of changes that I have made. The joints are inside keeper type for an '87 GMC S15 2.5L with the 700R transmission. This probably falls into the odd length category but maybe half of a 2 pc. drive shaft or a front drive shaft for a 4X4. The O.D. of the small ends of the original drive shaft is 2 3/4" so if you don't have anything close I'll probably start looking for a drive shaft that diameter  for the full length with one end with the right joint yoke on it GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

The best I can measure for what I need would be 41 1/2" center of joint to center of joint. This verifies the 11 1/4" of changes that I have made. The joints are inside keeper type for an '87 GMC S15 2.5L with the 700R transmission. This probably falls into the odd length category but maybe half of a 2 pc. drive shaft or a front drive shaft for a 4X4. The O.D. of the small ends of the original drive shaft is 2 3/4" so if you don't have anything close I'll probably start looking for a drive shaft that diameter  for the full length with one end with the right joint yoke on it GPster

I'll take a look, and see if I have one that length., I have a ton of them. Really, like 2000 lbs.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

It was 74 degrees when I got home this afternoon. I washed vehicles and enjoyed the feeling of the sun. I ordered a new axle for the 51 this morning. There went the budget one more time. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

KB426 it sure seems like your parts car didn't cough up many useable parts. I have a truck like that .I got it for a trade of labour but have more than double the money in it then it is worth!I may be stripping it for parts this spring as my daughter has the same type of truck and I can probably make use of other stuff on my 65Merc 1/2 ton

kb426

CK, you're close to correct on that. I used the fuel tank and pump, rear axle housing, carrier, brakes, one axle, companion flange, wiring harness, ecu, all the engine acces., throttle body and fuel rails and injectors from the old engine, hydroboost, steering column, pedal hanger, gauge cluster, door handles and latches, trans crossmember,all the sensors from the old engine,cooling fan, and an assortment of metric bolts, some lines and surely I missed something. The mustang cost $1450. I don't know if I got enough used parts to justify that or not. It sure has been entertaining, though. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

if the engine would have been good it would have been a different story.I think a parts car is usually a good deal as you never seem to add up all the expense from nickel and dime stuff that you continually take off a parts car without thinking. I seldom sell a car when I am done driving it, I usually strip it and store the good stuff. The engine for my model T is from a truck I scrapped 10 years  ago.

idrivejunk

Howdy gents. :)

Took a last look (am now indefinitely hobbled) around the shop today and had the old Pontiac out for a spin and some mental clarity. Thank the Lord for recirculating balls, ha ha. Things went downhill since my last post in many ways. Found out I've been working with fractured radius and ulna for 6 weeks. Due to being told there were no breaks from X-rays initially. Went for re-check, different doc. She was very apologetic on behal of the clinic. Painful? Yes but I had instructions to use the hand so I did. There was much whining on my part and now it makes sense but I'm psychologically gutted.

Yeah lawyer blah blah but mostly ouch and now ah finally with meds and an ortho on it. CT scan yesterday, no plan yet. Still no change to that crash report. Just wanted to pop my head in, I see its pretty much been the good old usual in here lately. That 41 Ford went into the hands of the owner yesterday, so many happy trails to that one but it looks like I won't have any handiwork in SEMA this year due to my mess. Carry on and I'll keep visiting, probably more while I heal. I'll try to be quiet unless theres a need.
Matt

phat46

Quote from: "idrivejunk"Howdy gents. :)

Took a last look (am now indefinitely hobbled) around the shop today and had the old Pontiac out for a spin and some mental clarity. Thank the Lord for recirculating balls, ha ha. Things went downhill since my last post in many ways. Found out I've been working with fractured radius and ulna for 6 weeks. Due to being told there were no breaks from X-rays initially. Went for re-check, different doc. She was very apologetic on behal of the clinic. Painful? Yes but I had instructions to use the hand so I did. There was much whining on my part and now it makes sense but I'm psychologically gutted.

Yeah lawyer blah blah but mostly ouch and now ah finally with meds and an ortho on it. CT scan yesterday, no plan yet. Still no change to that crash report. Just wanted to pop my head in, I see its pretty much been the good old usual in here lately. That 41 Ford went into the hands of the owner yesterday, so many happy trails to that one but it looks like I won't have any handiwork in SEMA this year due to my mess. Carry on and I'll keep visiting, probably more while I heal. I'll try to be quiet unless theres a need.

Wow six weeks, do they have to rebreak the bones? Seems they would have healed by now. Best of luck, let us know how it's going.

idrivejunk

Quote from: "phat46"Wow six weeks, do they have to rebreak the bones? Seems they would have healed by now. Best of luck, let us know how it's going.

The ulna has a compression fracture at the seam where the growth plate was, all the way across the bottom. Hand won't bend down. They say the ends have begun to heal. I don't know how much separation there was, of the crack. In imagining the correction in my mind, yeah I think cutting neatly almost all the way through the bone to create a fresh edge, and some kind of peg to maintain position while healing would be in order. But I didn't see the xrays, and personally can afford nothing. To me, the wrist seems to be the eight-speed transmission of the anatomy world, and this thing used to be harder than an axe handle. Once its busted...

Ortho says misalignment is what causes long term trouble, and the CT scan should reveal that and hopefully any torn tissues. The radius has a chip on the outside tip, that hasn't attached to anything. That one is like a dull knife held against the wrist. What prompted me to go in was that pretty much my whole arm got involved in the pain zone. Had to go see, and now... well I'll yell it if theres any good news. Hoping just to avoid the knife but if need be, so be it. The wrist itself pales in comparison to the fast-growing tree of complications.

See how I am? Reckon I lean towards "too much info" but there ya go.
Matt