What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

Got a great pic of a pileated woodpecker this morning.  I was at my laptop in the dining room, and out of the corner of my eye, I see what I thought might be a hawk coming into the trees in the front yard.  *...it's a pileated woodpecker.  Third sighting here in 6 years.  They are crow-sized, and are about 16" to 19".
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Arnold

Quote from: "chimp koose"A lady I work with had a large trailer crash through her house . The trailer went loose and came off the back of the tow vehicle, then crashed into her house stopping just before the gas furnace. Her son was in bed and the trailer went right over him and stopped while perched over his bed in the basement bedroom.If he had been sitting up in bed he would have been killed. The wheel of the trailer was stopped by a tree in the yard . If the trailer would have hit the house 1' over it would have gone completely into her basement.The driver of the vehicle took off and returned later with another person who claimed to be the driver. One of my students witnessed the accident and informed the police who the real driver was. Real driver was driving while suspended.Insurance was not cooperative with the home owner who was fully insured . It ended up costing her a lot out of pocket.

Wow! Your friend is very lucky..in the most important ways.   Moral of the story: Do not get hit..or have problems  by drunk,un-licensed,un-insured or those engaging in criminal behaviour(including some driving!).Stats in Ontario are that about 6% of all vehicles do not have insurance.I think I heard the expert speaking about that that of the 6%..95% of these are under suspension.

Too many horror stories about this.
 Need greater deterrent.

Arnold

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Got a great pic of a pileated woodpecker this morning.  I was at my laptop in the dining room, and out of the corner of my eye, I see what I thought might be a hawk coming into the trees in the front yard.  *...it's a pileated woodpecker.  Third sighting here in 6 years.  They are crow-sized, and are about 16" to 19".

There is an old dead tree..sticking up about 20' right in front of my house.I have seen a few hawks and falcons sitting on it.
 One day I see a pileated working there..then  :lol: this pretty good sized hawk..thinks :idea: it is going to chase the pileated away.
 I will never forget the first time I heard one.
 I swore it was a sledgehammer.
 Ya..they got quite the hammer drill.
 We one nest on the ground in a huge dead tree that had fallen down.
 We watched as they put up the "home security" :lol:
 They smear the entrance and area with pine gum

phat rat

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Got a great pic of a pileated woodpecker this morning.  I was at my laptop in the dining room, and out of the corner of my eye, I see what I thought might be a hawk coming into the trees in the front yard.  *...it's a pileated woodpecker.  Third sighting here in 6 years.  They are crow-sized, and are about 16" to 19".

Nice shot. We're lucky enough to have resident Pileated at our place. I have a picture somewhere of either 2 or 3 together on the same tree. Their hammering and call are certainly distinctive
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Carps

We have Kookaburra, Crimson Rosella and Sulphur Crested Cocatoo among many others.  The Cockies are great talkers and often the evergreen eucalypts and mountain ash (close relative of the California redwoods but not quite as big) are turned white with screeching flocks of these guys.

Anyhow, when Bob K was staying with us, one morning he took his coffee onto our rickety front deck and we heard a crash as his mug shattered on the ground ten feet below.

We went outside to find Bob looking like a ghost.  When I asked what happened he exclaimed that one of those g@d@mned birds said "Hello Bobby" which is something not uncommon for a bird that has been a pet but escaped into the wild.  The best bit was we didn't even have to break a smile because as he said that, the nearby Kookaburras broke intoa chorus of raucous laughter.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Crosley.In.AZ

Walked out the front door from work a few weeks back... driving by was a car with some wierd white box looking things bolted to the roof...  on the door was the logo:  BING

online search indicates it was a camera car for BING ,  online search thingy.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

papastoyss

Quote from: "phat rat"

Nice shot. We're lucky enough to have resident Pileated at our place. I have a picture somewhere of either 2 or 3 together on the same tree. Their hammering and call are certainly distinctive
My house has cypress wood siding w/a natural finish, I've had to repair several holes where woodpeckers have drilled. I keep a loaded .410 handy but the smart boogers take flight as soon as they hear a door open!
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

58 Yeoman

I'm the third little piggy...I live in a brick house. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

Today I took a step backward in my T build . I spent the better part of my evening calculating all the measurements to machine the caliper brackets I have , to make them work for my application. I even made a drawing so I could use it for reference should I have to make more. I probably should have looked at the drawing one more time before I laid out the holes to drill because I went from memory instead and drilled the holes to a different spacing . EXACTLY to size just the wrong size so my mounting holes are exactly 1/8"  too narrow . Instead of buying just one new bracket I think I will get 3 . I am sure I can figure out how to make them work for discs on the rear . While I am at it I might as well have 4 wheel disc brakes . From a shock spring chart on speedway motors it estimates that my coupe should weigh about 2500LB with driver. 1200 front 1300 rear with near identical equipment (I have an 8" when chart accounts for 9"diff) . I think tire size will be the biggest factor as to how to set proportioning valve. 6" tread x 27 dia. vs. 10.5x 31 rear .

kb426

CK, I understand completely! :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

There are 2 bright sides to my mistake. The bracket is only $9.99 , and since I will have to pay that and more for shipping I kind of talked myself into getting 2 more and doing the rear disc thing which I had not planned on originally. I told my students about my mistake and we all had a good chuckle . The drawing I made was about a foot away from where I did the layout work !

Crosley.In.AZ

Added an additional 6 gig RAM to my Mac Mini... it is much happier now with 8 gig RAM.

it was slowing down after an upgrade to OS.. go  figure.  I found it was using 2+ gig of virtual RAM  past the 2 gig RAM that was already there.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Rochie

Chimp,
if you're talking an 8in Ford, use 96/02 crown vic or marquis rear discs. Get everything from the brackets out from a donor in a yard. The only thing you have to do is open up 2 holes on the bracket to fit the bolt spacing on the flame, and make a spacer 1/4 in X 3in OD to fit between the bearing and retainer plate. I used this set up on my 29 roadster and it works great!!!
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x310/Rochie_2007/001-2.jpg

jaybee

Finally got the Fiesta back from the collision repair today. The paint is a perfect match and everything looks great except the gap at the front edge of the hood is a little tight on one side. No shop personnel today as it's a small town dealer and the shop only works every other weekend. Shouldn't be too hard to find the right place to adjust the fascia. I would have asked them to fix it but the car was 50mi from home and wife needs it next week so she can meet me in Kansas City. If I wanted them to fix it we wouldn't be able to get it back for two more weeks due to my work/travel schedule.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

machined a center cap for a jeep wheel for a friend of mine . If it works  I will be making 3 more .Spent the rest of the day baselining a chopper frame for another buddy. I will be building a girder front end for his bike as the one he has is wrong for the angle of the neck on his frame(no trail). I may need to make trees for him too .I did nothing on my T today which means by the way things are going lately ,that I am farther ahead on it than if I was working on it .