What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Carps, what a great way to start my day! Thank you.
TEAM SMART

Rrumbler

Quote from: "enjenjo"What is it Carps?

I wondered the same thing.  The tailfins resemble a '56 Plymouth, but the A pillar is not the right shape for that.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Carps

I'm not 100% on the exact model year but it's either a '57 or '58 Australian Chrysler Wayfarer Utility (Yoot).

Because our market was relatively small, the 'big 3' used some unique measures to save money.  If you look closely at my '33 Ford for example......

......... you'll notice that the back section of the roof is actually 1932 not '33.  Likewise the rear doors were carried over from the '32 model........

........ thus they saved a bunch of money on tooling costs and we got our own unique cars.

What looks like a green and white '55 Ford with the black side flash, is in fact an Aussie '58 Ford.................

......... The '55/6 body was carried through '57 and '58 updated using a combination of US Fairlane (since we only got Customline spec) and Canadian trim (hence the star in the grille) to keep them fresh.

So too, at Chrysler Australia the basic '54/5 bodies were retained through to '59 with the front and rear masks updated using parts from various later year US models (Dodge/Desoto/Plymouth).  These carsare known here as the Chrysler Royal.  Later in the fifties Chrysler Australia did import some US models (mostly 4 door Dodge Custom Royal and Desto).

I'll add a few more pics later so you can better see how things worked out down here.  Meanwhile here's a link to the Wikipeadie explanation...... * clever them Aussies!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Royal_(Australia)
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

purplepickup

Now that's a nice taste of rodding life in Oz.  Thanks for the great pics!
George

Carps

My pleasure, I really should stop by more often.   :oops:
Carps

sirstude

Carps, great pictures!

Back in the garage tonight. This weekend when I washed the car I lifted the hood to mop up the water and the driver side upper radiator mount had come loose on the solder.  The solder was kind of grey and critalized, so probably a bit cold when it was assembled.  This is a top/bottom tank unit and the mounts are a one piece unit that solders to the top and bottom tanks.  It is for a 65 fullsized, air conditioned, 409 Wagon.  Seemed to be the biggest one I could find.  The car never runs over about 185, except in parades and then it MIGHT hit 200.  502/502 with no shroud and a 7 blade steel fan. It is a good radiator.  This one had an edge showing, not smooth solder kind of squeezed out on that side.  Going to a radiator shop that I have no experience with, but have gotten good reviews on it.  I would solder it myself, but I don't want to take a chance on loosening the top tank with too much heat.  I have not soldered many radiators.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

58 Yeoman

I replaced the short (about 10") mufflers on the '63 Ford yesterday with Cherry Bombs.  It sounds much better.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Carps

Like a factory built radical custom, pretty cool huh?

Carps

Rrumbler

Quote from: CarpsLike a factory built radical custom, pretty cool huh?

Yeah, it is.  I dug up some pics of a '56, and the quarter panel, headlight eyebrow treatment and taillight design is straight '56 Plymouth; the roof line at the A pillar is almost a dead ringer for a '53-'54 Plymouth, if not exact.  I find that quite intriguing.  I love seeing these pictures of the runs you guys from the other side of the world  put up, I look at every one of them with far more  intent than I do a lot of things from our neck of the woods.  It is sort of looking at some science fiction work where things seem so familiar, but different at the same time.  I love it.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

jaybee

Great pics, I love the way you tell a story.

I have GOT to find some sort of weeknight cruise in or KC...I'm seriously going through car withdrawal.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

+1, thats was a cool picture story, I enjoyed it!

I am whittling away at the rest of those '40 bed mods still. Outlets are done. Working on teardrops and tag recess, and those outlet panels became one with the roll pan. Capping bed and gate rail ends, etc also. THIS project feels like traditional rodding, ah.

Mike is having heck with the 38, 39-40, 41 front end panels though. Apparently this rat rod truck we started with has a car hood and fender and year mismatches all over the place. These unpredictable setbacks make deadlines in mirror appear closer than they are, ha. This is headed for Vegas in November, fingers crossed.

By random chance, 3 Broncos I've worked on were in the corral today-

Each of these is a unique and nifty build. Capable off roader on the left, supercharged show queen in green, and creature-feature-mobile on the right.

This is a biggie taking place in the next stall over- an F-body becoming a unibody with IRS. Modern rodding right there! The cherry original floor sawzalled out in one big piece ...

Matt

kb426

Neat stuff! What is the name of the shop?
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

"H.A.C.K. Shack" ... (Hagar's Auto Classic and Kustom)
Matt

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "idrivejunk""H.A.C.K. Shack" ... (Hagar's Auto Classic and Kustom)

That is funny.  Four of my friends from Joplin, that drive Willy's coupes, call there selves the "Hack Brothers".

You and I are going to have to have a meeting someday soon.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

tom36

Went to the start of the Great Race  yesterday.  Started in Ogunquit Maine this year and ends up at the Villages, Florida.  105 cars- $5k to enter and $50 k to win.  beautiful sunny no humidity day.  tom...