What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I don't know if that remote reading thermometer I got for Christmas is a blessing or a curse. It was 15 this morning and now it's 48. The one to three inches of snow we were warned about for here yesterday only turned out to be a dusting. The pressure cap on the wife's Jeep daily drive seems to be more than the 120,000 mile radiator can stand and it's too cold for me to do anything but keep adding anti freeze/water. BARRS hasn't stopped it and I can't even get excited about cleaning off the engine and fixing it or trading it. Located a used radiator and the local ADVANCE has a new one in stock and I ought to just get something to replace it with because there'll be no way I can repair it. The oil level is not rising and it's wet/sloppy enough under the hood for me to be comfortable that it's an external leak. I'm sure the neighbor has a radiator test air pump but it's been to cold for him to open his garage and I don't like to bother him with repair problems in his residence. Been a depressing winter and I check here at least 4 times a day and nobody has any thing better to say so I mostly keep my mouth shut. GPster

BFS57

Hello;
May be too late but I always had luck with adding a heaping tea spoon of black pepper to a leaky radiator.
Ad it cold, start it, bring it up to temp and check it out!

Bruce

Pete

Today I spent several hours doing brain surgery.
I was repairing a ruptured artery in the brain of an
atomic digital clock.

chimp koose

I just booked a cherry picker truck for sunday to pick up my new to me LATHE. I saw a lathe last spring for a family to put a price on it for them to sell(owner had passed).I even brought someone over to look at it for purchase.The lathe has not sold in all this time and the friend who took me there in the first place told me they really wanted it gone.I would like a lathe but dont need one at home yet as I have 13 lathes at work. It makes no sense to spend good money on a lathe to have it sit for years until I retire . The family offered it to me ,the price was right,I will let it sit now until I need it. I am kind of excited because now I can spend what I may have saved on this machine to buy a better mill (MRS. math) . I need to have a lathe and mill at home before I retire or I will die of boredome in retirement.

kb426

TEAM SMART

phat46

Finally home from China, awake for 30 hrs.to make the trip. We had to sit on the plane at the Shanghai aiport on the tarmac for two hours before we could start the 13+ hour trip. It was very interesting, I made some new friends, but I wouldn't want to live there. Between the food, the crowds, the traffic and the pollution and the general way of life, most places have no heat, including work areas, restaurants, even the hotel lobby, I can much more appreciate what we have here. Hopefully the plant will take our ideas and suggestions and be better prepared for what's coming for them. Nice to be home, now I just have to readjust my body clock 12 hours....again!
:-o

purplepickup

Good to hear you're home safe & sound Joe.  Obviously you weren't on the plane to nowhere that they still haven't found. :shock:  That is a strange and sad situation.
George

phat46

Quote from: "purplepickup"Good to hear you're home safe & sound Joe.  Obviously you weren't on the plane to nowhere that they still haven't found. :shock:  That is a strange and sad situation.

Thanks George, the lost plane was about the only news over there, most of the people onboard were Chinese nationals. We were hoping to be out of the country before they determined if it was a terrorist situation, that would have made our travel even more "interesting".

kb426

Welcome back, Joe. I'd really like to hear about your trip sometime. A cultural exchange seems to have a good way of putting one's life in perspective. :)
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Welcome Home Joe ..... Good to see you made it safe & sound ...  8)

Bob ...  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"Welcome back, Joe. I'd really like to hear about your trip sometime. A cultural exchange seems to have a good way of putting one's life in perspective. :)
I wrote a post about the trip on the Throne Room page, but I must have taken too long and it timed out and was lost. I'll try to post it again when I get time. I'll have to learn to type faster! :lol:

58 Yeoman

I had to lower the small medicine cabinet in the bathroom today.  That's because the left door would hit the new overhead lamp fixture globe.  I had to replace that overhead light two weeks ago, because my wife wanted to clean the globes, and I COULD NOT get the left hand (of two) ceramic nut off the socket.  The 2 1/2 year old light fell apart.  The new lamp has four globes (couldn't find one like the original).

Oh, and when I was trying to get the globe off, I sat on the vanity to get a better angle....and the cultured marble top cracked (also 2 1/2 years old).  She told me that she really didn't like that one anyway, as you could see a whole lot of scratches on it, even after using the right cleaners and rags.

I had had to 'grind' off 1/2 that marble top to make it fit between the walls (who builds a house with tolerances too small for a 61" top)?  I used my brothers' belt sander last time...this time we went to Menard's and bought my own.  I'll do that job when warm weather gets  here.

One other thing...the new faucet is the oiled bronze.  All the oiled bronze drains are a different color now (she tried cleaning the old one, and the finish came off).  So, I guess I'll be replacing the faucet and drain also...
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

416Ford

Put the last coats of paint on the upstairs hall way. Installed lights in the bathroom and closet. Replaced all the outlets in all the rooms then went out to the garage.
Finally fired the engine back up after a top end rebuild.
I can hopefully get back to the garage on Tue to adjust the rockers and get the good valve covers back on.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

Crosley.In.AZ

Took a ride to Roosevelt Lake area.  Not been up there is a few years.

Did not travel all the way up the hill like a few weeks ago
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat rat

I bet you didn't go by way of Tortilla Flats :)
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.