What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I'm at the library using their computor. When I was coming home last Wednesday from Cincinnati I called my wife to let her know my expected arrival time because she was schedualed to leave that afternoon for a 5 day meeting,visiting and baby-sitting trip. She answered and told me she was just leaving home and headed back to work. Our computor had died again and the repairman had just come to pick it up. It had died the Sunday before Thanksgiving and it had been fixed but the repairman said that he has seen the replacement parts to fail when new which he'll replace N/C if that's the problem but as old as it's getting it may not be worth much more repair. With winter closing in I've found enough stuff to do in the yard so now I need to empty the "Mobil Compost Pile" so I can put the For Sale sign on it. Oh Well! GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

Road trip today. Muskegon to Joliet, IL and back. Met a guy from Springfield, Il to deliver a Whirly-Gig rotisserie I sold to him. I think it found a good home, in that I never unbanded it after buying it in 1996, and he's gonna restore a '55 T-Bird body on it.

Cash money and breakfast at Cracker Barrel.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

oj

I made a new bottom for a Packard gas tank - what a mess welding it in.  They had leaded the ends as a seal and it thought i'd never get across them!  That lead drove the tig nuts.  Then i had to relead the thing.
I started on making a valve spring compressor for a hemi shaft to replace the vale springs on the head.
A buddy that does scrapping came by with a large machinests' tool chest.  He was cleaning out a basement of an old machinest, he didn't know what all the stuff was but didn't want to throw it out so he brought it to me.  It is packed!  I've only gone thru about 1/2 the drawers, i'll clean it out and give the chest back to my buddy.

enjenjo

Recovering.I left Vegas sunday afternoon, pulled in my driveway at 330 am this morning. We stopped and spent a day with wzjunk and his wife, had a great time. Glad to be home though. When we got home this morning, SWMBO asked if I knew anything about the new dishwasher under the counter, I told her I knew nothing  :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "enjenjo"When we got home this morning, SWMBO asked if I knew anything about the new dishwasher under the counter, I told her I knew nothing  :roll:

So your wife finally found the other woman you've been hiding?   :oops:

Welcome home!  ....Do you have any money left to buy a compressor?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "enjenjo"When we got home this morning, SWMBO asked if I knew anything about the new dishwasher under the counter, I told her I knew nothing  :roll:

So your wife finally found the other woman you've been hiding?   :oops:

Welcome home!  ....Do you have any money left to buy a compressor?

I told you, I know nothing

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I told you, I know nothing
Knowing the problems that installation would have been, knowing nothing and being on the other side of the country would be the best way of taking care of it. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

We are very busy at work still.

Had a new twist on something with acetylene gas bottle.  My bottle is about kneee high tall, NOT large bottle you see in shops.  Commonly referred to as a ''owner bottle'' out here in Aridzona

I ride my Goldwing full time for commuting to work.  I straped the gas bottle to the back seat, rode to work.  At lunch I rode to the supply house for an exchange on the bottle.

The guy would not exchange the bottle, because the ''new company'' Matheson that bought US Air does not allow the bottle to be loose in a bed of a truck or strapped to a cycle seat.

I had another guy at work , run down to the supply house in his truck for me.

that evening I discovered the bottle will actually fit in my saddle bags. The Goldwing saddle bags are longer inside than they look.  I wonder IF that would have been OK with the guy at Matheson?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"We are very busy at work still.

Had a new twist on something with acetylene gas bottle.  My bottle is about kneee high tall, NOT large bottle you see in shops.  Commonly referred to as a ''owner bottle'' out here in Aridzona

I ride my Goldwing full time for commuting to work.  I straped the gas bottle to the back seat, rode to work.  At lunch I rode to the supply house for an exchange on the bottle.

The guy would not exchange the bottle, because the ''new company'' Matheson that bought US Air does not allow the bottle to be loose in a bed of a truck or strapped to a cycle seat.

that evening I discovered the bottle will actually fit in my saddle bags. The Goldwing saddle bags are longer inside than they look.  I wonder IF that would have been OK with the guy at Matheson?

That would not satisfy him either. An acetylene bottle should be transported and stored vertically. The bottle is full even when empty. The older ones with balsa wood, newer ones with plastic foam, used to stabilise the acetylene gas, which is dissolved in acetone. If the valve is opebed with the bottle laying down, it's possible for liquid acetone to come out causing a fire. If it is transported on it's side, it should be stood up for several hours before using.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Crosley"We are very busy at work still.

That would not satisfy him either. An acetylene bottle should be transported and stored vertically. The bottle is full even when empty. The older ones with balsa wood, newer ones with plastic foam, used to stabilise the acetylene gas, which is dissolved in acetone. If the valve is opebed with the bottle laying down, it's possible for liquid acetone to come out causing a fire. If it is transported on it's side, it should be stood up for several hours before using.

I know of the acetylene tank  design and contents.

I will haul the tanks as I want.  Tired of gubmint or others injecting their rules on me for every little G-D thing on the planet.
Tony

58 Yeoman

I've picked up bottles at my supply place; they would take it as far as the truck and leave it there for me to load, sometimes in my old van.  Not a good idea, I guess, as I've since seen what happens when one blows while inside a vehicle. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

UGLY OLDS

There is a thread someplace about an acetylene explosion in a plumbers van .. I think it was in Oz ... Really tore up the neighborhood.. I have seen the result of a mishap in a van carrying liquid oxygen ..( The one's that deliver  oxy & home health care products ) ... It took out multiple cars & all the windows in a 1 block radius ....But then ...I bring my bottles home in the back seat ...Upright of course .... :)

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"There is a thread someplace about an acetylene explosion in a plumbers van .. I think it was in Oz ... Really tore up the neighborhood.. I have seen the result of a mishap in a van carrying liquid oxygen ..( The one's that deliver  oxy & home health care products ) ... It took out multiple cars & all the windows in a 1 block radius ....But then ...I bring my bottles home in the back seat ...Upright of course .... :)

Bob..... :wink:

Yep , the tanks can be dangerous...  

new rules a few years back, ALL large  tanks will have threaded covers on them..  You know the covers that no one used.  :shock:

At one time the large tanks were only ''leased'' , people could not own them.  Then that law changed, people could own the large tanks again.

I was in Colorado in the mid 1970's ... had my oxy & acylene tank set with me.  The 3  companys in Colorado Denver area I went to would not touch the tanks, exchange them , re-fill them.  I was told by all 3 , the tanks were unsafe, not certified.  You could read the test dates on the tanks. The tanks were legal.

I came back to AZ ... went to supplier and had tanks checked. They showed me the date stampings, the paper work with Fed laws on how the tanks were legal.  I guess the Colorado companys were trying to grease up my butt and screw me
Tony

kb426

A local company was replacing their countertops in their office. I bought them and turned them into sewing tables. One is 4' long and one is 10' long. They're both 2' wide. I cut a hole and routed around it to sink my machine level with the top. I used the long one today just sitting on some supports. It's more solid than the white plastic table I've been using. I'm out of storage space so I have another problem to deal with. The weather changed today and the temp went down almost 50 degrees. It won't be fun  for a few days.
TEAM SMART

Mikej

When I was in the Army, our Recovery  Track ( M88) stored the tanks laying down.  We just pulled them off and used them. I know in shop class they told us not to lay them down and open them.