What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UGLY OLDS

Funny that a "builder" from the "Cheecaaago" area  had to go to Phoenix to find work ... Any builder worthy of the title can almost name his price in this area .... Some "Aamco's" are running with out builders as there are none to be found ... Some dealers have a three week backlog on trans repairs as they only have 1 or 2 tech's qualified in transmission repair ...

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

WZ JUNK

I am starting work on the new front for the Flat Cad land speed car.  The first part is a scoop similar to the one I built for Hooley's Studebaker. I cut the plug for the air inlet this morning.  It went okay but I have some places to fill and work.  It is useable.  If you stop or slow down while cutting the hot wire burns a mark in the foam.  It was a large piece and hard to work with.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

purplepickup

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I cut the plug for the air inlet this morning.  ... If you stop or slow down while cutting the hot wire burns a mark in the foam.  
John
John, I might have missed it, but do you have info posted showing your foam cutter?
George

phat rat

I'm parting a 66 Buick with a 401 w/switch pitch and 45 fin drums
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"I cut the plug for the air inlet this morning.  ... If you stop or slow down while cutting the hot wire burns a mark in the foam.  
John
John, I might have missed it, but do you have info posted showing your foam cutter?

George,  

I will take a picture.  I made one that will cut vertical and horizontal.  The cutter worked fine but it was difficult because of the foam I used and the shape and size of the piece.  

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

Not what I did, but what my wife did.  She fixed a car guy Christmas tree.

Good wife.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

Spent the day getting loaded up so I can head home.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Glen

took the nova to the track today.  First time using the transbrake and actually trying to launch the car off the line.  Now its a whole new ball game.

I have my four link and I/C plotted well, the pinion angle is good, and I scaled the car with my weight in the front seat and adjusted the 4 link to square everything up.

made a shock adjustment and left pretty good on the third attempt, lost the back of the blower belt pulley at 330 feet, luckily the belt slid back and covered the crank sensor and shut the car off.

I think I am making good progress though, I have the right equipment and it is cutting a lot of corners.  For example, My four link is from Jerry bickel and he offers software for plotting the chassi that has his bracket dimension already in the system.  It helped me to find the sweet spot quicker.

Arnold

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Not what I did, but what my wife did.  She fixed a car guy Christmas tree.

Good wife.

John

Really Nice!

Great! Wife.

kb426

John, what's more important is the car guy gifts that go under it! Obviously your wife has a great sense of humor. Glen, all the new toys sound fabulous. You still have to run the car but when you calculate the cost per run, I'm sure it pays out in short order. There's only a few reason's to toss a belt. What caused that?
Myself, I've spent the last 2 days sanding and buffing on the 32. It had a little orange peel that I'm trying to say goodby to. I won't get all the little places done this week end. I'll save the rest for after my body heals up.  :lol:
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Began build of trellis from copper tube.  Arizona is copper state. I like copper.  Less than half finished on one trellis.  Wife likes them, all that matters to me

Hope nobody steals the trellis. there will 2 of them in the corner of the front yard.

I braze these tubes together with silver flow rods and oxy-acetylene torch.

Center upright base is 1 inch tube, the large hoops are 1 inch tube.  3/4 inch tube up from 1 inch base... 1/2 inch tube after that. Will use 1/4 inch tube in there some where too.

After finished, I will sand the tubes a bit with red Scotch brite pad.... leave them natural exposed copper.

I already have water pipe and pvc electrical pipe in ground. Will use LED landscape low voltage lights
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Here is a picture of the foam cutter I made.  It cuts two ways vertical and horizontal.  My intention was to use it to cut a type of foam that I have a supply of and I like to work with.  However, it will not cut that kind of foam.  I think that it must be a kind of urethane foam.   It will cut styrofoam really nice.  I bought a digital power supply to power the nichrome wire.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

34ford

Blew the dust off the power tools and spent the last coupe of weekend building some matching end tables for the new coffee table we bought for the living room. Built 3 of these in material for what one would cost, and these are mostly solid oak. Have to get them to my painter friend for the finish. He has a shop where he sprays wood finishs all the time. The top on the one with the door is not fully attached until the finish is done.

Glen

Quote from: "kb426". There's only a few reason's to toss a belt. What caused that?

pretty simple, when it was assembled there no was loc-tite on the four 1/4-20 screws that hold the plate on the back of the pulley   :roll: .  Two were picked up off the track and one was laying on the water header.
seems like the manufacturer should do that when they assemble them.

Luckily I have a belt guard so it slung it down and hit the water header, then it spit out the back of the car.

the car is fast....the driver?  not so fast.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Glen"the car is fast....the driver?  not so fast.

But certainly NOT half-fast !!!!!  :D

I'm sure you will be thrilled when you get a full-power full-pass run !!!

Please keep us posted !!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!