What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Carnut,

You are not alone.  I have made some real silly mistakes lately.  The good news is that your neutral safety switch is working.  That is a very good thing.  I will not let a car leave the shop without a neutral safety switch.  Imagine what could have happened if it started in gear.

John

yup just ask Don/DRD57
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

phat rat

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Carnut,

Imagine what could have happened if it started in gear.

John

That's what happened to me Christmas Eve 2010. My wake up call was my pelvis broken in 4 places. But by the grace of god I have no after effects
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

When I was working on the sandblaster the other day, it became obvious that it needed more work, to work right. It is a TIP 49" unit, I have had it over 20 years. It needed new expanded metal in the bottom, the center was gone completely. TIP wanted $96 for a grate shipped. I bought a 4 by 8 sheet for $65, enough to replace it three times, here locally. It also needed a couple crossmember braces replaced, I made new ones out of 16 ga steel.  I cleaned it thoroughly inside and out, it was really dusty inside. I am making a 14" kickout on one end so I can get axle housings and so forth into it.  I am also putting a door, with a rubber liner on one end, so I can let really long stuff stick out the end.

So, the next thing, my shop has never been plumbed for air.  While the sandblaster is out, I am plumbing the shop for air, using DOT plastic air line. So there will be no more hoses all over the floor.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"When I was working on the sandblaster the other day, it became obvious that it needed more work, to work right. It is a TIP 49" unit, I have had it over 20 years. It needed new expanded metal in the bottom, the center was gone completely. TIP wanted $96 for a grate shipped. I bought a 4 by 8 sheet for $65, enough to replace it three times, here locally. It also needed a couple crossmember braces replaced, I made new ones out of 16 ga steel.  I cleaned it thoroughly inside and out, it was really dusty inside. I am making a 14" kickout on one end so I can get axle housings and so forth into it.  I am also putting a door, with a rubber liner on one end, so I can let really long stuff stick out the end.
I'll have to be retrained. GPster

UGLY OLDS

QuoteI am plumbing the shop for air, using DOT plastic air line. So there will be no more hoses all over the floor.
[/quote]

Frank ...Will this give you the same volume as using 1" & 3/4" black iron pipe ??   What about the cooling advantage from using black pipe ??  

Jus' thinkin' ...... :?

Bob ....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat rat

Took a short drive today to go to a yard sale I saw on Craigslist. Came home with an Edelbrock trip set up w/carbs for a pre 48 flattie along with a set of Edelbrock heads for the same.

Boyd Who

Quote from: "phat rat"Took a short drive today to go to a yard sale I saw on Craigslist. Came home with an Edelbrock trip set up w/carbs for a pre 48 flattie along with a set of Edelbrock heads for the same.

phat rat

Quote from: "Boyd Who"
Quote from: "phat rat"Took a short drive today to go to a yard sale I saw on Craigslist. Came home with an Edelbrock trip set up w/carbs for a pre 48 flattie along with a set of Edelbrock heads for the same.

Ad said Model A parts and hot rod stuff. So I drove 45 mi one way to see. But the only real A stuff was a frame that wasn't in good shape. Had a couple of flattie blocks, one with the rods torched off the crank to get the crank out as it was froze up bad. A couple of years ago I did ok at another yard sale but it certainly isn't common. Here's the wording of the ad

some smaller farm equipment.cleaning out the garage and 2 sheds.old motorcycles and parts.modela hot rod parts.come dig around something for everyone.

enjenjo

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
QuoteI am plumbing the shop for air, using DOT plastic air line. So there will be no more hoses all over the floor.

Frank ...Will this give you the same volume as using 1" & 3/4" black iron pipe ??   What about the cooling advantage from using black pipe ??  

Jus' thinkin' ...... :?

Bob ....... :wink:[/quote]

5/8" DOT tube has about the same ID as 3/4" black iron. So that should not cause a problem. Cooling has never been a problem in the past, with rubber hose, I don't anticipate one now.

Digger

I would think black pipe would get a lot of rust in an air line. I used 1/2 & 3/4 in. galvanized in about 6000 feet of the shop and have had no problems. I also put a 6 in. drop with a drain at every outlet. I would think you would get a lot less condensation with the plastic pipe.
I'm sure a lot of us already know this but one thing to remember when piping for air is to have a slight rise in the line all the way to the end so condensation will drain back to the compressor.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Digger

Also, be sure to use a flexible hose between your compressor and piping.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

enjenjo

Quote from: "Digger"Also, be sure to use a flexible hose between your compressor and piping.

The DOT line is all flexible. It's the reinforced nylon air line made for air brakes on trucks. It uses compression fittings.

kb426

I'm enjoying a day off. I rode 65 miles for breakfast early this am. I'm doing yard chores and then cleaning the deuce for Pueblo this next weekend. I love summer. :D
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Interesting ride to work this AM .. Left as always with my pickup..
( Pickup is ALWAYS used on "Garage sale Friday" ) ..  :D

Driving along the interstate at about 75/80 in the left lane with all the other commuters , saw about 1/4 mile ahead everybody slamming on brakes , going for the shoulders , etc ..  I started braking early , ( the cars in front of me had no idea yet about the back up ), & the pedal went to the floor ... :shock:     I hit the pedal again & locked up the rear brakes.. Slid/Steered the truck to the left side shoulder & thought I was going to make it ... Then 2 cars dove on to the shoulder in front of me .... :roll: .. I had no choice but to hit the barrier or hit the cars ...

I hit the barrier as "flat" as I could  but the L/F wheel caught the tapered bottom of the barrier & up the wall we went .... I remember banging my head on the upper door jamb & the truck coming back down .. A car was still in front of me so back into the wall we went ...
  This resulted in another "Head Bang" into the door jamb .... :(U)

Long story short ... I missed the cars...( Thank God !!) .. The skid marks showed the truck "Air born" for about 20' & then hitting the wall again ...

The marks on the barrier show that the L/F tire went to within about 4" from the top of the wall before the truck came down ... :shock:
 The police never stopped , ( or slowed down) , I got AAA to sent a flatbed to fetch me ....

The L/F corner of the truck needs some ,  aaahhhhhh,  "attention" at this point ... :oops:    What shocked me is that the truck twisted so hard it broke the fiberglass in the R/F corner of the bed &  tore the cap loose in the R/F corner ... :shock: .. No other damage on the right side & I KNOW that I hit nothing on that side ......

Parts are ordered ..All the FRONT brake lines get replaced this time ...  Life will go on... I hope the knot on my head goes away soon .... :lol:

Bob ...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

kb426

Bob, that doesn't sound like a good day. Glad you weren't seriously hurt.
TEAM SMART