What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I read a few issues of Car Craft and R&C from 1954-57. A friend loaned them to me. Pretty entertaining. The custom articles were the best part. "Let's go over to the salvage yard and get some Packard taillights". Pretty slim pickens in salvage yards in my area.
TEAM SMART

Boyd Who

Only had it a day but so far I LOVE my new truck!!  :D
Here's a couple pics...

I put it to work today delivering 10 appliances to a new condo project in town. Hardly knew there was a trailer behind it.   8)  

Crosley.In.AZ

built this XP-5 lockup power glide today.  It is coated with a carbon fiber looking material with clear powder coat.  Looks way neater in person.

Very intense parts in the XP series glides we build.  The input shafts are built of same material the axles of a 747 air craft wheels
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

The glide looks cool. Some parts shouldn't be covered by floor boards or shields. I finished the wiring on the Honda 160. I disassembled everything to make sure it would work. I now have lights, horn, and the starter should work. I honed the cylinders to the first oversize on a Sunnen rod hone. I didn't have access to a boring bar small enough to bore and then hone. In honor of all the vets: Thank you.
TEAM SMART

Boyd Who

*, that looks too good to put in a vehicle!!  :D

This morning I built an engine jig that I'd seen on the HAMB yesterday. It's adjustable so you can tilt and level the engine during mock-up. The legs are spaced to sit on top of the frame rails. It should make fitting the engine mounts 100 times easier than if the engine was hanging off a hoist.

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"built this XP-5 lockup power glide today.  It is coated with a carbon fiber looking material with clear powder coat.

so the customer bought the case, had it coated, then shipped it back?  or did you guys take care of the coating too?  neat-o

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Glen"
Quote from: "Crosley"built this XP-5 lockup power glide today.  It is coated with a carbon fiber looking material with clear powder coat.

so the customer bought the case, had it coated, then shipped it back?  or did you guys take care of the coating too?  neat-o

We have the case coated. You must be careful with the SFI stickers and numbers on them. When we first start with a new vendor on powder coat it is a process to get them to understand how important the numbers and certain surfaces of the cases are

It is the trans for the PRI show in december down in Florida. It is for sale at the show.  

I have built a couple of trans with this powder coating that looks like Carbon fiber. I am told it is not an inexpensive process.

We also have a full polished 4L80E trans setup for Ford Modular engine with our custom bell housing adapter for bolt on bell housing.  Bell housing is SFI rated.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

Boyd who, that is one neat fixture! I think I will use one like that next time

Flipper

[quote author="Boyd *, that looks too good to put in a vehicle!!  :D

This morning I built an engine jig that I'd seen on the HAMB yesterday. It's adjustable so you can tilt and level the engine during mock-up. The legs are spaced to sit on top of the frame rails. It should make fitting the engine mounts 100 times easier than if the engine was hanging off a hoist.

[/quote]

That is pretty darn neat.

Boyd Who

It's so simple it's ridiculous!  :lol:

I was scratching my head trying to come up with a way to safely hold the engine in place while I set my angles and trimmed my engine mounts. I kept thinking it had to cradle the engine underneath, which involved a lot more fabrication. It never occurred to me to go up!  :oops:

"Da Tinman" on the HAMB posted this design the other day and I thought it was brilliant. I'll post some pics of it in action later this weekend.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Boyd Who"It's so simple it's ridiculous!  :lol:

I was scratching my head trying to come up with a way to safely hold the engine in place while I set my angles and trimmed my engine mounts. I kept thinking it had to cradle the engine underneath, which involved a lot more fabrication. It never occurred to me to go up!  :oops:

"Da Tinman" on the HAMB posted this design the other day and I thought it was brilliant. I'll post some pics of it in action later this weekend.

Kudos, a simple and effective design. Wish I'd have thought of it.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

bucketmouth

Today my club the Goodfellas  are holding a Show n Shine and hopefully the weather will be fine.
Last week I went cross country for the Bright Rod Run in the roadster, I'll post some pix when I get a moment. :roll:
I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

kb426

I cleaned the head on the cb160. I lapped the valves and measured everything. It may get assembled tomorrow.
TEAM SMART

Rrumbler

Sitting here now, in "WHEW!" mode.  Our youngest son got married yesterday, his big bro was in from Calif., and all of the kids, and we had us a "circus" day.  Now, they have all gone back to their corners, and it is quiet again.

Escrow funded yesterday and we got the keys to the new place today, so now I am going to start setting up shelving in the garage over there, got a door to get replaced, and locks and hardware to get changed, and the moving will start.  At least it is only about five miles away, and we are still ok in this place for the time being, so maybe it won't be too much of a strain.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

kb426

I assembled the cl160 engine. The side covers need to be removed and polished and it's ready to install.
TEAM SMART