What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"whatcha dooin' with the anchor, cros?

slik ... it is called a full rebuild on ''numbers matchin car'' cast iron glide ... 1957 Chevy. I do not know which model of 57 chevy.

I did have to pop the bubble on the car never being touched with major rebuilds ... this trans has been apart and rebuilt at least once. Several tell-tale signs in the transmission
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"I did have to pop the bubble on the car never being touched with major rebuilds ... this trans has been apart and rebuilt at least once. Several tell-tale signs in the transmission

i bet you enjoyed that :lol:  i sure would have, especially if the owner had an attitude about it.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Carnut

heh, heh, I can remember having to deal with a couple of those iron case powerglides.

Both broke the reverse band, or whatever makes the go in reverse.

Heard at the time that it wasn't an uncommon problem.

Got an iron case pushbutton Torqueflite in my 61 Chrysler, hoping like heck nothing goes wrong with it.

kb426

I just finished moving the snow blower to the garage from the storage shed. I don't want to have to use it but it sure isn't any good where you can't get to it. I am painfully aware that I have more toys than storage space.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Carnut"heh, heh, I can remember having to deal with a couple of those iron case powerglides.

Both broke the reverse band, or whatever makes the go in reverse.

Heard at the time that it wasn't an uncommon problem.

Got an iron case pushbutton Torqueflite in my 61 Chrysler, hoping like heck nothing goes wrong with it.

The rear band in this  cast iron glide  was fine.  Broken rear band was a problem in these cast iron glides, I have no personal knowledge of that.  

Chevy came out with a suggested mod to avoid broken rear band. I performed that modification on this trans.... sshhhhhh, dont tell the current owner

:lol:
Tony

Mikej

Just got done putting up the the Nativity Scene inm the City Park. We designed a manger 4-5 years ago and it just bolts together in an hour. We have eleven full size figures that are made out of fiberglass. This is a Kiwanis project.

wayne petty

hmm...

In a small Southern town there was a nativity scene that indicated great skill and talent in its creation. One small feature bothered me though. The three wise men were wearing firemen's helmets.

Totally unable to come up with a reason or explanation, I left. At a "Quik Stop" on the edge of town, I asked the lady behind the counter about the helmets. She exploded into a rage, yelling at me, "You darn Yankees never do read the Bible!"

I assured her that I did, but simply couldn't recall anything about firemen in the Bible. She * her Bible from behind the counter and ruffled through some pages, and finally jabbed her finger at a particular passage.

Sticking it in my face she said, "See, it says right here, 'The three wise men came from afar.'"

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "wayne petty"hmm...

In a small Southern town there was a nativity scene that indicated great skill and talent in its creation. One small feature bothered me though. The three wise men were wearing firemen's helmets.

Totally unable to come up with a reason or explanation, I left. At a "Quik Stop" on the edge of town, I asked the lady behind the counter about the helmets. She exploded into a rage, yelling at me, "You darn Yankees never do read the Bible!"

I assured her that I did, but simply couldn't recall anything about firemen in the Bible. She * her Bible from behind the counter and ruffled through some pages, and finally jabbed her finger at a particular passage.

Sticking it in my face she said, "See, it says right here, 'The three wise men came from afar.'"

BIG GROANER. Made me smile though.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Rrumbler

That's one of my favorites, Wayne; as Charlie says, it never fails to get a couple of groans, an occasional dirty look, or one of total incomprehension.

Today is door hardware changing day; have to replace and re-key five entry sets at the new place, and meet the tile cleaners for an estimate, get the floors done before we start moving stuff in.  I may wind up building a gate, too: called a couple of local welder/fab guys for an estimate, and still have not heard from either of them; maybe it's time to do up some comprehensive drawings, make a cut list and get the metal ordered, get a new bottle of argon and put the Maxstar to work again.

Y'all have a good day, now.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

jaybee

My Dad remembers the early Powerglides quite well, having worked on them when new. The rear band problem in the very first units was due to a too-rapid pressure rise when engaging Reverse, shocking and breaking the band. The solution was to pound a lead plug into one of the fluid passages and drill it out to make a restriction in the flow, slowing the pressure rise.

He also remembers the first sbc's going through oil as fast as you could pour it in. Obviously they got both those things fixed.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Charlie Chops 1940

Speaking of early p'glides...I had a '57 210 post 265/glide car when I first got married. Used to rest my right hand on the shift lever and more than once hit a bump and slapped it into reverse...not much detent in those early column shifters. The trans never died and the car was in the family for a number of years.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "jaybee"My Dad remembers the early Powerglides quite well, having worked on them when new. The rear band problem in the very first units was due to a too-rapid pressure rise when engaging Reverse, shocking and breaking the band. The solution was to pound a lead plug into one of the fluid passages and drill it out to make a restriction in the flow, slowing the pressure rise.

He also remembers the first sbc's going through oil as fast as you could pour it in. Obviously they got both those things fixed.

kool ,  

if you look at the photo I posted of the case internals. You can see the line of holes in shape of a banana (on left in case) , where the term of banana gasket came from.

The shiney hole of that group is the feed passage to reverse servo. I tapped that, installed a restrictor plug
Tony

jaybee

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "jaybee"My Dad remembers the early Powerglides quite well, having worked on them when new. The rear band problem in the very first units was due to a too-rapid pressure rise when engaging Reverse, shocking and breaking the band. The solution was to pound a lead plug into one of the fluid passages and drill it out to make a restriction in the flow, slowing the pressure rise.

kool ,  

if you look at the photo I posted of the case internals. You can see the line of holes in shape of a banana (on left in case) , where the term of banana gasket came from.

The shiney hole of that group is the feed passage to reverse servo. I tapped that, installed a restrictor plug

Nice! Looks like some mods stand the test of time.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Land Yacht

1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

chimp koose

Alternator went bad on my wifes 92 silverado. I buy one and install it with a new belt . within the hour of purchase I am calling the parts store for warranty as in the 2 mile drive home from the shop ,the alternator siezed and snapped the new belt. Do they just throw these things together or do they still do quality checks before the parts get sold?