What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I repainted the gas tank that I painted last weekend.  :) It was real nice here. I exercised all the bikes and the deuce.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

i started on this switch panel this afternoon.  need to mount it some how, paint it, label it

:idea:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Rrumbler

Started work on the '59 pickup on Saturday, got to be able to move it so I can move it. Poor ol' thing has been sitting so long the tires gave out when I tried moving it, so getting it back on rubber is first priority, and trying to do it without spending an arm and a leg is a challenge.  Maybe I can find a donor for an extra arm or leg.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Mikej

Quote from: "GPster"I got daring and drove the middle Jeep up the street to lunch Wednesday (it looked like rain). When I finished eating I walked outside and sure enough rain. Everything was fine and I drove it home and put it in reverse to back it into the driveway. The column shift wouldn't go into reverse or park position. I drove it around the block and drove it into the driveway nose first and left it because of the rain. Later I checked it  and the bellcrank for the linkage between the engine and the frame was making the linkage hit the bellhousing so that it coulddn't go to the last two gear positions. When I bought this Jeep the guy told me that he had had trouble with the shifting but had gotten it fixed. I figured the problems had come about due to the body lift kit so I corrected some of his "Mickey Mouse" fix and thought it was OK till I had driven it enough for everything to rattle into position. I modified the bellcrank to get some clearance because I had no way of knowing if his "fix" involved using the right parts or not. Put it together 2 different ways to see if it looked engineered and started to look on line to see if I could find a parts diagram that might show the proper positions for the parts. Found nothing except people on Jeep sites complaining how bad Jeeps shifted and how they were happy with their B&M shifters. Found a site with 17 Jeep profesionals to answer your questions FREE. The only free part was where they allowed me to ask the question. It would be $38.00 to give me a satisfactory answer. It took me so long to type the question I gave them my Discover card number with the hope I would be satisfied that much. Got a reply this morning wanting the s/n and the build number before they would go any further. I've bought enough stuff for this thing that I know that most of these kind of parts are '80 to '86 and the common stuff is '76 to '86 and I told them I just wanted a picture. It took me 1/2 hour to fill out the forms for a refund. I figured that $38.00 might go better towards a floor shift kit. Went through Jeep sites for shifters they were recomending because B&M wasn't showing Jeep as an application. This Jeep has a 999 torqueflight transmission which is like the 904 but if it was going to require a special installation kit that would add to the price. While fumbling through a Jeep site there was a question from a guy that was having the same problem as me. In the answers there was a parts diagram but it was hard to see and it wouldn't inlarge. I squinted at it closely and I think I found the problem. The bellcrank was installed downside-up so that the arms were positioned for the rods to be long enough. I put it together the way of the picture and it worked. So I turned the jeep around in the driveway so it doesn't look like a casualty. Fixing that and typing about it it what I did today. GPster

I can see where all the typing would wear a guy out. :lol:

GPster

Quote from: "Mikej"I can see where all the typing would wear a guy out. :lol:
Me trying to make sure everybody undestands what I'm talking about is counter-productive. At least somebody read it. GPster

enjenjo

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "Mikej"I can see where all the typing would wear a guy out. :lol:
Me trying to make sure everybody undestands what I'm talking about is counter-productive. At least somebody read it. GPster

We all read it Joe. You just had it covered already.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

I read the whole thing. :D

Today I started putting the Buick head back on . I have a 4554 OTC torque angle gage. It is a piece of junk. I have ordered a Lisle 28100. So, I am stuck until 8am tomorrow. That is my tool review for today. :shock:
Don Colliau

UGLY OLDS

Joe .....Be careful with those  "Free Help" sites & your credit cards ...
Rule # 1 .... There ain't no free nuthin'

Rule #2 ... See rule # 1 ...

You will do MUCH better asking for help HERE than at those sites ...We ain't gonna BS you & hold you up so the "minutes" raise higher & higher so it costs you more ...  :shock:

PLEASE call Frank for help before visiting those sites .... :idea:

Bob ........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

GPster

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"You will do MUCH better asking for help HERE than at those sites ...We ain't gonna BS you & hold you up so the "minutes" raise higher & higher so it costs you more ...  :shock:
PLEASE call Frank for help before visiting those sites .... :idea:
Bob ........ :wink:
I know that's true but I wanted to slow down my asking before everyone got tired of answering. Loking at my Discover statement I think I was successful with getting off their list. GPster (?)

Charlie Chops 1940

Kinda digging into a '31 A coupe on '32 rails for a young local fellow. At one time the back of the body was hacked off with a torch diagonally from the upper trunk line area down towards the lower rear corner area...and then at some later point in its life it was gas welded back together.

It's shorter - front of the pass. wheel well to the rear and also lower at the back. By 3/8" - 1/2", take your pick. I'm building a bulkhead framework under the rear window to the floor and side to side so  that I can"fix" the car's shape at that point before I surgically (in comparison) hack the pass. side loose vertically at the trunk line.

Does anyone have a '30/31 that they can give me an average measurement for from the lower front edge of the fender well opening back to the center of the hole that goes through the wheel well and the Cee shaped panel below the lower trunk panel?

Thanks,

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

Might be easier to make an extended cab pick-up out of it. Doesn't Brookville make the whole quarter panel? Sounds worse than the one I built one time. Some restorer must have wanted to change one from trunk to rumbleseat. Took the back window from the roof seam to seam, lid with gutters and the back end section from wheel well to wheel well. For $15.00 I bought what was left from a widow. Her husband had committed suicide. Nice to her of an "Old Guy" helping a fellow that's not related to him. Moose is building one but I haven't seen anything from him for a while. Maybe you could PM him.  GPster (that was short)

mrloboy

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"
Does anyone have a '30/31 that they can give me an average measurement for from the lower front edge of the fender well opening back to the center of the hole that goes through the wheel well and the Cee shaped panel below the lower trunk panel?

Thanks,

Charlie

Hi Charlie. I have an original unmolested '31 coupe in my garage. Not sure sure if I have the right measurements for you, but I will try. I measured from the front edge of the fender opening to the centre of the "crow-foot" body line at 17-3/4". I also measured from the front edge to the rear fender mounting boss as 33-7/16". This was on the drivers side. The passenger side was a 1/4" shorter on both measurements. If you need more info I can check further. Rick

enjenjo

Getting ready to go out west again. Spent the day getting supplies for my son that he can't get out there. Mostly food.

Harry

Where is he, that there is no food?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Harry"Where is he, that there is no food?

There is food there, just not the local to here stuff he can't get. Hot dog sauce, Pizza sauce. Baked beans, ect.