What are you doing today?

Started by enjenjo, April 23, 2010, 04:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikej

"I can't remember how long ago my ear ringing started. Will a gun in the left ear really end it? "

Van Gough tried cutting his off but maybe it just itched.

Going to finish the new shed so I can start storing parts as I take them off the Comet. May hide the SBC in the back somewhere. Don't want the Comet to start getting nervous yet.

58 Yeoman

Took the trencher back today.  I took off yesterday afternoon, so I could pick up the trencher early.  When I got there, he said it hadn't been returned yet, but would be there by 4pm.  I wasted time until 3:30, when he called and said it had been returned, but the renter had broken the digging chain.  It wouldn't be ready til next week.

He called around and found another place that would rent one for the weekend.  What he didn't tell me was that this one was over twice as expensive; $155 vs $450.  The guy ended up renting it to me til 5pm Saturday, so I went home and dug all the ditches in near darkness in two hours, and returned the maching this am at 8:30.  Geez. It only cost me $225.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"
He called around and found another place that would rent one for the weekend.  What he didn't tell me was that this one was over twice as expensive; $155 vs $450.  The guy ended up renting it to me til 5pm Saturday, so I went home and dug all the ditches in near darkness in two hours, and returned the maching this am at 8:30.  Geez. It only cost me $225.

the equipment rental business is something. When I rent a small tractor for landscape work here at the house.. it is near 200 dollars a day with trailer and all the fees they hit you with. It's been 4 yrs, so I imagine the rate is higher now

and ... you have the tractor for 24 hours, but can only use it for 8 hours on the meter. Every tenth of an hour over 8 hours is some ridiculous amount of extra $ .

Everything is 'your fault and you pay' ... the place I use loaded a tractor on the trailer and I noticed a front tire going down.  They aired it up. I tossed a fit because if I come back with the tractor  and the tire is going flat ..  I pay for repair.

:!:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Yeah, the new guy told me that I must've been wrong about the price on the broken one; no way could they rent it from Friday afternoon to Monday morning for $155 when his was $450.  AND, he told me that he also charges for the trailer, whereas the first place the trailer was included.  Granted, maybe the DitchWitch wouldn't have been as good as his Vermeer, but hey, it was only a couple hundred feet.

BTW, the jack didn't work on the Vermeer trailer, and the contact switch was iffy to engage the gears.  Anyway, most of the trench is dug, the rest is by hand; behind the propane tank and over the underground power lines.

Phil

river1

there is a local guy that will come trench my yard for a very reasonable price. the two times i had him out his rate was less then the price of rental AND he did the work. WIN WIN in my book.

i think this is the guy. he didn't have a website when i used him last. hell i didn't even have a computer back then. his prices have gone up a bit but what hasn't :lol:

http://www.trenchmasters.com/

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

taxpyer

Hi Boyd,
                   My Essex is a four door (all four are suicide doors) Just missing the drivers side ,Thanks for any help if it is possible. :wink:

I too have the ring in the ears. guess it comes with the grey hair and years of machinery and trucks. :roll:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

Crosley.In.AZ

Went to Speedworld drag strip today.  had a good time
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Hooley and Sam Woodard put on a great show at the drag strip yesterday match racing the Henry J's.  I ran in the Open Gas bracket race and I went out in the third round.  It was driver error, as I brought up the RPM's the old truck moved and pushed through the the staging light and I lit the red.  I guess I did not have the brake set hard enough. It was still fun.  I think I was the only one racing that drove to the strip and drove home.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

39deluxe

My son came over yesterday and we started on the second stage of a retaining wall. I'll have a nice flat area when done for a second patio.

As for the tinnitus there is no cure but there are many things you can do to aggravate it. The audiologist at the VA hospital last Thursday rattled off a list of things to avoid.  The 2 that applied to me were Tylenol and Coffee. I live on coffee. I have a good degree of auditory nerve damage that limits what I can hear in the high tones. She says I miss a lot of nature and it also causes background noise to limit hearing people talking plainly. My wife still thinks it's just selective hearing loss.

I love my wireless TV headphones. I can watch TV when I come home from work in the middle of the night without disturbing the wife. They do make things clearer. Sometimes I use them just because it's easier to hear.

Tom

Boyd Who

I had a fairly productive day in the shop. I fabbed up some rad mounts and tacked them on, set the rear springs and axle in place so I could measure for u-bolts and bottom plates, plus I got all the dimensions needed for boxing plates. As soon as I have some time I'll head down to Loboy's Rod Shop and get Rick to cut them out with his CNC plasma machine. Sure beats the hell out of trying to torch them out by hand.  :P

enjenjo

I'm rebuilding a set of control arms for a 56 Chevy. Burned all the bushings out, I wish I knew a better way, but I don't. Top ones are done, I have to blast and assemble the lower ones.

One more wire to run on the 50 Chevy, and that will be done.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

32coupe

I took the coupe for it's maiden voyage with the new Hemi, I thought where better to go than where i was headed when she let go, so off to Tumut I went.

All up about 450Klms round trip, the engine went great, ran cool and had good oil pressure all the way there and back, all I need to do now is sort out the new trans, T700 4 speed with that TV cable that needs to be set just right.

Andrew
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

mrloboy

That is looking great Al! Must make you feel great to see the chassis coming together. Look forward to going for a ride next summer! Give me a call when you want the pieces cut. If you call me with the measurements I can have them ready. If you are busy, a fellow from Baldur works in Neepawa, travels daily and would likely delivery them to you, unless you want to come for a visit and want to watch the pieces cut. Your call! Rick

Boyd Who

Thanks Rick!

Yes, it feels great to finally be making some progress on the beast. I did very little to it over the summer. I highly doubt it'll be ready for next summer though. My goal is to be back on the road in time for the Super Run in Brandon in '13.

I'd most definitely want to come down for a visit and get the parts cut. It's been awhile since I've dropped by. I may have some time next week, I'll let you know.

Hey, I don't suppose you have any '53-56 Ford F-100 front brakes lying around, do you? I'm looking for a set for the Essex.

58 Yeoman

I'm done with the longer trench, about 150', all the landscaping is done except for the grass seed. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'll start on the one behind the shop, about 80'.

Last year, I bought a small Mantis tiller at a garage sale for $35...what a handy gadget.  I used it to dig a trench behind the propane tank, plus pulverize the clay gumbo soil that the trencher tossed out.  That stuff is heavy and sticky.  I used the Mantis to dig a trench almost 20" deep.

Phil