A new project

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, June 03, 2009, 10:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

That's going to be a unique and beautiful car.  Nice work and already I can see where you're going with it.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

kool stuff...  I like the odd ball cars....   8)  8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

George - now that you're retar...retired we need to have lunch one day coming or going. Hope  you're doing better.

Jaybee - sorta eurotrash/amature touring/trans-am.....

Tony - I'm with you on odd-ball. I've always thought your Dart/Valient is/was cool.

All I can say is that I'm inspired at the moment.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Charlie Chops 1940

Well, I've went as far as I can on the MII front end until funds become available for some more parts.

Today I decided to start widening the driver's side rear fender. I added a 4-1/2" strip in sections I've got about 2/3's of it tacked together. Here's a few shots.

I cut the mounting flange and 1/4" of the fender off and bolted it to the body. I prepared a section about 8" long to start at the lower front. Lots of stacks of lumber and a few clamps. Hope to start on the passenger side tomorrow and get it to the same point before I tackle the rear sections.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Looking good so far Charlie.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Jaybee - sorta eurotrash/amature touring/trans-am.....

For that you'll need painted aluminum wheels and some giant subwoofers pumping out techno music.  (ponders the "possibilities" in that)
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

purplepickup

Thanks for the pics.  Looking good 8)
George

moose

Coming along good Charlie.

Tim

enjenjo

Are you TIG welding them?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "enjenjo"Are you TIG welding them?

No, I'm wire welding them. My TIG skills on 20ga aren't suitable yet (I'm good to go on 16ga though). I have been putting a slight crown on each section with the english wheel, which makes a ton of difference as far as warpage goes. I expected a bunch of problems with this part of the project but so far it's going real good.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"

No, I'm wire welding them. My TIG skills on 20ga aren't suitable yet (I'm good to go on 16ga though). I have been putting a slight crown on each section with the english wheel, which makes a ton of difference as far as warpage goes. I expected a bunch of problems with this part of the project but so far it's going real good.

Charlie

fenders look good so far... a slight crown on the top sections  will help the looks too
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I like what I see. What are you going to use for a dash and the rest of the interior?
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

KB426 - not sure yet on the dash. I've got a couple OE units but they aren't too inspiring. May use the top and outer edges of one and fill in between or just fab a simple race type and go with separate gauges and toggle switches. I saw some Classic Instruments aircraft style gauges I like but they are pricey for right now.

The interior plan is a full cage, two front seats, spare tire and some luggage in the rear seat area.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

Charlie Chops 1940

Well, here's the driver's fender stitched together. Will get started on the other one today, and make it look somewhat the same.However, as Ohiobluetip so aptly put it yesterday...you can only see one side at a time. That's encouraging - LOL.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

Charlie Chops 1940

Got the passenger side pretty much done and into a light guide coat of primer on the affected area.

On the way to Speed Week last summer I happened to stop by Dwight  Bonds shop in Gibbon, NE. Got the dime tour and also bought the rear window section out of a '40 Ford sedan. Have had it laying over the original opening since then but got a hair up yesterday and trimmed it to fi., Tacked it in place today.

It's a '64 split window now.

Charlie

A Hooligan!