A new project

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, June 03, 2009, 10:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

That's it Wayne, you're on my short list...LOL.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"That's it Wayne, you're on my short list...LOL.

Charlie

I spell it with an I instead of an OR. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"That's it Wayne, you're on my short list...LOL.

Charlie

I spell it with an I instead of an OR. :roll:

but we ain't talking about fatcat.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Crosley"but we ain't talking about fatcat.

HEY! what did I do?  :D

wchappo

That's okay Charlie,i used to be 5'10'',now i'm5'9",& i'm sure i'm on a few of those lists spelt with an I :lol: ,anyway you have enspired me to go out to the shed tomorrow,& do something,however i might do it the next day or the day after,or then, again i might just sit in my pondering chair& have another bourban,why get out of my "Jammies",its winter here, :roll:  Chappo

river1

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "Crosley"but we ain't talking about fatcat.

HEY! what did I do?  :D

a better question would be, what DIDN'T you do?

:twisted:  :twisted:
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Charlie Chops 1940

Here's a few pics of the latest.

I removed the skinny 8" rear that was in the car and have fit an 8-3/4 mopar rear that allows use of 9-1/2" wide wheels and 295-50-15 tires. I'll have to widen the fenders about 3-1/2".

I installed a 22 gallon '70 Mustang gas tank which entailed removing the spare tire well and encroaching some into the tool well.

I've started on the installation of a Welder Series standard width (56") MII cross-member kit. It's turning into a custom installation but, as Ohiobluetip would say...we have the technology.

Enjoy.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Mac

Nice progress.
Just wondering how your locating the rear. The OE is trailing arms and coils IIRC.
Who\'s yer Data?

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "Mac"Nice progress.
Just wondering how your locating the rear. The OE is trailing arms and coils IIRC.

I'm using the OE system. I boxed the trailing arms and will use an optimized adjustable panhard bar to match the ride height, coil springs, replacement gas shocks and a 3/4" panhard bar.  Everything is mounted in poly bushings. I fabricated attachment points for the original mounts for the trailing arms and the panhard bar. Forgot to take pictures of all that.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

river1

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Forgot to take pictures of all that.

TSK TSK :lol:

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I installed a 22 gallon '70 Mustang gas tank which entailed removing the spare tire well and encroaching some into the tool well.

is the tank in backwards in the pic?

later jim

Charlie Chops 1940

Mind like a steel trap...yes, the tank is in backwards to it's usual application. I will be running a fill tube to a large AC Cobra style flip top fuel cap in the sail area above the drivers rear fender.  The sending unit, pick up tube is in the rear (now) lower half.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

river1

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"Mind like a steel trap...yes, the tank is in backwards to it's usual application. I will be running a fill tube to a large AC Cobra style flip top fuel cap in the sail area above the drivers rear fender.  The sending unit, pick up tube is in the rear (now) lower half.

Charlie

neat adaption of a stock part!  i'm not a fan of trunk mounted fuel fillers, too much chance for spillage IMHO so i like your plan

later jim

wayne petty

i just saw a new C30 volvo today...

http://www.volvocars.com/us/models/C30/Pages/default.aspx

it sure looks like a retro P1800PS  what do you think???

this has got better side views

http://www.volvocars.com/us/models/c30/Pages/techSpec.aspx

the original .. for those with bad memories
http://www.automotorsport.se/bigpix/2008/volvo_1800_big.jpg

ps i LOVE what you are doing with the rear fenders...

i did not get a chance to notice.. if you are going to put in a pie wedge or two fenders on each side... with some english rolling to make them fit before welding ...

Charlie Chops 1940

Wayne,

It has a sort of vague family resemblance.

I'm not sure I understand your question on the fenders. But, the plan now, before I've cut anything, is the trim off the mounting flange with about 1/4" of the fender itself and bolt that in the opening. Then tack in a half dozen or so 3-1/2" standoffs front to rear and some longer ones to stabilize the rear lower fender. Then I will make a series of 6-8" filler panels appropriately crowned in the wheel.

I tried making one long filler on a similar fender years ago and it overwhelmed my talents at the time. Everything is subject to change as the metal wrinkler meets success or challenge.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

purplepickup

Man, you didn't let any dust settle on this project did you?  I see why you're motivated.  It's gonna be a beauty.

I wanted to swing through Muskegon to see what you've been up to on my way home from the cabin Saturday but I came down with the flu just before I left.
George