English - Aussie Translation Dictionary

Started by parklane, March 01, 2005, 08:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Cool

Quote from: "parklane"All right ! Now we're beginning to understand y'all. Still can't find the meaning of fluoxed, in an earlier post. :?  8)
John
Never heard of that one, must be something thats been made up. Maybe the wise koala knows what it means.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

klassik

Quote from: "Mr Cool"
Quote from: "parklane"All right ! Now we're beginning to understand y'all. Still can't find the meaning of fluoxed, in an earlier post. :?  8)
John
Never heard of that one, must be something thats been made up. Maybe the wise koala knows what it means.

Scroll up a couple of posts mate. He meant flumoxed.

Craig
Before you criticise anyone walk a mile in their shoes, then you will be a mile away and you will have their shoes :lol:

Mr Cool

Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Mikej

Being from the midwest and not having an accent, I find all of yours humurous :lol: . We do speak closer to how English is written than most. Although we do have a few words that we abuse. warsh(wash) crick(creek) pop(soda) warshboard(washboard= rough spot on a gravel road). Like someone already said, we ususally spell them right but pronounce them wrong. I don't post to often but I'm enjoying all you new guys on the board. My wife is from Germany. Now she has an accent :lol:

choco

Quote from: "Brootal"THONG = Choco's favourite footwear, usually purchased from Truckstop 31, Marulan as it's the last true place where you can 'double-pluggers' for $6. :)

Actually, my "favourite" footwear is ripple soled DBs. I wear thongs and shorts in the summer like everyone else with no fashion sense. Of course you, my friend, are a fashion ho, and wouldn't be caught dead in anything as grungy as thongs and stubbies. Then again, you're still young and easily influenced, so if I can just get you to spend a little more time in my garage, who knows?
:b-d:
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Frank Choco Munday, Technical Author
Hot Rod Handbooks

Brootal

Quote from: "choco"
Quote from: "Brootal"THONG = Choco's favourite footwear, usually purchased from Truckstop 31, Marulan as it's the last true place where you can 'double-pluggers' for $6. :)

Of course you, my friend, are a fashion ho

Why thankyou... I think. But I'm not the only one! :)

Check out this bunch of.... how you say.... POOFTAHS!!!  :lol:

Quoteand wouldn't be caught dead in anything as grungy as thongs and stubbies.

Thongs yes... Stubbies??? Not so much.

QuoteThen again, you're still young and easily influenced, so if I can just get you to spend a little more time in my garage, who knows? :b-d:
My feet are in bad enough shape already without dropping Mopar engine parts on my thong-equipped feet!!!
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

choco

Quote from: "bcal"In fact I was quite surprised at the contribution that America has made to our language. Much more than first thought.
For those that rue the Americanisms that are currently creeping in to Austlish, we lost that battle long ago because we already use with far more American english than ever imagined.

I am conducting a Technical Writing Course next week at the Police College in Canberra. It's a cut down version of a few of the courses that I wrote for the University of Canberra several years ago - Tech Writing, Creative Writing and Business Writing. One of the topics includes "Americanisms" and dispels the common belief that we blindly follow the American derivation of some of our words. It's actually US that has created the double standards. For instance, many literary "giants" in this country decry the increasing use of words such as "color" instead of "colour", "honor", "labor" "humour" "glamour" etc. But, in our language, we have always spelled derivatives of -our words the same way. F'rinstance "humorous", "honorary" , "glamorous", etc.

For years, I have taken the mickey out of American words like "deplane" and "debark" (used by hosties announcing that it's time to get off the plane - disembark the plane). Well, the American Heritage Dictionary actually lists these words as real words - the term "Debark" is derived from the French "Debarque", to alight from a boat or ship.
Then again, the American Heritage Dictionary also lists the word "discombobulate" (to throw into a state of confusion).
Here's a couple more "American" words that have developed in recent times:
Cromulent
Embiggen
Tomacco

Gotta love them Goober words!
Frank Choco Munday, Technical Author
Hot Rod Handbooks

X38

I got "Yins" in Ohio. It's like youse (I think).

Of course, let's not forget Queensland words like port, duchess and peanut paste.

And you can get sarsparilla anywhere in QLD, NSW it's like rocking horse *.

Ain't regional differences cute!

jeffa

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"If you think Aussie writing is hard to understand you should try talking one on one.  I spent 10 wounderful days on R&R in Sidney way back when and it took me 3 days to really start communicating with the lady I met on night one in the Wentworth Hotel bar.  Turned out to be quite a conversationalist.
Ah well, in THAT case, "she" wasn't Australian....

jeffa

Quote from: "hotrodmatt"

I thought they were called "go-aheads" cause you can't go backwards in them...

These yanks will think you are talking underwear.
Sorry HotRodMatt: but why can't you go backwards in underwear??
Don't your's HAVE a flap?

jeffa

Quote from: "32coupe"Noooooooooooooooooooo
Don't go there..............................I don't want to think about the tattoo on his asss again. I am still having nightmares :(U)
Now, c'mon guys. Let's spare a thought for the bloke with the best job in the world: Chocco's tatooist....

jeffa

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "Mr Cool"Yeah our language can fill a book.

As my kid would say..."DERRERR!

The book is called a dictionary.   :wink:

And here's a little snippet of information for ya.  It's widely agreed by linguists arouund the globe, that the American version is much more pure and closer to the original English language than what the Poms currently use.
Hey Carps: Have you ever met one of these "linguists"? Cunning b.u.g.g.e.r.s aren't they..