English - Aussie Translation Dictionary

Started by parklane, March 01, 2005, 08:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parklane

I think what we need here is a English - Aussie translation dictionary. Some of the words/phrases that we're getting on this board now are difficult to decipher If some of our "southern" friends could help us out here , it would be appreciated :D  :D
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Brootal

Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

32coupe

For instance...........................................
If you can\'t fix it with a hammer, you\'ve got an electrical problem

Bib_Overalls

If you think Aussie writing is hard to understand you should try talking one on one.  I spent 10 wounderful days on R&R in Sidney way back when and it took me 3 days to really start communicating with the lady I met on night one in the Wentworth Hotel bar.  Turned out to be quite a conversationalist.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Dusty

I spent some time in Browns Plain, and also in Goolagong, about 8 years ago, and I didn't have any troouble at all.  I think I'll just shoot on through...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Anonymous

If you think the Aussies are bad try talkin / bein an Aussie in the US.

Waitress with deep south accent had no idea what I said ( :lol: ) The mate I was travelin with had to translate, boy was that a  :lol: over a few beers.

Hey I understood Fluent Hot Rod was spoken in all languages. :wink:

I should add it is nice of you Guys to make us Aussies feel so at  home after the tragic loss of HRI.

And Beer in Queensland is spelt XXXX they never got past that. Mind you us Victorians learnt to spell when XXXX went North.

old32

Quote from: "parklane"I think what we need here is a English - Aussie translation dictionary. Some of the words/phrases that we're getting on this board now are difficult to decipher If some of our "southern" friends could help us out here , it would be appreciated :D  :D
John

You mean something like this
http://www.byronbayonline.com.au/byron_bay_online_slang_dict/index.html
:twisted:  :twisted: The Older I Get The Faster I Was :twisted:  :twisted:

Anonymous

Just what they need to see Old32.

Now these Americans will see only some one like Carps gives such an fair dinkum ear bashing.  :lol:  
Perhaps they will also see he is full of it  :lol:  :lol:

hotrodmatt

A * is not an *.

I remember a yank saying how disgusted he was to see a cocktail in an Australian bar called "* Juice".

hotrodmatt

Quote from: "hotrodmatt"A * is not an #####.

Bloody hell. Even a r s e gets hashed (or pounded as you guys call it) out.

Mr Cool

Yeah our language can fill a book.
Alot of our words come from others that unfortunately have no meaning with them whatsoever.
"Seppo" for example means American. Its ryming slang, taken from Septic tank which rymes with yank. Just like a "Joe Blake" means snake, its simply ryming slang. And a "dogs eye" is a pie.
I imagine it would take a while for you lot to get the hang of it, for us it comes naturally.
If youve got any words that need translating just post them here, someone will do it for sure.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

38HAULR

I work for a US multinational,and you should have heard the laughter here when we looked at a package labelled "* pack".We have our own problems here in OZ ,between states,that ,beer which ,I must admit is good ,from Queensland labelled "xxxx" ,is only so named because they could not spell beer .  ...........Frank.

Anonymous

so just a quck trip up the Frog & Toad to MrCools.

Mr Cool

Quote from: "TISOK"so just a quck trip up the Frog & Toad to MrCools.
Have you seen that big button called SPELL CHECK yet?
Use it will ya. How are these guys gunna learn if you cant spell.
How many times do I havta tell ya.
Those things hangin off your ears are glasses, put em in front of your bloody eyes.

Oh, and another translation "Ralph" = to throw up = to be sick.
That IS your name isnt it ?
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Anonymous

Perhaps the quck was meant to give off a Kiwi accent you know as in Fush & Chups.

As for Ralph it was the first thing I did when I was born so the name stuck..... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: